Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '61 Biscayne - Mild Custom or Drag Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dukes26, Dec 30, 2018.

1. RmK57

RmK57

My vote goes for the red drag car. Sharp looking car.
    Just don't make a gasser out of it.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Paint it, drive it. I would drive it while prepping it for paint, shiny paint that is.

upspirate, BigDogSS and loudbang like this.
  3. Leave the paint as is, They are only original once!
    Drag car style-
    Ball joint spacers
    Fender well headers
    Rear windows filled with decals
    upload_2018-12-30_13-44-15.png upload_2018-12-30_13-44-56.png upload_2018-12-30_13-52-37.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Dubya motor, 4speed, Torque Thrusts, on a 2dr post? And you gotta ask? Raise the front a little, cheaters on black 8" steelies out back, maybe some lake plugs, done.. Wear that paint as a badge of honor, it's earned every blemish & scrape.
    Hey, what he said! ^^^^

Black_Sheep and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

To me...that's cool as a Moose. I could picture Chevy dog dish hubcaps on it maybe...but that is so cool as is.
    Maybe something like this. Less is more.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Just Gary, Gman0046 and Finn Jensen like this.
  6. Ummm Steelies in the back and mags in the front...always...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

8. This.....and if I could put the handles back on my car I’d do the same thing...

slowmotion likes this.
  9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If it were a hardtop I'd say custom, for for a sedan I'd say hot rod.

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

needs to stay hotrod, paint would be great!

11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What ever you decide 100_3132.JPG 100_3133.JPG will be very cool, I like them as 60's street racers.:)

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Rear sun visor, never knew that..

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely screams out that it is a drag car!!! :D As said by several others, it deserves shiny paint!

blownhemi48, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  14. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Staying with the current paint and going the drag racer "Junior Stock" theme, what about doing patinaed lettering; class numbers, horsepower rating, sponsors, advertisers and lots of era decals. An old drag car found in that old barn..
    No where near the cost of painting and you could always go glossy later... dyno dave

dukes26 and Black_Sheep like this.
  15. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

16. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

I was a little confused at first, too. Casting # on the block says it's a 348.

loudbang likes this.
  17. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

Stock 3.36 gears

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  18. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I should probably consider painting it, since that's what I do for a living! I'll post pics as I move along...

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It didn't come from the factory looking like it does now and I can't remember a single person I ran around with when that car was new that would be seen on the street in it looking like it is now. Shiny paint, steel wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 392

Nice start. I’ll vote do what you want.

21. Are the wheels on there 14’s...what brand? man I keep looking at the car..some pie crusts out back and a little rubber rake..and drive it like that for awhile maybe..

22. finn

finn

Keep the paint as is.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. I'm pleased to note that the majority of posters say to paint the car. It must mean that the worn out junk look is going out of style. Good.

24. Latigo

Latigo

White paint, white steelies with dog dish caps, black walls. Stock valve covers and air cleaner.
    No brainer.

25. Looks like you have some drag race history there. I have one I'm doing and I am going to give it the old school, high school, drag race theme. I'm going to leave the patina look and paint, which looks a lot like yours does. Being it has the 348, 4 speed it would be a more history based car. When you go changing them the true history of the car is gone. I think the value of the car would be more. These old cars like that are getting harder to find so I am for saving them. With a little work these cars can still be used as daily drivers and I would be willing to bet they bring more attention then the custom would ever bring. I am up grading mine with the reasonable priced front disc brake, master cylinder, and proportioning valve all bought at Speedway Motors. Mine is a 6 cylinder and will be changing it over to a small block and later going to a 396 big block, fender well header, 3 inch exhaust, 9 inch rear end, 5 spoke wheels. The cool thing about leaving it like it is not everybody has a car like you do. In this day of age there are a lot of guys who want these old left alone cars so the value is still up there if you would ever have to sell it. And with the few up grades it just makes it a bit more friendly user. A guy can always work on it a little at a time and end up with a nice car. By this I mean opening rubbers then clean up the engine bay, do the brake update, rebuild the front suspension, replace any chrome, bumpers, trim, then redo the paint, thing like that. Well I guess the only thing else I can share with you is you have a special car there, so think long and hard about changing it, but I can't tell you to do what I said, that is up to you. I just know that a lot of older cool cars are gone and will never be back again. Just one hot rodder to another you have a great car there, enjoy and have a good time with it.

Sent from my P00I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 61Cruiser like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

On the other hand, I can see the paint left as it sits with a set of old, never polished magnesium Halibrands.
    Hey @Stogy are you awake?

27. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Hot rod motor and 4 speed post car? Gotta hot rod it!
    Paint it white, raise it a little all the way around (I'm not a fan of the tail dragger look) leave the wheels and maybe go pie crusts. Steelies with caps are too bland for me and the 5 spokes give it a little zip, especially on a all white car.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

High school hot rod, early Beach Boys era. Nice paint job, Cragars or chrome reverse wheels, tuck n roll upholstery. Look at some old Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines for inspiration. I wouldn't go nuts with the gasser look, I would try to keep it nice and driveable with good tires and shocks.

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Oh man !! Dumps, Cragar SS up front, steels and slicks out back.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. das858

das858

Leave it just like it is with fresh white paint, if you can paint it yourself the cost would be reasonable .