Register now to get rid of these ads!

driving rods to paso

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped top, May 29, 2006.

1. I've been looking through my pictures and posted pictures of paso and I have to admit I'm more than impressed with the rodders that DROVE to paso from wherever. The traffic was bumper to bumper. Speeds 75-85, the roads are potholed and rough and everyday drivers dont give rods any consideration. Talking to the Flyrite guys they drove from AUSTIN. That is hardcore. I live 6 hours away and wont drive my 34 truck! What a great show and I'm Impressed! Mark

2. The best part of Paso is the drive there and back! The sound of the pipes, the fresh air, the friendly waves, the cool iron you see on the road,I really look forward to it every year. This year we had awesome roadster weather!!
    It was nice to meet you and chat a little, see you next year.

3. Couldn't agree more. Just awsome being on the road, travelin with some buds, seeing other rods and customs on the road and at the gas stops, etc. It was great weather this year, not too hot, just great.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I am not far away in Fresno and I have to admit yes the drive is awesome and it tells the rodder what kind of a Hot Rod they have built. Also I was very impressed with Muttley driving on his own to Paso and it was a pleasure following him back. SOLID.

5. Rich R

Rich R
    from SoCal

yeah the drive Paso this year was awsome! the weather was perfect, and the cars ran great, for me half the fun and excitement was making it there in a car I just finished putting together, although we usually take the reliable ol' 62' Chrysler, (which my wife drove up this time), it was the coupes first long highway run and it made it without any problems, and what an awsome drive, so yeah, driving rods to Paso is for sure half the fun!

6. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

I saw and passed lots of trailered cars on the road to and from Paso. Many of them would be so beautiful on the road..... however, up on the trailer they tend to look like a fat ass medallion on a gold chain..... you know, like those rapper guys wore in the 80's.....

Using metal for medallions is the biggest waste, as medallions have no utility-- only looks. Metal is supposed to be for utility and beauty.

-scott noteboom

7. I agree 100%! DRIVE your car everywhere, I can't believe some of the cars I saw on trailers this weekend, I made all but about 40 miles from home when a U-Joint let go, here's what you do while you wait for the tow truck!

8. 55olds88

55olds88

1/2 the fun is in the journey to anything, hell at least you got the weather for it guys here just ran prolly 12 hours straight driving + a 3 hour ferry ride in some pretty un summer conditions to get home from the Beach Hop and had done the same kind of road trip on the way up, they had a blast, for me its only about 1 1/2 hours each way but great fun and like Paso cool to see all the other stuff out and about, somewhere is a pic of one of the more high dollar rods here driving through a flodded bit of road on the way down and the water was not shallow, no trailer drive it and enjoy it.

9. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

what is the route of choice coming/going from so cal? I-5 & 46 or taking the 101?
    I did not see as many on the 46 and I 5 as I was hoping coming or going.....

10. Seeing the cars on the road is awesome, not having mine roadable for long trips just makes me really appreciate the cars that you see that were driven. Realizing what a great job you guys did on the builds. They just dont look fantastic but they drive as well. Mark

11. flynstone

flynstone

here are some yakety yaks on the road

Attached Files:

12. flynstone

flynstone

more

Attached Files:

13. Luke, great video...wish I could save that one.

It just may go down in history.

:)

RIGHT ON!

14. Muttley

Muttley

The drive there and back ruled.......getting passed by Semi's pulling doubles going uphill didnt rule. :rolleyes: :D :cool:

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too cool !!!!

16. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

with out driving them whats the piont

17. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

Right on! Drove in on Thursday with not much traffic at all doin the 55-65 thing. Sunday as even better. After getting passed a few times on 46 I punched it to keep up with a Porche. That was the first time i had my car over 100. We settled down around 75-80 and I didn't get passed or have to pass anyone all the way to I-5. Bitchin!

18. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I took the 101 down to LA and passed many trailer queens. I broke down, once, people stopped and helped, I stopped twice the help others.
    The road takes it and the road gives it back
    Being at Paso was great but I in all honesty I really wanted to drive my car and not just talk about it.
    Driving is always the highlite of a carshow for me.
    Don't be afraid, just drive you'r cars. Just remember, a car is useless if you don't drive it.

19. Retrorod

Retrorod

I hope they fix 101 some day, my kidneys were pretty much pounded out from Thousand Oaks to almost Buellton, rough ass road!! Good to see all you blokes up there!! Good to see all the rods ON THE ROAD.

I loves yo' truck Muttley!! Nice piece!

20. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

AMEN!! Driving there is what it's all about. If you break down you fix it. That just makes the ride more interesting. The 101 is one of the most beautiful drive anywhere in America. -stick

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree, the drive there and back can be a blast. Whats the point of building a car if you aren't going to drive the friggen thing?? Hell there are some long hauls to get to some runs especialy over here. It was a 6 day drive 10 hours a day just to get to the nationals when I lived in Perth and I loved it. Then you gotta do it all again to get home.
    Driving rules, towing is for broke cars and race cars.
    Doc.

22. Rusty

Rusty

Thats the only way to do it. The Dirty's last year

[​IMG]

23. I agree the drive is what makes the trip. My 38 made the trip without any issues, just great driving. My wife and I went back north using Hwy 1 along the coast Sunday, the weather was perfect and the views can't be beat.

24. Chapulin

Chapulin
    from Hell Monte

I had a great time driving to paso for the first time. My 30 ran great 3500 rpm going about 70mph. It took about 5hrs with gas stops and a chance for the blood to come back into my spine. Loud engine...trembling car...and nothing to think about...But fuck it was cold.

25. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I put over 1,000 miles on my car for Paso this week and I really think I enjoyed the driving as much or more than the show.

Sure, at times it is stressful - like when I split a water pump gasket in the middle of nowhere - and you certainly hear every tiny strange noise amplified, but it really motivates me to sort out my car and refine it to a level I wouldn't bother with if I just made short trips not too far from home or the safety of a trailer.

It really makes you depend on yourself and your ability to keep the car working.

I really don't understand the whole trailer thing. It's gotta be a hassle with all the loading and unloading and towing.

Why not just jump in & go?

Total freedom!

And the feeling of accomplishment when you pull back into your garage after being all over the place in something you made yourself is better than any other part of it all.

The dudes that drive out from Texas are studs - that's a seriously long ass drive in a rod!

26. Driving there and back is the only way to do it if you can, to any show. Of course I live 3 hours away and ain't driving from other states.

27. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

My Lincoln ran great there and back. I would take it just about anywhere. Except for the drive shaft scrapping the tunnel everytime I hit a pothole (often) I have no complaints about the drive. I guess that's why I am more of a custom guy than a hot rod guy. I like the comfort of a big ol' cruiser.

BTW: On the way back from Paso I met the wife in a little town called Los Olivos. It's about 1 hr south of Paso. Did some wine tasting and then took a drive down the back road into Santa Barbara for dinner. That's a beautiful drive for all you So Cal people.

28. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I left on Sat. around 5PM back home to San Jose and it was really windy coming home... I had the death grip on the wheel just to fight the wind in my little coupe:(

The ride down to paso was better because The Road Zombies all cruised down together, we had about 9 cars in line with us and added a few more on the way down. But the 3 hour drive back was solo. all in all it's great driving down there and i'll do it again and again and again.....

29. mikes51

mikes51

Because of the cool temps, the ride down was easy. Usually the stretch between King City and Paso starts to do a number to my engine temps. That section south of Salinas on to Paso is such a smooth road! My bag gauges were almost fixed at the same psi for the front and maybe 5 lbs deflection for the back. Around the Bay Area roads, my gauge pressures are changing 20 lbs on each bump.

I don't have a speedometer so I did the calculations nerd style through mapquest, etc. I was getting 15.8 mpg and my average speed was 68.2 mph.

I agree with everyone else, the ride down and back is the best part of the weekend. You know your car is running good when you approach the turn off to your destination, and you'd rather not take it and just keep on driving.

Cleatus, I was checking out your new window frames. Are those made from stainless? and how did they work out?

30. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

No, they aren't stainless, they are just bare steel right now because I didn't have time to get them chromed (just finished putting them together the night before I left for Paso) and I wanted to road test them to be sure I didn't need to make any changes before the expense of chrome.

It was great to make the long drive without the wind blast noise for a change.

P.S. I can relate to Cab's "death grip" description of the drive up 101 to Salinas on the way home - man was it windy!