Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Long term ownership-time for a change?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Dec 29, 2018.

1. To the people who built their cars many years ago, and have, or, are contemplating changes they have made from when they built it originally.
    The longest vehicle I've owned is my avatar, I built it 10 years ago, at times I think about any changes I would now make, if I were to "update" it, so far I'm still okay with it.
    What changes have you made and why?
    Drivetrain, paint color, upholstery, tire/wheel combination, etc.
    Post up any before and after pics.

scrap metal 48 and dana barlow like this.
  2. My <coupe is mostly unchanged since it was built in '88, and is really showing some wear on the body and paint. I'd like to redo it and change the color.
    Can't decide on which color though...

dana barlow, 40FORDPU and nochop like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I finally painted my 55 after about 15 years in primer...then sold it about five years later.

I've made many changes to my 59 pickup over the 41 years I've had it. I'm still changing things. But I still have it, too.

4. Had my little Daytona going on 25 years.....although I like the period Magnums....I love to put on the factory optional Hildebrand's......'bought the only thing I'd change beside's a repaint of the factory color.... 20180901_170012.jpg 20180902_100141 (1).jpg

5. Owned my 64 ford truck 30 yrs now . Changed the engine a few times, and painted twice ,same colours .
    Motors were 292 not enough hp
    61 390 hp to much hp
    , 66 mercury 390 just right !!! 20181008_112613.jpg

F-ONE, scrap metal 48, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've owned my 1912 T Touring for 35 years, it was restored in 1950, three months before I was born, thinking it may need a new caretaker. Bob

UPDATE: Everything is fine now and the 1912 is staying right were it is!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    F-ONE, RMR&C and 40FORDPU like this.
  7. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

This is such a great little car...and you don't see them much at all these days.

F-ONE and dana barlow like this.
  8. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2256.JPG IMG_0892.JPG When I built my roadster the first time I made a pine pattern for the windshield and had it cast in bronze. I used a '32 grille, but leaned it back slightly to go with the windshield, although I know that is somewhat against the "rules". I enjoyed it this way for about 20 years.

About a year ago I again had time to work on it. So I cast another windshield, this time in aluminum, cut the top off the casting, and reshaped the glass. I also changed the grille, just because I knew it would be fun for me to see how it would look. I think it needs a hood and I'm working on that but since I enjoy playing with how it looks, I might change it again if I see a grille that looks like fun. When I'm done with it somebody else can put a '32 grille back on it. Sorry, I don't know how to get the earlier picture to be the top picture.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Lots of changes on this.
    19 yrs now includes suspension, drivetrain and interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

14 yrs.
    pickup includes 3 Flathead’s, rebuilt rear end, transmission, suspension and some color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Why worry about what order the pics are, you should be proud of either version.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

What changes are you considering? Wheels, stance, paint, the photoshop pros can lend a hand.
    Ive never built a no expense spared vehicle, theres always been tradeoffs for cost, updates to nicer parts are always in my plan if the vehicle becomes a keeper.

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Built my 28A bobtail roadster for highschool ,got it running in 1959. I liked the way it turned out then,so updates I've made,have not been any changes a classmate back then would even see. Other then the hearders are now chrome ,steering wheel is new and a folding top was added{that I only run with, if looks like rain.
    . I've had too restore it,but always same colors,time takes its toll. Other things are not seen,like newer tires,Gen. got replaced by alt. I did play with other carb intakes over the years 2x4s off a Cady,7004bbl=worked good, not as sexy,but go back too my homemade log 4x2 the most. IMG_2750.JPG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    F-ONE, Ron Funkhouser, jnaki and 3 others like this.
  14. I'm good with mine for now, in the future a white toneau cover, and tasteful pinstriping.
    I was more curious about what others have done with theirs (who've owned them for far longer than my 10 years).
    Tastes can change over a long period of time.
    I'm envious of people who've kept their cars so long, and the memories that go along with long term ownership.

F-ONE, indyjps and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I have had my 63 nova conv 40yrs has been every thing from a 6cy power glide to a 350cu in 350 trans is now a 327 3 carb 4 sp

F-ONE and 40FORDPU like this.
  16. When I first built my '40, fast forward to now..changes were I blew it apart again, mixed up and painted my own color, added white rolled and pleated interior, chromed some interior pieces, added bumpers, built up the flathead, etc.[​IMG] IMG_1950.JPG

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I sell them a Season after they are done! I don't hang on to anything. The fun for me is the challenge of the Build, then I'm bored and looking for a new challenge.

F-ONE, Ford52PU, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't make changes to my cars.. I change cars.. After I search for a car, hunt for parts, and build the car, the only thing left is to drive it and I get tired of them, so I sell them and start over.. There's so many I haven't own yet... P.S. I'm looking for a new project now.... I see Franken rod^^^ beat me to it....

The37Kid, 40FORDPU and FrankenRodz like this.
  19. <------ I purchased my Deuce 30 years ago and after I got it on the road all I have done is drive it, I never did anything to the interior other than a couple of Tijuana blankets covering the seats and a little insulation, but ~

I am taking the car to my pal Dave tomorrow morning for a complete interior and some creature comforts.

Dave did the interior in the wagon so I am sure he will do a great job on the sedan, it will be a simple one color interior and I'm looking forward to finally having a interior. HRP

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. Just never know how dramatic a few simple changes can make.
    Screenshot_20181230-153558_Photobucket.jpg 20160717_130117.jpg

21. I let one of these get away.
    This one will be with me until one of us dies!

Rancho Santa Fe run 4-2018.jpg

Tim, F-ONE, Chili Phil and 6 others like this.
  22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have had the Cyclone for 50 years. (Pictured on the left) It is now undergoing it’s second major reincarnation. It will never leave me but someday I will leave it.

23. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

My grand mama Jessie bought the 1954 wagon new from the local ford dealer, the car was used for her flower shop and I am a year older than the car.
    I grew up with the car and learned how to drive it and I will own this car as long as I can drive, when that time comes it will go to our oldest granddaughter.

The little girl in the avatar is me, the picture below was taken at Memphis this year.
    41991565_10216619757583562_5357067220302168064_n.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  24. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

25. indyjps

indyjps

Hallelujah, same way with my current OT 69 camaro, I'll be dead and the car will still be in my garage for someone to deal with. My first car. Better make sure my daughters ( currently 6 and 8) know how to drive it. :D

26. ... In the 25+ years I've owned this '35 ... the most noticeable change I've made are the Coker Classic wide whites ...
    DSCN3271.jpg 20180501_163927.jpg

F-ONE, kidcampbell71, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  27. My Chevy has gone through more changes over the years than I can remember...Here's a picture of how it looked when I bought it in 1972 and how it looks presently. What the future may bring...Who Knows!

Before Restore (1).jpg P1010071.jpg

28. ...been drivin this 15+ years,...a couple years ago I finally put the steelies and wide whites on it after wanting them from the start;...other than that all I change is the oil.
    47 ad rf 003.jpg 47 drive 11-22-17 006.jpg

29. trollst

trollst

DSC06609.JPG Mine needs paint and I'm afraid to. Its covered in "Boots" pinstriping, alas the old coots gone now and I dont want to cover the striping. I've been driving it 20 years.... DSC06609.JPG

30. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I've had this one for 28 years now. Paint was done in 1992, been through countless engine combinations, multiple transmissions, 5 rearends, redone the interior, multiple wheel and tire sets, cruised it, daily driver-ed it, raced it. Not as old or nice as many posted, but it's mine, and I've had it since I was 16. I'll keep it as long as I can drive, then my kids can figure out what to do with it.

Devin

40FORDPU likes this.