Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Should I Even Consider A Tunnel Ram? Let's Get Scientific

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmishMike

AmishMike

U mean those tweeters that run nitrous in pro-mods that turn 6s at over 200?

swade41 and Deuces like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've read that nitrous oxide was used on the dry lakes and Bonneville in the late 40s.

And no it wasn't on the internet, it was Hotrod, Car Craft or one of there competing mags in the late 70s.

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  3. AmishMike

AmishMike

We agree^^^^. That is why I wrote “HAMBer so stop reading”. Trying to save hood & keep nice street driver while 20% of time can have fun at the track.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew there was something lurking behind that face. Badass mean lookin mutha too...:cool:

Kan Kustom and raven like this.
  5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My opinion, Tunnel Rams are good for Wider Torque Range. My low rise 2X 2bbl's switched to the Tunnel Ram 2bbls same carbs lifted the wheels in second with Thames, never done that before, seemed to start and idle better (which seems odd). A friend of mine slipped a TRIX ram on a 350 flat top, TH350 auto with 4.11 gears, street driver runs 12.20's...quicker than it ever ran with a single 4bbl. You don't have to worry about vapor lock either...might be part of the performance gains as well. Add the look factor...these days worth the time to install and have FUN...

loudbang, Deuces and egads like this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If it stumbles and farts under 3 grand, don't run it under 3 grand. Get some gears!!:cool:

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Often heard at Chevy dealership service departments across the country in 1967 when the Z/28 came out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    lumpy 63 likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

It was easier to install a smaller Holley on it...... ;)

9. 6sally6

6sally6

An A/T will be consistently quicker than a 4 speed when it comes to drag racing.... A properly sized 4 barrel will beat a tunnel ram in a street/strip application usually.
    I own neither an A/T nor a tunnel ram so what do I know?!
    I know .....Tunnel Rams are "the-cats-meow......the-ying-and-the-yang....very-high-drool-factor...bulge-in-the-britches" of MOST hot rodders and street rodders alike.
    I vote...GO SLOWer....but BE COOLer and go with the TR!!
    There, I said it!
    6sally6

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  10. JHoughton

JHoughton

What ever happened with this build?

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's the latest tunnel ram I did last week, customer loves it even with auto trans and so so rear gears, un known stall. Idles great at low RPM.

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom, Deuces and swade41 like this.
  12. I got mine bolted up ! 20190503_224250.jpg

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Do you have your vac. sec. Pots hooked together ? I t does help

Deuces likes this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

2old, Got it running last Thursday and he had a car gathering to go to on Sat.. He wanted a couple days to get used to it and clean it up a bit. Comes back tomorrow for a final tune up than I will bend some small stainless tubing (instead of rubber hose) and connect the 2 ports. Still trying to learn all I can about these new to me QF carbs. Lots of adjustability over the old Holley's of yesteryears.................................................

Deuces likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Looks great!... :)
    What's the List-# on those carbs????....

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Got mine fired up on the run stand a couple of weeks ago, same set up I had on the 400 sbc. Now on the 377 with more compression and more cam + better heads. Still using the 1850 600s for now with 50cc accelerator pumps , milled off choke horns etc. changed the power valves from 6.5 to 5.0s for the loss of vacuum with the bigger cam. Idles at 1000 revs fast no farts or pops . Thinking its time for more gear:cool:

Deuces likes this.
  17. Sorry I missed this originally, but NO, not true.
    NHRA Pro Stockers have clutches and 5 speeds for a reason;)

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ran a tunnel ram and 2 4224 holleys on my O/T Camaro for years. Drove it on the street,street raced it. Ran it on the track. Ran it on a 375-396. Ran it on a tall deck big block with intake spacers.
    The gas mileage was terrible , I had to block off the Grump Lump hood scoop in cold weather or the throttle plates would frost up and stick. Other than that it started every time I got in it. I used rain-x for my wipers. Put a manual master cylinder on it so I didn't have to worry about vacuum for the power brakes.
    Most of the time I ran a General Kenetics 332 B cam. I loved it when I pulled 2nd gear with my 4.11's
    and watched the other car in the other lane fall back because I was kicking his ass and taking his money.

Deuces and egads like this.
  19. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I'm curious as well. Contemplating a tunnel ram 377 chevy build myself

20. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

i know its an old thread but i see this type of thing posted on all sorts of tunnel ram threads and im only a member of this forum....

can someone please expand on this for me..?
    What does it mean?
    Does it mean ANY car with a single carb will beat ANY tunnel ram just cos its got one carb..?

what about all the tunnel ram setups that “spank” single carb setups..?

isnt power, power at the end of the day..? So like.... a 700,800,900hp single carb car likely WOULD beat a 600hp tunnel rammed car.... but..would it REALLY be just because its got one carb..?

I would think a cammed 600hp engine might be more angry and less streetable than an equal cubed tunnel ram one of the same power.. To a certain point, theyll both need rear gears and a torque converter wont they? and so isnt a tunnel ram just another way to skin the same cat..?
    Id also think, if you had a milder setup, a tunnel ram would be an instant few HP and lb/ft extra without getting into the whole engine....?

im just trying to get clarification on that, not be a dick..

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I do like louvers but a well trimmed hole cut to let an injector stick out makes my tongue hang out.

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Oh man that gets me going ! I am loving this thread.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm still trying to figure out why you would run Vac secondary carbs on a TR or a blower?:D

24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I am very pleased with the 2 1850s I have on my 37. Choke horns milled off 50cc accelerator pumps on em, # 31 squirters . 377 small block .Secondary vacuum pods tied together. Its a stick car and pulls F ing hard to 7500. My blown 57 has two 750 double pumpers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.