Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Valuing 55'-59' Chevy and GMC Trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo2424, Dec 28, 2018.

1. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Hello HAMBers, it's been a while for me to post but I have been doing a lot of research lately looking for a classic Chevy/GMC truck.

What have you guys/gals found to be the best resource for determining what is the market value of any particular truck?

Sounds like Nada, Hagerty, etc... are generally pretty off, but how do you feel about Old Cars Price Guide? It seems like a great resource but the ranges between 3 to 4 are fairly large and vague. I'm not finding much on active ads either- seems like they are also all over the place.

Any guidance greatly appreciated and would love to hear from anyone that is expert in these years and is willing to share some knowledge. Specifically what a typical range should be for a driving complete/original truck without any prior restores or even a mostly complete truck but they swapped engine/trans.

I know this is a very subjective question with a lot of variables- but I am finding it hard to figure out what looks like a good deal vs. the seller being ridiculous.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. squirrel

squirrel

been a while since I bought one, but it was only $500....and was priced fairly.

Generally if you can get a solid mostly complete mostly original short half ton truck for under 5k these days, you're probably doing ok.

belair and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I've owned 7 of em , the last one I bought recently is a big window short bed , rust free desert truck, minus engine & trans. $2500

tractorguy likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

Trucks seem to be the hot thing right now. Prices seem to be way more than the price guides suggest. I think Squirrel is about right. Falling apart field trucks seem to be advertised about $2500. New doors and fenders are quite pricey for those 55-59 trucks. Making a decent $5000 truck a good buy.

belair and Black_Sheep like this.

5. [​IMG] this one is advertised on Popular Bluff Mo. Facebook Marketplace. Today $1500

catdad49 likes this.
  6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Around this area anything under $7500 is rotten or doesn't have a title.
    By the time you find and ship one from out west its gonna be that or more.
    That's for a builder project .
    Running and driving stocker in nice shape is $15K- $25K unless the owner is living in a cave without internet.
    Best bet is to go to some big shows and see what's available for your comfort zone.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am no good on prices as I paid 75 bucks for my truck originally and 50 for the truck I took the cab that it has in the photo during a rebuild.
    What I can suggest from 40 something years of fooling with these things.
    Find the truck with the best sheet metal you can find. I am not a "patina" fan but faded old original paint on a potential project doesn't tell a lot of lies. Fresh primer that still smells tells a lot of lies.
    Don't pay a bunch extra for things you are going to pull off no matter how proud the seller is of them. That includes aftermarket wheels that don't fit in your build plan, An old stock engine and trans that you don't intend to use. (do check the vin on the title against the number on the block in case the state used that as the vin. Then you do not get rid of that block until you get the title corrected after you finish the build. Around here too many guys think that block with the head off in sitting in the rig with a quarter inch of rust in the cylinders is valuable because "it's original"
    Same with dress up items you don't plan to use, be it valve covers, air cleaner or under dash gauges. If you don't plan on using them they only have swap meet table value at most.
    Do your homework and figure out the average asking price for the kind of truck you are hunting is. That means looking at Craigslist adds from all around the country.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one Old Wolf posted looks a lot better than a lot of them I see advertised for a lot more around here.

9. Not much info in the add about the truck. It appears from the picture to be missing the engine and have bondo rust issues along the bottom edge.

10. Ive owned quite a few of those trucks. I have 4 in the hoard at Present. The old bob trucks are a good source for rust free cabs & doors. However it seems to me that its difficult to change out a door and get the fitment correct. also where the front edge of the door meets the fender can be a problem.

302GMC and belair like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Seems in Oregon some pull them out of their 30 year resting place covered with moss and want $5,000 plus. Lots of dreamers on CL, but after awhile the price drops.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

On a funny side note, a guy had listed a '55 Chevy 4 door ( rear door handles shaved) as a "Special Edition" . :D. I learn new things reading people's descriptions.

Squablow and gonzo2424 like this.
  13. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

That was my first thought. It seems like $2500 is the going rate for a roller that needs everything, and the price goes up from there depending on condition. Sold trucks on Ebay and CL are a fair indicator of market value, probably more so than Old Cars Price Guide, NADA, etc...

tractorguy likes this.
  14. There is a guy from Oregon on U tube. Classic Truck Rescue. He has been hoarding 55 thru 59 chevys & GMC,s. He has reciently ran into Zoning Problems and now has them for Sale. The one I posted earlier probably already sold. The listing has been removed.

15. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Thanks, everyone. Great information as always. Thanks Old Wolf for the CTR channel- already like 20 videos deep. That man has a lot of knowledge on these trucks and I find it very useful.

I've come across a GMC 100 Big Window step side- complete and all original supposedly besides relocating the gas tank and replacing the original straight 6/Hydromatic with a 305 and 4 speed. No resto except a cosmetic clean up/paint. Truck looks clean (yet to see in person) and he is asking $17. I haven't seen many come across that complete/driving/clean so hard to compare but feel like it's not far off from a great value.

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You must mean 17 large … anyone that would remove a 248 or 270 hydro for a 305 is morally decayed ...

tractorguy and gonzo2424 like this.
  17. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

That's where I struggle on that price. Much rather have the original.

18. Budget36

Budget36

I may have missed it, but are you looking for something turn-key in 100% shape, or solid to build, or something needing work, or...?

19. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Topic for the thread was really thoughts on valuation for all of the above (with the hopes that it would benefit more people than just me). Me personally- driving, solid, and 99% original is what I am looking for. Not looking for a perfect restore or show truck.

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

21. Another Facebook market listing, old Phillip's 66 avgas rig.
    Prices certainly are not the same across the land, rust belt areas pay good money for dry vehicles and what may seem not to rusty here would be a rust bucket out west. 20181230_155645.jpg FB_IMG_1546203352723.jpg FB_IMG_1546203364323.jpg

22. squirrel

squirrel

the big trucks seem to be worth quite a bit less than the little ones....everywhere....