Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Emergency Brake..??..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Dec 30, 2018.

1. redo32

redo32

Notice the Oregon law says PARKING BRAKE. One year at a national event I was looking for an emergency brake and every vendor told me they only sell parking brakes.

lilmann and Hnstray like this.
  2. Semantics.....before tandem master cylinders they were emergency brakes, to be used in the event of a brake failure. With the introduction of tandem master cylinders the safety factor is built into the master so the mechanical system becomes a park brake.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lilmann and Hnstray like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

With all the emergency brake hardware available now from the street rod aftermarket there is no excuse to run without them.

4. Say what you want about street rods & the NSRA but their safety inspection teams do a great service and even if you don't pass the inspection process because you may lack the recommend emergence brakes they offer a second set of eyes , years ago when I worked with the South Carolina team we actually found a T bucket that had driven several hundred miles and the nut on the passenger side tie rod was missing, that could have be catastrophic and the carter pin was missing on the drivers side.

The owner said he had worked late into the night and never even test drove the car until he left home, he turned white as a ghost when he saw the nut missing.

This has nothing to do with the lack of a emergency brake but it's something that we all should have. HRP

HEMI32, TagMan, coupe man and 5 others like this.
  5. If you have an old cast iron Torqueflite like I do behind the 318 Poly then you had better have a working park or emergency brake, whatever you want to call it as the trans does not have a "park"......used to provide me with lots of unbelieving stares at various rod run safety checks until some old time rodder explained the meaning of life to the young inspector.........andyd

jimgoetz and lilmann like this.
  6. I use my parking break every time I park on a hill, plus turning the wheels to the curb. You can never tell when someone is going to bump your car and knock it out of park.

Charlie Stephens

blowby and lilmann like this.
  7. Should back track and read about Denise and the Big Olds' wild ride; might make you consider the importance of an operational e-brake.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    lilmann likes this.
  8. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I can't think of any reason not to have a E/P-brake.
    Someone might argue they don't like the look of the brake handle etc... Well, you probably won't like the look of your car and whatever it hits after rolling down a hill either.

Hnstray and lilmann like this.
  9. My coupe has a E/P brake. PA. requires that you have a working Parking Brake that must hold for state inspection. I pull the lever and It holds the car. I do state inspections, and find many cars that fail the parking brake test.

lilmann likes this.
  10. My Buick has standard transmission. Parking brake needed when parked with engine running. Parking brake USED each and every time the car is parked.

Ben

Hnstray and lilmann like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Guilty as well but I'm glad this thread came up, good reminder, park on hills often. Odd that California doesn't have the state inspections others are mentioning. So far...

lilmann likes this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

They use to have one of sorts. I was to young to know how mandatory it was. I only recall my Mom freaking out when a roadside inspection she drove towards came into her view.

lilmann likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know about y'all but a parking brake gives me some confidence that its there if I need it. Rather have it and not use it then need it and not have it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Hnstray, lilmann and olscrounger like this.
  14. For me I just like to have all that stuff work, on the grand scale of building a car, the park brake is pretty easy to make work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All cars we do have working ebrakes and are adjusted to work. Have saved me a few times. Unlike to modern cars,an early ford handle can be throttled as needed. Same with a 55 chevy if you keep the handle turned as you use it. Working in the Utility trade for 45 years Ebrakes were always used-some Mico brakes. To this day I set them every time I park a vehicle as does my wife. Even in the garage

16. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In high school driver’s ed back in the ‘70s they taught us to use the emergency brake by taking us down a long steep hill and having the driver bring the car to a stop. Technique was to pull on the release handle and then apply the E-brake pedal with your left foot the same way you would the regular brake pedal with your right. Pulling the release helped you keep control vs. just jamming and locking the E-brake ratchet in a panic. I actually used that training a couple years later when my old Ford lost its brakes coming down 23rdAve. :oops:

Funny thing about driver’s ed in my day was that they seemed to know what kind of crap vehicles we’d be driving, and prepared us accordingly. For example, the first thing we were taught to do when we got behind the wheel was crack the driver’s window so we wouldn’t succumb to exhaust leaks that they just knew our old jalopies would have. I’m pretty sure they don’t teach that anymore. :rolleyes:

lewk, Hnstray, lilmann and 1 other person like this.
  17. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

An E-brake is like a seat belt, no value until you need it and then it is priceless.

mad mikey and lilmann like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are over 32,000,000 registered vehicles here.

That's more than numerous other states, combined

If you think smog check is unwieldy, corrupt, and unmanageable, try adding another system, that checks everything else.

19. Pa. has one of the strictest state inspections in the country. I heard a rumor that some other states may have a state inspection in the future , and it will be modeled after our Pa. inspection. I do not know what states are considering this however.

lilmann likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going a slightly different direction on the new 41 PU build. I want the floor clear so I am installing an under-dash pedal parking brake from a 69 Camaro that I had lying around. I have to weld in a bracket and drill a couple holes but it will be out of the way and easy to use. Plus that is a real nice brake assembly with the release and warning light all built in. Summit sells this for 69 bucks. A couple of cables and done. Why wouldn't you?
    upload_2019-1-1_12-32-44.png

BigChief and lilmann like this.
  21. coupe man

coupe man

To pass NSRA parking/e-brake portion of inspection your car must be running at normal idle speed and put the trans in drive.The brake should hold the car in place.if it doesn't it probley won't stop you in an emergency and adjustment is needed.

lilmann and olscrounger like this.
  22. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in my shop a couple years back and heard a loud splang noise and a vehicle going by. The brake linkage broke on neighbors pickup. She wished she had working ebrake before she hit the neighbors house.
    You bet I hooked up ebrake on 37.

lilmann likes this.
  23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Everybody should have a working horn and Park brake.
    If you don't, you might as well walk straight out to your shop, set your thumb on top of the vice and hit it with a hammer to remind yourself of what pain could be headed your way...

lilmann and olscrounger like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lots of people poo poo the NSRA Safety Inspection but having another set of eyes looking over your ride is not a bad idea. Besides its free.

BigChief and lilmann like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cars don't rust in CA, for the most part, so only maintenance is an issue. Almost everything on the road here has to go to smog check (after 1975), and the state will cash you out if you take your beater off the road when it irreparably fails.

Mileage takes most cars off the road here, as most need to drive far, often, until dead. Since most folks don't take good care of their cars, they are long gone, due to engine and transmission issues, before steering, stopping, and falling apart become the main issue.

To implement this in a state of 45-million, with 32-million vehicles would be onerous. There are more registered vehicles in the greater Los Angeles metro area than people in Pennsylvania. It would be a problem looking for a solution. Even here, adding regressive (as in disproportionately harm the poor) restrictions that impede life are fought and overturned, regularly, if they even pass.

There is no extant vehicle safety epidemic here to mandate this. There is no demonstrable "greater good" to be served here (as there arguable is with smog check). The expenditure required to implement this would vastly exceed any potentiate revenue generated by it.

lilmann likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yeah, parking brake, every single build, every single time.

nochop and lilmann like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

I remember that. Seems to me it looking at the lights and wipers. Not really involved like a real inspection

lilmann likes this.

28. where can I get one of those? I need something like that for a current project. thanks for any info.

lilmann likes this.
  29. lilmann

lilmann

I really appreciate all the insight and warnings! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca