Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 Banger Winfield Carb

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmdeaton, Jan 18, 2018.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Model SR on a Ensign updraft manifold. What do I have here? Hang it on the wall, or restore it and run it on my hot rod 4 banger? I have a new Scalded Dog intake and a Stromberg, but this was calling my name at my local restoration guys shop.
    IMG_8306.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Murocmaru, burl and Binger like this.
  2. brjnelson

brjnelson

looks like a updraft carb Model C ?

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Lots of people like the winfield carbs. they command a good price. I would restore it and try it out!

4. brjnelson

brjnelson

there should be a "D" or "U" on the bowl and Throttle body

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

So I have it upside down? Makes sense now, it would be a updraft. The Ensign emblems are cast on the other side of the manifold, which would be the top.

6. CC updraft with a C float bowl. Once you understand them you will throw that stromberg away. Shame its not a S model downdraft, I need another for duals.

7. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Where can I learn more and get parts?

8. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

At a certain point there is no advantage other than value to the larger C size if the manifold does not deliver. Kits will be available at Turlock which is a valuable start to parts collection. The SR kit contains the valve and spring for the enrichment plus all the gaskets from A-D. I'm working on getting a SR CD together. Except for the choke, the carb looks complete enough to restore. Good Luck: Fred A

9. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

Very good carburetor with good flow, atomization, adjustability and looks. looks to be intact also.
    Hope you run it!

10. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Thanks Guys, I have about 200 other projects going. Like most of us, but I will source parts and put it on the list. I am trying to get my block to the machine shop so he doesn't have it a year.

11. brjnelson

brjnelson

The first time I took a Winfield carb apart, I could see the Ed Winfield was a Genius , the round float and the throttle blends into the boost venturi when at WOT

12. carbking

carbking

Glad to see someone now is offering kits for the Winfields.

About 20 years ago, we advertised every month in Hemmings FOR TWO YEARS to see if there was enough interest for us to produce rebuilding kits; got one telephone call. With interest like that, we did not invest in the tooling.

A few years ago, the following company had a lot of castings available, but with the interest we had found earlier, we didn't want the castings:

http://www.jandjcarburetors.com/

Don't know if they still have them or not.

We do have some original literature.

Jon.

13. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I googled Turlock, but didn't come up with anything. Any more info on this?
    thanks

14. Budget36

Budget36

He's talking about the Turlock swapmeet in California. Probably a bit of a haul for you;)

15. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Someone has to know a vendor with these?

16. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

17. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Coming up on a year and another Turlock in about a month. Real question is if Barry will be there one last time. If you stepped up to Winfield SR, the now $60 for the kit has seen quite a bit of price resistance but... How much is yours worth? Smart money is trying to wholesale for the long game. As Sponge Bob says: Good Luck With That! Fred A

18. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

to much a haul for me, being in OH. If someone runs across him and can get a phone #. Otherwise I may make the gaskets if I get to this project.