Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New engine storage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Nimrod, Dec 29, 2018.

1. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas with your families. I'm a newbie on here an need some sound advice on how to keep my newly rebuilt SBC 327 from getting rusty on the inside an outside, it's setting on my engine stand in my unheated closed up tight barn. I've had engines rebuilt in the past but have always put them in my vehicles right away but it was summer then. So just need some good advice. Should I put spark plugs in or leave them out as it sets? It's inside a clear big plastic bag that the shop put around it in August and when I put it in my barn I opened the back of the plastic bag but left it on so nothing gets on the engine and air can move around some. The engine has not been painted, it has no intake manifold or exct manifold or valve covers on it. I'ts a complete long block with oil pan on it and minus the parts above. What type of oil should I use on the inside an outside if any? Should I dump oil into the cylinders and put spark plugs back in so oil doesn't come out? Thank you for your time and help. 1Nimrod

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It depends on how long your planning on storing your engine but I would put the plugs in and close up the plastic bag. I think I would try to cover as much as possible the head ports lifter valley wit some sort of spray oil like 3 in 1. Before putting the plugs in put a few ounces of aft in each cylinder and rotate the engine while doing this. With out having the intake on this makes doing this more difficult but add a few QTs of oil the crank case and tip the motor over as far as you can and try to get oil on the lower internal block. I also loosen the rockers so there's no spring presser on them.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

NAPA has engine fogger spray it on the bare metal and the spark plug holes. I've used it on honed cylinders and 6 months later still no surface rust.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Texas Webb and loudbang like this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

Paint it, then bag it. I leave the bag open a bit to reduce condensation as temps change. Keep the cylinders oiled and turn it over and reoil frequently. Keep the top end and back sides of valves oiled as well, Leave plugs in and just remove and replace when you turn it over. Never used engine fogger, Sounds like a good product.

5. squirrel

squirrel

edit your profile to add your location...so we can make an educated guess as to how long it will last under such conditions.

Do what it takes to get it inside an insulated building. The daily temperature swing will suck in some moisture every day that will condense inside the engine, and make it rust.

alanp561, Truck64 and juan motime like this.
  6. I had a used SBC on my garage floor for 30 years, I thought it was closed up well and I did turn it now and then. It was cribbed up on pieces of 4 x 4 wood. It always spun freely and I did fog it before I mothballed it. I cracked it open in late 2015 and it was full of nut shells. The local mice population used it as their cafeteria. They managed to tear off the tape that closed off the exhaust.. or it became undone.

You are far better off having it inside a heated area if possible or use it. My brother built a nice 327 in HS as a short block, cut no corners on anything. That was sat up on end on blocks, double-wrapped with black garbage bags in an unheated garage, it was well oiled and had the oil pan slapped on with a couple of bolts. Go forward 6 years, it was unwrapped and it was perfect.

7. khead47

khead47

Boats are great condensation machines. Whenever I winterized boats here in Mi. I would fog them. Even in a steel hull boat- no problems ever.

8. flatford39

flatford39

Close up every opening to keeps rodents out. You would be surprised where they go.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

WD-40 displaces moisture I have shot it in the plug holes and exhaust ports ect...on used engines I was going to leave set before. Every few months I would give it another shot seemed fine when I went to fire them. JMO . That fogger deal sounds good. Lippy

10. triumph 1

triumph 1

I am currently using and have used a very similar product to this. The stuff I have is from Waukesha engine company
    Properties seem to be the same. IMG_2293.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. on a new engine that will be stored for a while i leave the rocker arms all loose so all the valves are closed

12. To get of Rodent's in your Garage Try Peperment Oil
    on some Cotton balls in a Flat can like a Tuna can
    either the Garage or the Car, it worked for Me.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. I got side tracted go to Napa they have some Great Stuff for
    what you Need.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

14. kursplat

kursplat

put it in the house. doesn't matter what the decor, a fresh motor makes everything look better

Never2low and alanp561 like this.
  15. earlymopar

earlymopar

What is the product you're referring to?

- EM

stanlow69 likes this.
  16. Sea foam spray fog