Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Tudor - Bonnie

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fairlane500, Aug 14, 2018.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, hfh, Lil'Alb and 9 others like this.
  2. Looks great!

kidcampbell71 and Fairlane500 like this.
  3. Great its an untouched survivor,you’ll be hooting around the Summit road in no time.

Fairlane500 likes this.
  4. IMG_1642.jpg THICKSTUN PM7 INTAKE : She runs again, but as stated earlier there is no 5 minute intake swap, I had a few shorter vee belts but none were adequate so will have to wait a couple of days to take her for a run.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  5. FRONT SUSPENSION - The front axle has been sitting to the left of centre so decided to tackle that next and see what the issue was. Broken spring centrebolt had let spring pack move off centre.

Surprisingly it all came apart relatively easily given it has sat for 43 years, so I was preparing for the odd issue, but plenty of chassis grease and years of flathead vapour has kept everything lubricated and sealed in dirt fat.

A slight lowering of the front end via the main leaf eye reversal and a thinning of the spring pack will occur upon reassembly with new shackle sets, and replace the worn out shock link ball rubbers.

The spring pack hasn’t moved in awhile with all the leaves frozen by rust to each other so expect the ride will improve when back together again

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. FRONT SUSPENSION - The front altitude needed adjusting to get the look right, so I got a spring that I had for awhile, and got it modified to suit the 34 Axle perch centres, they cut the eyes off the original main leaf and had a new reversed eye main leaf made and it worked out pretty good. The rear may still come down a little when the rear shackle pins are replaced next.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Much More Betterer

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. NEW STANCE: Really pleased with how she sits now

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  8. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Beautiful car. I really like the way the engine turned out.

Stogy and Fairlane500 like this.
  9. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Big improvement. Is the ride noticeably softer?

Stogy and Fairlane500 like this.
  10. Will let you know, I am still waiting for the Vee belt to turn up.

Stogy likes this.
  11. @Fabber McGee I have had the spring in now for a few weeks and clocked a few miles with it and yes it is noticeably better with a functioning spring, the rust in the old spring had either bound or was rigid and you can really feel the spring function when driving it now and the ride is more comfortable, so I think pulling the rear spring is on the cards next as the car hadn't been mobile since 1972 and that's a long time for everything to rust and bind together, so I think I will strip the rear spring out and clean the leaves up paint and lubricate and reassemble with new spring hanger bushes and I think that will get the rear spring performing like it should.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  12. Congrats man you should be proud.

Fairlane500, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. REAR SUSPENSION - Rear spring done much more better with all the shackle slack out. IMG_20181110_123310.jpeg IMG_20181110_140504.jpeg IMG_20181110_175005.jpeg IMG_20181111_175940.jpeg IMG_20181111_180045.jpeg

Sent from my S60 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car, always enjoy reading about ones with some back history, thanks for all the photos. Bob

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

very nice.... keep up the good work

Fairlane500 and loudbang like this.
  16. SHOCK ABSORBERS - The rears were rebuildable type originals dated 8/34 so a local guy rebuilt them, [​IMG]but the fronts were not and were crimp type shocks, I was lucky enough to get a set of NORS rebuildable type replacement fronts from Thirdgen so will fit those with new dog bone link sets and that should get the bumps smoothed out

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. LEVER SHOCK ABSORBERS: All fitted up and work well, lot better ride and has stiffened the front end up nice.

C7E0232F-6B79-448E-A7EF-9F5F8F929093.jpeg A1A564E9-383F-4EDC-949C-29857A3043F3.jpeg DA37CD25-1FF0-4C24-B0CD-0FA75ECECDC6.jpeg AD38EBA3-B50F-4DD8-B01F-8093B8B7EC19.jpeg

18. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Very nice car . Treating her well, love it .

Stogy, loudbang and Fairlane500 like this.
  19. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Enjoying this thread.I have a '33 std tudor.Just rebuilt the '36 LB motor that came with it.Here is a pic.I removed 3 leaves on the front spring.Having '33 front shocks (which are inboard) I didn't have an issue with the mechanical brake rods.I run 40 rear shocks since I couldn't find a good pair of 33-34's.Got a new set of 3.54's for the rear and will put those in this spring.What generator are you running? All the Best for the New Year.

Attached Files:

20. Very nice! The 3:54’s will be good, although I like the 4:11 around town they really need taller gears on the highway or a Mitchell overdrive to get the engine rpm down. The generator is a power master 12 volt alternator with a fan adapter pulley from Speedway motors, Regards

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  21. What a cool C-Dan! Love that it's a survivor.
    I also am running the Powermaster with fan. Any issues yet? I see that they (Powermaster) now "do not recommend" the fan.
    BTW, if ThirdGen is Michael Driskell, he's the best! My 32 sedan came from him, and I've known him for a number of years. Great young family guy who knows his early Ford.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. No issues yet but haven’t used it a lot either. Who is they? Power master don’t recommend? Yes I get a lot off of Michael very good vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. [​IMG]

SUSPENSION : Suspension work completed pretty happy with stance and ride. Now I think some work on the mechanical brakes to get them optimum.... or bin them and fit hydraulics... we will see.

24. ^^^^^Yep, Powermaster does not recommend it. But apparently some flathead guys on the Fordbarn have run it successfully. I only have about 400 miles on mine.
    New stance is PERFECT!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  25. TRANSMISSIONS - Harvesting gear sets today from 1946-8 Transmissions, got lucky with No2 and got a nice usable set, No1 not so good. Will put together in a nice 78 series late F1 case with 3” Fork & Double detent top and that can go in Bonnie with the new C59A engine when it’s done.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

26. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Nice Car, Engine really nice.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Fairlane500 and loudbang like this.
  27. LOCKHEED BRAKES - So after much adjusting and evaluating repair cost of the mechanical brakes and the fact 1934 brake drums are not thick on the ground here in New Zealand, Bonnie is going to get Hydraulic Brakes. For what the mechanicals were going to cost to get right I can fit up hydraulic backing plates that I have a stash of with new hubs and drums. I think this will be the best long term solution. So I have purchased a EFV8 Garage master cylinder kit from Covina from the Lacy’s so that will complete the conversion. I will keep everything that comes off it in case someone wants to convert it back one day. So I have started by cleaning up the backing plates and grease trays and painted, the front drilled backing plates s were from my fathers 36 Ford Coupe back in the day so good to use these again on this car. Got a new set of wheel cylinders and will get the shoes relined and matched to the drums when they arrive. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

28. Love your car mate !!!
    Cheers
    Tony

29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Nice..............enjoy!!!!!!!!