Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aviation Form A Gasket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Hey Everybody! As some of you know, I’m a heavy Diesel Truck Mechanic by trade. Putting modern engines together using modern sealers and RTV type stuff is what I do every day. But, our hot rods and vintage stuff requires different gasketing and sealing. I have just recently discovered Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket and Indian Head Gasket schallac. What applications do you guys use these for? RTV has its place, but looks like s&@t sticking out everywhere. Please o’mighty H.A.M.B.ers, enlighten this 44 year old youngster! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas Webb and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I use it to coat most paper gaskets, for things like water pumps, thermostat housings, oil pans, timing covers, ports on intake manifold gaskets, manual transmission gaskets, etc. I use RTV very little, it is good for things like the ends of intake manifolds, or corners of oil pan gaskets, but not much else.

3. I have been accused of using it on everything but my salad.

Hnstray, nochop, The37Kid and 9 others like this.
  4. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I learned from a gray beard to use aviation seal on flathead head studs. At a coal fired power plant they use it everywhere. Indian Head for paper gaskets.

Thanks, Dave Maldin RIP. Learned allot from him.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod, nochop, weeniewawa and 3 others like this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Paper and cork gaskts use permetex , rubber or no gasket use silicone with one caveat , fiber header gaskets with copper high temp silicone .

Truckdoctor Andy and olscrounger like this.
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"I have been accused of using it on everything but my salad."

If it tasted good it could replace my Ketchup addiction...................................

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used both for many years with great results-use on items as Squirrel mentions--minimum RTV use.

1Nimrod, Hnstray, zzford and 2 others like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If the RTV is “sticking out everywhere” you are using too much of it. One of the reasons it gets a bad reputation.
    Over the years I have used a variety of “sealants”, including the ones you mentioned. Plus Permatex #2, and 3M 8001 and others.

Bones

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

X3

1Nimrod and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That's funny stuff there

11. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Permatex #3 (Aviation Form-A-Gasket) is good for all kinds of things, PLUS it cleans up easily. I just use a little brake cleaner and a rag.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

It is good stuff, but I like the aerosol K&W Copper coat on paper gaskets.

13. A7B41A3C-47D0-40A1-B1BB-D1D6486BC96F.jpeg The right stuff works great. It’s very similar to the stuff I used at jaguar and Mercedes ( probably the same as aviation gasket maker
    This stuff is thicker and more stable then regular RTV.

I hate seeing silicone all spilled out over the edges of stuff and hopped in the corners.
    With this stuff a 2-3 mm thick bead is all that is needed works great

Gasket shellac is perfect on paper gaskets sealing cast parts . I use it on a lot of stuff.

I find a lot of folks go nuts sealing stuff with paper gaskets and silicone or the rubber neoprene gaskets and the 3m weather strip glue ( the yellow chicken snot) basically sticking gaskets on gaskets on gaskets ......

If you have everything cleaned well and the surfaces are flat and not rusted or pitted a regular paper gasket and the correct fasteners torqued down is all you need.

Only time I run into issues is when sealing surfaces are messed up or I’m forced to use a cheap after market gasket, then I might bypass the gasket and only use gasket marker or make a gasket maker sandwich either way it’s an means to an end

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Van, like you I use a variety sealants on a variety of things. But never have gobs of sealant squishing out. If that happens, you have used too much.
    I am guilty of using that 3M stuff you talked about, we called it “gorilla snot”. Worked real good gluing valve cover gaskets into the cover, holding it with clothes pins. Then a thin layer of RTV clean surface, stick on while still wet, lightly tighten bolts.... perfect seal.
    There is a variety of sealants for a variety of problems. Just like there is a variety of wrenches .

Bones

15. Budget36

Budget36

An engine is an engine, be it made 70 years ago, or yesterday.

Do you think a Model A would puke itself if you sprayed a bit of copper spray on it's head gasket?

Just do what you do to get paid;)

16. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Use it on all head gaskets. Never fails

17. Once again I am humbled by all of your knowledge and willingness to share and teach. Thanks to each one of you for taking the time to answer my questions.

VANDENPLAS and 1Nimrod like this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The Right Stuff , has become my go to stuff , in recent years. This has been discussed and argued in the past . Bones, is so correct if you are having it showing up everywhere you are using way to much . If you have to much work it’s way into to an oil pickup screen , you will learn more is not the answer , fast . I always put the RTV on and allow it to skin over for a few minutes before assembly . I never use RTV on a rubber part , unless I can see the assembly , chances of the rubber gasket shifting because of the RTV is super good . Then you have to tear down and do it all over for nothing , but being in to much of a rush . I have used a thin layer of paint on Harley gaskets for years , very similar to Indian Head sealer . Everything has its place , the directions for application is your friend in this case . I have noticed for years , everything is the same “ it’s not near as good as it used to be “ , same for gaskets them seem to be about the thickness of newspaper anymore. Take your time clean , clean the surfaces and read the sealer directions , don’t rush the job. An old timer ask me years ago “ Boy , if you ain’t got time to do it the right way , how in the hell do have time to do it over again ? “ this has always stuck in my mind , burned deep into the memory bank .

19. partssaloon

partssaloon

Having sold and used Permatex for many years I've moved over and used Gasgacinch , seems to work just as good and a lot easier to clean up. RTV for end pieces

20. The Right Stuff is quite good for sealing the front and back of aluminum intake manifolds, it does have a short working life and mask off where you don't want any excess. 3M 8001 weatherstrip adhesive, also the old yellow gorilla snot was good for the edges of intake manifold and old pan gaskets. I used to use Indian Head and the Aviation sealer on bolt threads, but now use an ARP product that is less of a mess.

1Nimrod, mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. sdluck

sdluck

I use gasgacinch and rightstuff

partssaloon likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Dave , I see where you and others let the RTV “ skin” before assembling the parts. I always assembled real quick after application of the RTV, so that it would adhere to the gasket and the metal. Did this method on a AMF Shovel, that I still have, and it would get dusty. Pertty proud of that. I did this back went the RTV made its big splash in my part of the country.

I guess either method works, just different strokes for different folks.

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. zzford

zzford

For my sealer needs, I have been using Polygrip Denture Adhesive for years.

24. :rolleyes:
    Now that there is funny!

3DB63F81-B03A-4296-B9EB-CE3D99FAC224.jpeg

mad mikey likes this.
  25. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

On race car we rtv one side and use gease on the other that way we can reuse them. We put head gaskets dry and have reused them when needed.

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Bones , keeping an Early Harley dry is a chore in its self . I have an AMF Shovel myself at this time , 2nd owner , 13K miles . It drips from the breather tube , but bone dry for the most part also. I did change from dry to wet clutch plates , sealed the primary with RTV and a gasket many years ago . I probably did as you did , tightened it up wet and never looked back . Sealers have came a long way in recent years , any of them are better than what we had to work with years ago . Clean surfaces are a must or you will be after the repair again in short order

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I figure many here are familiar with the various T5 transmissions..No gaskets are used, just rtv..To get a T5 in or out of my car I have to remove the shifter..Have to beat it off which I don't like to do..Can anything else be used in place of rtv to seal the shifter for easier removal next time?

28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Anaerobic Sealer is what I use and have used on many trans and transfer cases for years . It is made by LockTite the brand I use . I’m sure there are many more different brands on the market . This is a sealer that will not dry until , it’s tightened between 2 pieces of metal . It is available at OEM dealers and recommended on NV4500 . Google this and see if this may be what you are in need of instead of RTV .

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Permatex #2..... Some of the best shit ever put in a tube.

1Nimrod, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

Me too, besides,that 3M stuff don't qualify for Medicaid !
    Fireball 5

seb fontana likes this.