Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Blast Media

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Dec 30, 2018.

1. flatford39

flatford39

OK you guys really helped steer me in the right direction on a new TP systems blast cabinet and I thank all of you. I should have it this Thursday and am excited about assembling it and getting it operational.

As discussed in the other thread I had a cheap bench top that served its purpose and I needed to upgrade to something larger. I also have a pressurized pot I use for larger things.

My question is that I have been using Starblast XL as my media and am pretty happy with it as I never have clogs and it seems to work pretty good. My only complaint is that it's $75.00 for a 50# bucket from Northern Tools. Is there a cheaper alternative that will perform as well?? My usage is heavy iron with the pot blaster out doors and things like wheels, brackets and small sheet metal items in the cabinet.

2. Northern sometimes has black diamond on sale.

3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have 2 cabinets , one has glass bead and works great on aluminum and stripping paint and general cleaning. The other has aluminum oxide and is better when rust is involved. I also use the aluminum oxide in my vacume sand blaster for pitted rust on sheet metal body panels,and because these units recycle the media price is not a concern. My pressure blaster that I use for frames and body structure outside I use silica sand although I do sweep it up and strain it and reuse as much as possible. Sand is a lot more aggressive and hard on blast cabinet parts. Larry

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I get mine from either Tractor Supply or Rural King.

5. Joe H

Joe H

I have been using Tractor Supply and Northern's coal slag for out door blasting. It works great on cast iron. I don't have a huge compressor so air pressure is mid 70's most of the time. The slag still takes rust right off, and price is cheap.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have used coal slag and a play sand (can't recall the name of it) from Menards in my small gravity feed pot blaster. Both are very affordable.

7. finn

finn

Menards has some black stuff that’s cheap and works pretty well.

8. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Like Finn I use Menards. Works great, and cheap.
    Rich

9. flatford39

flatford39

I guess what I am asking is does anyone have a different source for Starblast XL than Northern Tool??? I really like the product (99.9% silica free) as I never have clogging issues and it cuts rust really nice. I am looking for the same product but at a lower price than $75.00 for 5 gallons.

10. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

My local Sutherlands carries coal slag for blasting at a low cost

11. I use 80grit Garnet in mine. Last forever. I pay like $19 a bag from the shop across the street, they use garnet in their waterjet cutter. Only downfall is you have to use carbide nozzles and you have to change the inside glass overlays often.

12. I buy my sand from the local concrete plant, they carry 4 different grades of sand.

Course, medium, fine & extra fine, I use the extra fine in my blasting cabinet, I also have a dryer removing the moisture from my air lines. HRP

13. I also have been using the black stuff from Tractor Supply. I used to get clogs and moisture from sand blasting sand so I started using the coal slag and so far have had no problems and the last sack I bought was a little over seven bucks.

14. flatford39

flatford39

Happy New Years guys...but none of you are addressing my question. I appreciate the responses but what I am looking for is another vendor on line beside Northern Tool where I can purchase Starblast XL media. I am really happy with this stuff because of its low silica content and how it performs in my blasters. Never clogs.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

16. flatford39

flatford39

Saltflats...Thank you that looked really promising until you got to their shipping prices. $100.00 to ship it.