Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stovebolt Dream Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flux capacitor, Aug 10, 2015.

1. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Dyno Dave, your first class Hamb! I'm set back 3/16 from stock. Thank you soo much! The information you've given will speed up the project big time....... eliminating hours of web surfing for parts. I'm especially happy to know of the kit with fasteners. I'm also pondering what would you restore the exterior "color" of the carburator bodies with? I'm not about to desecrate the originality piece, it to me is an ancient "speed gem" of beauty. Thanks again! Flux

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Flux, I went looking for what was used on the Carters, came up with yellow dichromate "transparent gold" a dyed finish. Some of carburator restorers can redo the color on the zinc carb bodies... Looking at your firewall pictures, this would the the time to consider a 2.5"/ 3" wide 1/2" to 3/4" deep horizontal relief starting at the steering column opening, running toward the vertical flange. This relief allows clearance your rear carb choke cable & its linkage, it's very tight there +3/16... My carbs have a sort a faded gold finish, but fresh "gold" ones would sure look good against your engine color... DYNO DAVE

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    volvobrynk and flux capacitor like this.
  3. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Much obliged sir! Monday I'll order kits from your recommended source & next chance I get to work on her I'll tackle the rear carb clearance issues, while its easy access. Thanks! Flux

4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Flux, HOLD that Hammer... I gave the relief info from memory.... WRONG.. There might be a better way, one of my choke cable bracket was missing, so got a repop from Grossmueller's. It was a bronze casting, my buddy Brian cut the depth down and welded together for better clearance. Part #E10A was $50.00, this part # is good for 53 or 54s. Your CC bracket is different than mine, but #E10A repop should work. The first tight area is just below the right side of the voltage regulator and its tight again at the flange area, the firewall side thottle linkage is the issue here, consider removing/trimming this linkage & shaft...with these two mods a horizontal relief may not be needed, but some relief at the flange might the fitment easier. Once you start mocking the manifold & carbs up, you'll get a handle on it. Next time I'll look before making such brash statements, DYNO DAVE

5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Correct again Dave, Your info is over the top amazing! My Dad & I did some careful measuring & I luckily have not quite a 1/2 inch to spare between firewall & choke linkage, once the "firewall support flange" is carefully trimmed, I was suprised that it's 11 inches in length from the cylinder head ports to top of the carbs. The rear carb is under the firewall mounted master cylinder I've installed so that's a relief. Got me wondering if fresh air duct tubes could stay? If not I've thought about eliminating them anyway. It looks like the steering column I'm going to use in combination with the rack & pinion will help free up room too. Our original carb linkage was mocked up when I changed the front cradle to fit the factory manifold & I can deal with those mods. It appears , at least for now that it will simply require a flange relief. Whew, Thanks ! Flux

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Flux, concerning the driver's side air duct, it will need to removed. I made metal disc to cover the opening, left the passenger's duct in place... Considered a using a 4 elbow deal, 1st. from firewall disc, to a tube to the outside of the inner fender panel, 2nd. to a tube running forward to 3rd. elbow, back inside the engine compartment and 4th, on to the inlet... For air cleaners I'm using those small 4.5" dia. chrome ones, the rear one needed some clearance work, because of my column shift set up. These are labeled " Larry, Curly & Mo"... Recently installed a new fuel pressure regulator, tried to find the Corvette pressure settings, as the 3.5lb. number is for one barrel. Read a Chilton's and their showing a range of 3.5 to 4.5, so I'm to adjust to the upper setting... Keep having FUN.... Dave

7. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I was offered a complete set for 4000 ten years ago... Couldn't afford it. It will be awesome, you're a lucky dude.

8. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Good info guys, I'm enjoying the informative side & the stories too boot. Dave thanks again! My son thinks I'm becoming a "Blue Flame" guy. I traded a super low mile 348 "7900 mile" Chevy for a sweet 58 235 after work to help yet another friend building a 58 del Ray & He was pumped , then I took him to view the treasure & he's an older late 50's vette man & his jaw dropped. Especially since he's pals with our buddy who had it! But didn't know about it, it's like it'd been buried for 45 years. Truthfully it's sad greed or the worry about getting burnt when selling a rare item too cheap, enters into a collector's becoming a hoarder. I know I wouldn't want to give some rare stuff away for chump change. What I have experienced here is a friend seeing something put to use that'll be an enjoyment for us all, but what comes around does eventually go around, in a positive manner! Flux

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Keep us posted on the progress of the 235. Very interesting. Long live the inline 6....JT

10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Will do sir. Flux

11. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Flux, A rewrite, meant to say recently found that the last rearward intake/exhaust bolt can removed & replaced with a swivel and a long, long extension...
    Keep "havin fun", dyno dave

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    flux capacitor likes this.
  12. I was in a local Corvette collector/dealers place the other day looking to borrow a couple things for engineering a knockoff wheel hub adaptation to an off-topic sports car and he had a set of side drafts still attached to a never restored '53/54. Car could be a nice survivor with a cleanup.

flux capacitor and volvobrynk like this.
  13. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Hi all , I've gathered up carb kits " thanks! Dyno Dave" & now my hurdle is to locate a repo 3 gang choke cable . Gosmuller s fellow who made them lost his eyesight & they're sold out & oem ones are beyond scarce plus little out've price reach for something that might be fabricated. Here I am again reaching out for any info / advice you guys might have on where to find a set choke cable set up & or ideas & pictures on how to attrach three cables into one? Thanks to all! Flux

14. Great thread! I love this story!

15. This won't help. My uncle used to lay out the cable lengths side by side by side. Wire length really. Small hard, high tensile strength metal wire ... 3 wide. The ends were screwed into the choke turn screws. The other three ends were brought back into the cabin and crimped to keep stationary ... probably crimped the length of. I do not know how the knob was attached. I am guessing here, but I imagine the 3 wires had their hard cover slid on before the handle was attached. As well, I know there has to be some sort of mast support on the intake somewhere for leverage. Again, I wish I had better insight, but my uncle is gone ... and at the time, I was too young to understand. Makes sense enough that I think one could attempt a capable fix though. Who knows ? Good luck though.

16. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thanks! I've located a factory support bracket but am waiting to buy it until the cable delimma is figured out. What you suggest makes sense & ill accumulate every bit of advice I get & make them as neat as possible & post pics. I'm still up for suggestions . I miss my uncle too he's the one who taught us young guys in out family. A multi talented individual. Appreciate it! Flux

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. autobilly

autobilly

I run a Holden "Grey" motor (baby Stovebolt) with triple SU's and "three on the tree". No issues with shift linkage fouling due to Right Hand Drive.;)

18. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

In the mock up stage, trimmed the LH firewall brace today ......
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Next up, a little touch up paint on the firewall & a final under car detailing. Then back in with the motor & tranny. Triple carb install is inching closer. Flux

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Slow progress on the ol' 53 over this last year but finally getting a chance to tinker on it some & got away to the Ozark Empire Swap Meet today with. Grand Pa & Son & scored these 50s era breathers that mimic the real deal ones! I couldn't remember the company that made them , except the fellow said it started with I think a B & these were used on aftermarket set ups with ususlly 2 barrel tri power combos. I'm going to have a machinist, actually a retired "toolist" pal make some adapter sleeves to seal up the slight gap between it and the original carb opening. I was curious If any of you guys know the name & what kind of filter should I put in them? I'm not too hip on foam filters at all. Flux IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    anthony myrick and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. 6inarow

6inarow

Cant answer your question but you have a nice set up there!!

21. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

1AB39DD2-9548-4A11-BFBE-CDC21D87D2E5.jpeg C634EBAD-1B2B-4483-831E-904885F6D938.jpeg
    After many months, finally ready to install the set up to its forever home. All 3 yh’s restored & replated , intake cleaned up nicely too. Awaiting the exhaust to come back from ceramic coating & in a few weeks I hope to have time to install, greatly advancing the project . More pics to come , I appreciate all the help all you guys give me along the way! Flux

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    rod1, tractorguy, Gofannon and 2 others like this.
  22. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Great looking set-up! I know you asked a while ago, but I think your air cleaners are Badger brand. They made a lot of really cool air cleaners in the 50’s

I run a 54 corvette exhaust manifold on my 235 and even that created clearance issues, as the outlets are closer to the firewall than say, Fenton headers.

Good luck with you car, your progress is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

flux capacitor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Fentons are what we’re using, they clear great. Thx! Flux

24. rudestude

rudestude

I have one of them....no carbs just manifold... I also have a original early , 1950 , Fenton exhaust manifolds the ones that have the heat riser that bolts to the bottom of the intake like the original manifold ...it's on my brother's car at this time...the plan is to put all on a 50 Chevy Bel-Air 235 I'm putting together...mine also has no numbers on it .....yours is looking very nice.... 1546139053433.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Sweet ! Yours looks to be in really good shape especially where the mounting ears get broke , I dressed down an old aluminum welding repair to our front flange to “beautify” it. I love collecting vintage stovebolt speed equipment too. Flux

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

so do I.

I have a liking for stuff made in Los Angeles
    20181111_155210.jpg

27. rudestude

rudestude

Ya the manifold I have doesn't have any signs of cracking or repair work being done....one day I hope to find some "affordable" carbs for it....and Stovebolt you do have a nice collection going.... I have a L.A one in my collection but it's for a International.....big truck... I have the Zenith carbs for that one... I will be back for more on your build Flux I like to see how it all works out .... Thanks
    Terry (aka) Rudestude IMG_20181229_231526~2.jpeg IMG_20181229_231447_1~2.jpeg IMG_20181229_231515_1.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Major progress today “New Years” day..... 0B974887-1854-4A38-8912-43FBE22CB003.jpeg sleeves installed in intake .... thx Dyno Dave!
    8B33C1BC-11EA-4EC3-A250-F25ECC13170E.jpeg
    Bake o lite looking original spacers reinstalled
    D9B9C189-474C-4DAB-B2FC-D273B11FD222.jpeg
    Linkage & nuts snugged down carefully D6946FCA-813C-4C25-93EB-E4DB4AE9236C.jpeg
    The little table it all started on now holding finished product EE44CFA6-D5BD-48EF-8F70-26E088956035.jpeg
    Possibly gm’s first attempt at speed equipment looking much better after it’s restoration. Currently waiting on manifolds to come back from ceramic coating. More to come . Flux

Gofannon, kidcampbell71 and LowKat like this.
  29. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

A2937B2C-4B3C-49FF-98DE-E30EB91360B9.jpeg Almost done ........

rod1, rudestude, tractorguy and 5 others like this.
  30. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

After a longer break than I planned on the 53 is nearing completion for Dads 60 year class reunion. IMG_0181.jpeg IMG_0165.jpeg
    Linkage done ✔️
    3 in 1 choke cables ✔️
    Fuel lines next week & almost ready to fire up