Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ideas on a third brake light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

2. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Gatz, thanks for your comments. The project in general right now is on "hold" in the garage due to other priorities, and the brake light assembly is literally in pieces. I'll tey to post pics ASAP when I get everything cut, fit, and mocked up.
    You're right about FOMOCO using relays and sequencers for turn signals, but I'm thinking about just wiring the six LEDs in pairs -probably in parallel - so they work as blinkers or blinkers/center two for turns. I'm no Nikola Tesla when it comes to wiring, not sure they can be wired to work that way. If not, I'll be happy with just the six LED brake lights. The Edsel has really big tail lights.

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4228FBEC-758A-4213-98A3-AB5BF0D956EA.jpeg When I had the homemade Connie kit on the back of the bird, I used a 57 trunk handle (torquoise paint sanded off) with red led’s. Until it lit up, you couldn't see the leds, but even in the daytime it was pretty visible. Might find a more appropriate emblem and make that work.

I don’t like them, but with today’s idiots .......

scullandcrossspaners likes this.
  4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Beer Bottle Third Brake Light on my '50 Chevy.

DSCN0404.JPG

5. If the pimento in the martini olive does not light up... I'm calling the product a total fail... get yer $$ back....

ClayMart likes this.
  6. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I've thought the same thing, if I ever get lucky enough to "do something." Used to be able to poke around older junk yards and find some, but it's harder now.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. rudestude

rudestude

I'm sure that place .....oh..ah..ah....they probably got one just for that......mmmmmm...you know the place ...the one's that sell them "Traditional" cup holder's.......... I kid.... the lights in the bed roll holes would be a good choice...that's what I had in a 50 Chevy truck years back....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I never liked the looks of a third brake light but bought this 20s, 30s? accessory lamp at an estate sale and wanted to use it somehow. Cleaned it up, stripped the nickel plating and made an aluminum bracket. Already had a red celluloid filter inside the glass and takes an automotive type bulb.

DSCN6032.JPG aef7776a-f34e-4ad1-8871-482746d6608f.jpg

10. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Dave Mc likes this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0121.JPG For my 60 Pontiac Bubbletop I went to the Pull & Pick and removed a third brake light assembly from a Japanese sedan. Painted it blue to match the interior and installed it on the Pontiacs rear package shelf. Its barely visible in the back window until it lights up. Looks as if it is a factory installation that really does the job. The good news is it didn't cost anything.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Gasoline Junkie and Cosmo49 like this.
  12. As part of my accessory vending business, I create shift knobs from vintage items such as these old microphones. It's not unknown for an occasional customer to use them as light housings. It's most often done on motorcycles, but it can work very well for 3rd brake lights inside the rear window, too.
    I have a couple of other similar projects up my sleeve but if I told you more then I'd have to kill ya. :rolleyes:

DSCN1342 (1).JPG DSCN1222.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm not really sure if it could be considered traditional, but I bought one of these chopper tail lights just because it was unique and thought maybe I could use it as a 3rd brake light in something.

Attached Files:

14. southerncad

southerncad

Now you need to do the same to the other side, and wire up turn signals:p

upspirate likes this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought these licence plate bolts with lights on bottom facing the plate and LED brake light on the head of the bolt. Can't recall from where but found them on Ebay. They are super bright only problem is they tend to stick out some on a bumperless rod.

16. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Got any pics?

17. Thought that anything would be better than nothing if it kept some nitwit from hitting me in the gas tank. Used a 41 Chevy light encased in one of those frenching cans. Just had to make a back and a simple mount bracket. Added a blue dot lens to help the visibility.
    20180820_082738.jpg
    20180706_194248.jpg
    20180315_172947.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    wicarnut, Dave Mc, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  18. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I found this one here on HAMB last March, I plan to change it to led if needed but so far it's still on my work bench. This is the first one I've seen but since have seen another. "woodytom" here on hamb had it and said it came on his car built in France!
    IMG_7073.JPG

mgtstumpy and ahshoe like this.
  19. Don't have one, they're kind of unnecessary, one light, two lights, three lights, if they're going to rearend you it's going to happen no matter how many lights you have.

20. I have a rectangular Lucas fog light on the rear of my Modified. It is wired so that it comes on with the brake lights but when it is foggy and I turn on the front fog light it is taken out of the brake light circuit and acts as a fog light

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ned Ludd likes this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

'40s Chevy was my first thought. It also wouldn't look out of place simply mounted to the body.

A thought I had recently was if one could have an LED lightcard in one of those old Lucas bullet-centre fog lights facing rearwards, with two drivers so that it shines white as a reversing light and red as a rear fog or third brake light.

22. Here's the wiring diagram. Uses a couple of diodes scan0001.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodharry2 and Ned Ludd like this.
  23. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about a fourth brake light. Turn signal indicators from the front fenders of a '66 T-Bird. You could mount them on the on the top of the bed rails near the cab. Wire them in as brake/turn lights. You would have to change the color of the lens some how though. Gene.

24. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Either it's really well hidden, or you can't see it in the picture because your decklid is a mile and a half long haha any close ups? Nice car btw!

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0182.JPG In the picture I previously posted you can barely see the top of the third brake light assembly directly in the center of the back window. Just as I wanted it to be. The least obtrusive as possible. When it lights up its extremely visible.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    wicarnut, Dave Mc, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  26. Colin HD

Colin HD

DSCF7371.JPG DSCF7374.JPG DSCF7361.JPG

Bent up some clear 20mm dia acrylic 'bubble' rod, that will have a red LED lights at either end.
    This will sit under the bubble top, between the headrests.
    thumbnail_20181211_1111234.jpg

GuyW, David Gersic and anthony myrick like this.
  27. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

You sir have nailed it ,

Gman0046 likes this.
  28. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

29. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Here’s the setup I’m pondering for my ‘36 Coupe. I agree that 3rd brake lights are a far cry from traditional, but as the others have said, I fear the drivers today have become accustomed to looking for a 3rd brake light as a sign you’re braking, between the up and down head bobbing of looking at their phone. So with that, I’m going to try and use a 1950 Jaguar backup light with a red bulb. From the outside the glass looks nice and milky white, but when lit it will be red. I hope to have some red bulbs next week to try my theory out.
    D5AC289C-46C5-42FA-A1E6-14FFCCC12DBC.jpeg
    B38872E2-B396-4989-A532-7ABE897AD037.jpeg
    1261B6D4-BBDC-4C8D-9DE8-CCDD95A4E7F0.jpeg

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My NOS Hollywood :D
    Hollywood stop light on.JPG

GuyW, Dave Mc, 57tailgater and 6 others like this.