Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Ford Crestline V8 starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockin' Rob, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Hi, friends. Is it going to be a tough task to remove my starter on my '54 239 CID ? I'm not a mechanic by any means and mine just went out on me, I think. I need to inspect it to see. Thanks for any help!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 54vicky

54vicky

check your wire connections real good also solenoid before trying to remove starter.they have to be one of the hardest to remove.hard to explain but you will get a good work out.good luck

3. It has been a long time since I had one out. I may be mixing it up with another year. Don't hesitate to speak up if I am wrong. Is this the starter where two relatively small bolts run from the end of the case the length of the starter into the flywheel housing? They have about 3/8 heads. If you can't find anything else, look for that. When you get it out put a couple of nuts on the bolts to keep everything together. Post if I remembered correctly.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. vickckik

vickckik

I used to have a Ford Wrench. It was a box end that looked like a C when laid flat. If I remember correctly it made it easier to reach and turn the starter bolts.

5. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like you're thinking of the flathead starter. 1954 would be an OHV engine.

Rockin' Rob and 54vicky like this.
  6. You are right. I thought they might have remained the same. Thanks for the correction.
    Charlie Stephens

7. Craftsman made one or used to make one, 9/16" on one end, 5/8" on the other end. I'm sure I have at least 1 of them.

Found you one in about 10 seconds.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/202517119010?chn=ps

8. 54vicky

54vicky

the bolts are not the problem they can be undone with a socket and extension same for replacing the problem is getting it out.without a video it is hard to explain I am sure that somewhere someone has tried to explain.over the years again good luck

Rockin' Rob likes this.
  9. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Thanks, guys. I have the starter loose BUT it looks like I am going to have to remove the motor mount on that side. There is not enough room (that I can see) to slide the starter out. The starter drive/bendix extends out far enough to cause a space issue (SUPER TIGHT QUARTERS). What a mess just to change a starter! I wanted to ALSO ask... my '54 has been converted over to 12 volt from 6. I am going to install a 12 volt starter and wanted to make sure that this is a good move. I have read that a 6 volt starter will work for a while but over time could pre-maturely wear out receiving the 12 volts. Confirmation? Thanks for the help! ~ Rob

10. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

It is an overhead V8. Starter is right up next to the block. Looks like I will have to take the dang motor mount out just to get the starter out. It's crazy that Ford would do it that way.

11. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

I think I will have to take the motor mount out to make room for the starter to slide out. Ugggh!

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

If I remember right if you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left it helps. I changed a starter on a 1965 Buick Skylark GS with a 401. Got the starter off but could not get it out went to a dealer and looked at the shop manual it said pull the engine. They can get harder.

13. j3harleys

j3harleys

When you get it throw it away and get a mini starter. I quit fighting those big heavy ones along time ago. It' a snap remove and replace them. Just my opinion. Good luck.

14. 54vicky

54vicky

if you go that route watch the distributor cap the starter will come out and in without doing that.looking at my handle you will know I have done it a few times over the years.a vet might compare it to a breech birth:eek:.the bendix will give you fits going back in also.as I said earlier hope you checked connections and solenoid a little late now if you did not.if you do much of your own work on your cars engineers do not work on the things they design.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

This is one way we learn troubleshooting techniques, we want to make sure a component is defective before crawling around underneath and skinning knuckles. What makes you think it's bad?

16. Terrible80

Terrible80

It'll come w/o removing motor mount. Pay attention to the way you do it, often counter intuitive.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54vicky likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

54 Y's must be different the 56's; a socket and extension get the bolts out and with no power steering it just about falls out.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you are getting a new starter anyway go with a mini. I never was a fan of that starter drive.

19. 54vicky

54vicky

do yourself a favour look on here for the 52-59 ford social group there is fellow on there that sells a manual in Cd or thumb drive form that you will find invaluable when doing things on your car.do yourself a favour and join no cost and lots of help you will find a lot of ideas on things you are contemplating doing lowering etc.as to cross member that is a common problem it is not the type of thing you should attempt to repair yourself as there is more to it then just cutting and welding in a new one.you will need a jig built to hold everything in place if you join.you will find a FAQ section on there it is for info only do not ask questions on the FAQ section use forum part for questions.there was someone selling fabricated cross members on the bay at the time he got good reviews hopefully he is still doing them.

20. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Hmmm. I've never heard of a mini starter for a '54 victoria crestline.

21. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Thanks. Did a google search and didn't see anything relative to a "mini starter" for a '54 Crestline Vic.

22. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

My dad is gonna come look at it for me. He is a mechanic. I am not much of a mechanic but I know a few things, LOL. There just isn't much room to back the starter out, especially with the long drive shaft/bendix. At the rear is the motor mount and down below is a steering cross bar of some sort.

23. j3harleys

j3harleys

They have them. I have used them 3 times. Once in my 54. Half the size and half the weight. Does not matter on body trim package. Its just a Y block. Google Y block mini starter, it will work on your vic.

24. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Well, since I've had the car i'ts always taken a while for the car to catch and start. It finally quit even turning the engine the other day and it makes this spinning metal sound. No engine turn. I was able to see the logo on the starter and it is definitely old if not original. Also, the car has been converted over to 12 volt from 6. I was told recently that over time a 12 volt system going to a 6 volt starter can wear it on down. It seems that I am also having that problem with my temp gauge at the dash. The previous owner did not put in a volt reducer going to the gauges so I have to repair that as well. Car doesn't run hot but the needle creeps up to the overheating level. I use a temp gun and the car is fine. No overheating.

25. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

What Sunbeam stated X2.
    The trick is to turn the steering all the way in one direction. If that does not help, turn it in the other direction. No need to remove the motor mount. Those mini starters are only OK until they start wearing the edge of the ring gear off on one side. I have had bad experience with them and went back to original Ford ones. The 12 volt FORD one will bolt right into setup.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  26. j3harleys

j3harleys

google Y block mini starter. Don't look for a 54 Ford Victoria. Its a starter motor, It will fit a vicky or custom line or a F1.

27. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Your tip worked! I have installed the new smaller powermaster starter but now i'm 2nd guessing because of what you say about the wear on the flywheel. Damn.

28. BJR

BJR

If it sounds good when cranking the engine with no grinding, it probably is OK. If there is a removable inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing, remove it and engage the starter and see if the starter gear is fully engaged with the flywheel.