Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects brake advice for T bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by morecowbell, Dec 31, 2018.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

hi all - starting from scratch on a build of a 27ish T bucket. Running a rebuilt but stock 305 and tH350 out of an 87 Monte Carlo. As much as I want to try and cobble things together from swaps etc , the area of safety isn't one I want to cut corners on.

I started reading about brake pedal ratios and bore sizes and and and finally just got overwhelmed.

I'm running early 40s Ford juice brakes up front and a Ford 8in out of a 75ish Granada - also with drums.

May I ask:
    - how do i determine the wheel cylinder bore sizes to order to rebuild the Ford front drums?

- i picked up a used brake/throttle pedal setup but i need to still get a master cyl, residual valves etc and was wondering if its even worth going through this or if i am better off with a new setup?

since I need everything for the brake setup, do you recommend going with a prepackaged setup (ebay, amazon, etc) with a drum/drum master cyl and the underfloor pedal and mount setup (and what size bore would you recommend) or just grab a master cylinder and plunger and use what I have?

sorry if questions are rookie.

thank you

- jason

2. nobux

nobux

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Where in CO are you from ? (Denver here)

Great question. Im sure another will chime in that's more knowledgeable. Yes, the easiest way would be a pre set up kind of deal. but NOT ebay amazon stuff, get it from a real store. Some bitch about them, but I'm partial to Speedway motors in Nebraska. You could even give their tech line a call and tell them what you have and what you want and they can recommend products. And if there is an issue then you have a physical store to take them back to, or yell at someone. Instead of being lost in the innerwebs.

4. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

thank you both!
    sadly i left denver some years back - forgot to change the avatar. I lived there way back in 2002 and loved it! such a great place.

i think i'll give speedway a call - i'm trying to not use too much of the "buy new" stuff but in terms of safety i think it makes sense!

thank you
    - jason

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I applaud your not buying new stance. But when it comes to stopping and steering, why risk it. Give em a call and see what they say.

6. I am certain SpeedWay can set you right up with a brake system. They have a vast inventory of T bucket parts. And good tech people .

7. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

yup just called. getting the right master cyl and brake setup. thank you all !