Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need garage heating ideas:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Dec 25, 2018.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My cousin gave me a big wood furnace. I just had to add a chimney. It takes a bit to get it warm but it keeps it warm as long as there's wood (which, in itself will keep you warm cutting, splitting, stacking, etc).

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was given a wood burning furnace to put in my 30 x 40 x 12 new garage. Wife changed insurance company while I was working of town. New agent told her the woodburner was an additional $500 a year. When I got home, I had to remove the furnace. Seems they got tired of people starting fires in their heaters with gasoline or paint thinner so they wouldn't cover wood burners in a garage without a hefty rate increase. Still have the wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Those are ppl who don't know how to start a fire...;)

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

How well does that work ? My brother gave me one of those and I have never plugged it in. It looked to me like it wouldn't do much so I just put it aside. I may have to rethink it if yours does well.

6. Camm

Camm

Pellet Stove works great.

61cad likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is a pretty basic heater, since I bought it in the 90's they have come out with others with more features. It probably wouldn't be the best choice for people that work all winter long in very cold climates but for me it takes the chill off and if I get real busy I'll make my own heat.

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I use one of those propane thingies that go no top of a tank, keep an eye on the flammable stuff. But then again I live in Nor Cal

9. oldolds

oldolds

I believe those split units are called ductless air conditioners. With the heat option. They are easy to install. The AC is pre charged. Hook it up, purge it. You should be ok. As stated above about $1200. For heat and AC. Look at most building supply stores to get an idea about them. Then go to plumbing supply place and you should get a better deal.

flatford39 likes this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are people who make it rough on everyone else and don't think a thing about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Oil is the best heat , followed by propane then natural gas . I worked in the natural gas , Liquid Propane pipeline distribution for 35 years . We stored , 27 million gallons of LPG . Used motor oil is a good option also , but it’s dirty . Natural Gas or Propane is probably your best safest cleanest way to go

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have a 24 x 24 with minimal insulation . I have a hanging Chinese 5000 electric. It does a great job and doesn't seem to run often but I keep it at 55 on the thermostat. It was $99 on Amazon.

13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

That heater might be too hot.

Attached Files:

14. Carrier & installed close to &3,500 & the cabinets are New Age around $1,300 shipped & I had to install them. There are two small units on the floor that go between top of the upright units.

15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

This is the unit I installed at son's house in Vegas. Poured concrete pad for outside unit and wired power from panel to outside unit. Once this was done, took about 3 hours to hookup and get running.
    https://www.costco.com/Mr-Cool-DIY-18K-BTU-Mini-Split-Heat-Pump-with-WIFI.product.100409862.html

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Blaze King wood stove for my shop but my buddy picked up a used electric forced air furnace for his 3+ car garage from a friend with an HVAC shop who had pulled it out of a fairly large house and replaced it with a heat pump. That bugger put out some serous heat in his shop.

17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60000 BTU Reznor Overhead propane powered Heater garage 27'x23...works like a champ...No Pics but it sure takes the Bite out of the cold air in a hurry and safety issues are in place.

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We all like to work in the garage for various reasons. It is time away from someone in the house, it is to be near a workbench and tools, and smell the cooling down of the motor/cars just sitting there staring back at you. “Wipe me down, so I will be ready for tomorrow’s road trip.”

We have always had a two car garage about the same size. (except for a two year stint in a 3000 sq. ft. /three car garage house…) heating has always been a challenge. But, with the newest, latest design in heating elements, there is no need for keeping that whole house garage door open to get the warm flow from inside.

Besides, would you rather be slightly cold or chasing mice around with your wife screaming? Keep that door closed and shut the blinds on the windows. My neighbor has an insulated garage door and it is warmer than my garage. My advantage is that I use this very efficient heating element near my workbench to keep me warm.

It is a parabolic heater. No noisy moving fan blades or loud motors, just plain heat, aimed at you, at the workbench. Why heat the other side of the garage when you are not there? In most houses, the local gas companies always suggest that we all close vents to the unused rooms and concentrate on where we usually hang out: TV room, living room, etc. The garage usually does not have a heater vent, so a portable heater is part of the solution.

Jnaki

upload_2018-12-27_3-27-29.png upload_2018-12-27_3-27-50.png
    The heating element makes no noise, but tons of heat.

One day, we were walking around in a Costco and got blasted by a noise-less heater. It was sitting on some boxes about head high and was blasting heat across the 10 foot wide aisle. I went to the other side of the aisle and it was still warm over there, not as much as being closer, but still warm and comfortable. We all know how cold those Costco giant warehouses are in the winter, even with their ceiling gas heaters turned on and running.

upload_2018-12-27_3-28-36.png current Costco unit.
    "The Presto® HeatDish® Plus parabolic electric heater uses a computer-designed parabolic reflector to focus heat, like a satellite dish concentrates TV signals. It feels three times warmer than 1,500 watt heaters, yet uses a third less energy. The HeatDish® Plus warms you directly. You feel the heat almost instantly without first heating the room. Because the heater uses just 1000 watts, it can help save enough on electric bills to pay for itself in as little as one year.”

Features:

· Focuses heat where it's needed most...on you!

· Infinite Switch technology: provides a virtually infinite choice of heat settings, allowing you to select with precision the level of warmth desired

· Combines Tip-over switch protection with a warning buzzer that sounds if the heater is jarred or tipped while the heating element is energized.

· Handy built-in cord wrap for convenient storage

· Designed by Presto Engineers in Wisconsin

Room Size: Ideal for use in any size rooms – even open spaces. Keeps you warm so there is no need to heat your surroundings.

Wattage Output: 1000 Watts.

Heating Element: Resistive heating element wrapped around a heat retentive ceramic cone.

Concentrate the quiet heat directly on you and your working area. The parabolic heaters come in all sizes and can be placed just about anywhere. They are extremely cost efficient. It does not matter how small or large the garage is for working on “stuff.” It is very quiet and sends out tons of heat, just for you.

raven and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

By 6 porcelain basement light fixtures, place them were you need light, run 12 gauge wire to them and use 300 watt regular light bulbs.. You get light and heat from them, two for the price of one..
    In the summer switch the bulbs out for large LED bulbs..

porcelin.jpg iu.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Beanscoot likes this.
  21. Used one of these to heat a 24' x 24' garage to build stock cars. It put out a ton of heat quickly. It burned kero, home heating oil or diesel. Depending on what was around and cheapest. We took it apart now and then to clean the ash and soot out of it. I'd never use one again... it was a freebie at the time.

22. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I built this a few years ago. I use it to heat my 30 X 40 shop. I burn slab wood that I purchase at a local sawmill for $20 a bundle. Last month was mostly below normal temperatures. I keep the shop about 72 degrees and I used about $15 worth of wood for the month. I designed and built a couple of features that I think make my furnace more efficient than some of the commercial ones. IMG_1373.JPG

23. spanners

spanners

I just checked our last power bill. 52.8 cents Australian peak rate. Heat in the shed is not an option. At the moment it's just nudging 40 degrees C (100 degrees F +) but can't afford cooling either.

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I am finishing up the shop and using a Mr.Heater Big Max.... works very well..but my studio is not finished above the shop and while the Heater does push upstairs..I am thing of going electric.....Our peak rate is 13.2 cents per kWh and the off peak is 6.5 kWh....One of them electric units just may do the trick.... or a smaller Mr Heater..... We run on Propane. IMG_2516.jpg IMG_2518.jpg

Studio in progress

IMG_2473.jpg

25. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

I have a radiant tube heater for the last 15 years and I love it.
    My highest bill was $110 for a month that was in the 20s - 30s.
    I can paint in my shop in the winter since the heater intakes air from the outside and exhausts it to the out side.
    I typically cant tell the heater is on by the sound but I can feel the warmth on my skin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn, Jeff. That kinda rocks.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  27. I have a 50,000 btu Mr Heater Big Maxx in my 16' x 24' garage. It works great, runs quiet. Keep the garage at 10 celsius when I'm not out there, and crank it up to 18 when I go out. Garage heats up quickly.

28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It’s refreshing to hear more guys are going with the electric heat. The money should be spent on insulation and sealing the garage /shop or work area . With new technology in insulation like spray foam you can achieve R-25 in a shop wall and R-52 in the ceiling. Plus it will seal All cracks,drafts and fortify it from Mother Nature. I heat my 24x26 garage with a 15 dollar electric heater during the winter. I don’t even turn it on for days and will stay 50 degrees and hold temp. I turn on the heat when I go And in no time its 65 or 70

patmanta likes this.
  29. I got a propane convection heater that I bought after the October Surprise (freak snow/ice storm) that left us without electricity (and heat) for 1 month to the day in '96. It heated our entire house (1200 square feet and drafty). Works like a champ.

Something else you may try is a wall heater (gas). Like this one they can be purchased in either natural gas or propane. They are ventless and very efficient. Not real expensive.

whites-dyna-glo-gas-wall-heaters-bf30nmdg-64_1000.jpg

Or as a last resort I do have a small furnace (about 40,000 BTU) that could be installed and vented though the wall. I can't use it because my new shop won't have natural gas and I am not thinking that converting it is an option. LOL

30. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Move to southern California. Boom no heat needed

49ratfink likes this.