Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modifying SBC 1x2 manifold into 3x2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 Aaron NZ, Feb 11, 2018.

1. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I really enjoy out the box thinking! It is to easy to order something! But there is no craftsmanship to buying it! A buddy of mine had a similar idea. He found a intake made the plates for the inside and top. But he also moved the thermostat housing forward and built a flip top for it! Really neat intake that works well on his 283!

Attached Files:

2. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

39 Aaron NZ any updates? Just wondering

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  3. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

A few late 70s G body Chevys had an aluminum 2 Barrel intake on the small block 267ci, bought one at a swap meet for $25.00 and later sold it to a stock car guy that had rules to run 2 barrel only, Might be easier to work with aluminum if you can find one cheap ?

270ci and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  4. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi pbr40, I haven't opened up the HAMB for a while and I am surprised how fast a year has gone since i drilled 4 holes in the manifold to setup the extra pipe...
    Since then it has sat on the same bench collecting dust.
    I put a heap of time and effort into getting my 39 Chevy on the road, and have been enjoying putting miles on that! (However the tires are to wide for me to post a built thread)
    Before Christmas I'll have this manifold together and tested-hopfully operating well on top of my 327 in my 39.
    I should have a bit more time now I have finished my car.
    Cheers Aaron.

Attached Files:

26 T Ford RPU and Tickety Boo like this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some pretty nifty stuff and craftsmanship here, but my vote goes to Mr. "pbr40", and his intake manifold. I wish I had a Tri-Power intake for a SBC; I'd give it to you for the shipping only. I'm on board with using an aluminum intake as opposed to cast iron; a little headache as opposed to the kind of headache you get with an intra-cranial hemorrhage. Good luck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  6. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Butch, thanks for the kind offer.
    At this stage I'm looking forward to tackling this project, working with what I have and test my brazing skills.
    I will buy the air cleaners, and fit the it to the center carb, that will give me the hight to set the outer carbs.
    As all 6 venturi's are inside the manifold ports, it should/might flow well, possible better than a standard 3x2???
    Might even warrant an 'Alui Mark II' of my 'Steped 3x2'
    I'll keep you all posted, there definitely won't be another year gap!
    Cheers Aaron.

Attached Files:

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Folks on here were quick to dump on me for suggesting that perhaps this endeavor was a waste of time and effort. I find it interesting, but not surprising, that nearly 2 years later virtually no progress has been made and the OP has been instead enjoying driving his running car. This strikes to exactly the point I was making.

One thing I've come to learn as I've gotten older is that my time has significant value. When I was a kid, broker than hell, it was the opposite scenario. I would clean up old, junk parts and try to reuse them to avoid buying new parts that just worked right out of the box. But now I'm older. I have a career, a home, a wife and a daughter. I have a finite amount of time to allocate to all of the things I just mentioned, as well as automotive projects I take on. Anything to speed that process up for the latter should be considered, even if it costs a few extra bucks. There's something to be said for working smarter rather than harder and there really is a cost/benefit analysis that needs to take place.

My point is, if the OP wants a tri-power intake, especially for a common engine like a SBC, IMHO the wiser move is to put a few extra hours in at the office or job and just go buy one. I'd venture to say that if the time spent screwing around with this one was allocated towards work that earned money, the intake would already be bolted to his engine. If the idea is to see how a "stepped" intake would run, wouldn't the better move be to buy the tri-power intake and then space the carbs up? I know some guys will say, "well back in the day they might make their own", which may be true. But tripower intakes were available for purchase then, too. And this isn't 1956 any more. You can go on the internet, buy your stuff, and get it delivered for a reasonable fee. That's a tool they'd use back then if it were available.

Gman0046, D-Russ and scotty t like this.
  8. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Thank you for your input...
    In no way am I comparing myself to Fred Offenhauser, but people probably told him 'why bother' and to 'stay behind a desk'
    I got my car on the road Jan 16 2020, I have focused on what NEEDED to be done, now I have time to do what I WANT to do.
    I would rather spend time in my shed, building, than at work!
    What sort of story is
    'I did 10 hours overtime at work, and FedEx'ed an off the shelf manifold from Summit Racing to my mechanic...'
    Thanks again, Aaron.

vtx1800, RMR&C, '51 Norm and 4 others like this.
  9. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

...And I wonder why we feel that we need to tell Aaron how to spend his time, but that’s just me.

RMR&C, Boneyard51, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

People can spend their time however they want. It's their life, not mine. I'd just rather spend my time building new stuff or stuff that doesn't already exist. It's hard to churn out complete cars as it is, it's even harder to when you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Similar to reinventing a wheel to me . It cool but is it necessary ? To each his own is what the hobby is all about . I just have many other things to do with time , than reinvent what can be be bought and works as God made it to

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

There is a certain visceral satisfaction in bringing an "off the wall" idea to fruition that overtime and 1-800 have never brought to me. The process, whether it brings success or failure, opens my eyes to new possibilities and methodologies for solving the next challenge. When I taught high school, I had students make things work that older, "wiser", more experienced me knew wouldn't work.

13. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Dave, yes even I see this as "cool but unnecessary" that is why I haven't prioritized above getting my car running.
    This is my last reply until I have an actual manifold update.
    Thank you to all watching with interest, I'll keep you posted.
    Cheers Aaron.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Aaron, don’t let the naysayers sway you. I can see this manifold does not consume you, but does interest you. That is the main thing.
    I did a similar thing in a different way, years ago. While electric winches were available, then, they were expensive. I scored a 12,000 lbs pto winch at an auction for cheap. Then a starter motor broke a shaft outside of the middle bearing on a Mack truck at work. Thought they would make a good combo, but how to make it reversing? Enter the three speed/ reverse chain drive lawn mower transmission I selected at the junk yard.
    A couple of spare hours and a few trips to the chain and sprocket store and I had a winch that I “ built” out of largely junk parts that would out perform any electric winch that I was familiar with at the time! Placed in the back of my lifted 4x4 pickup, I used it many many times! Smiled every time I used it!
    Could I have purchased a winch that would work? Yes, but there is a certain satisfaction that comes with designing and building your own idea.
    Like the old saying....” if I have to explain...... no explanation is possible “

Bones

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  15. 26Troadster

26Troadster

the cross fire chevy intake would be easy but the ports are to small to preform anything above 4000 rpm's. i have one on the shelve with a flat plate cut for it. if your interested shoot me a pm.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm a big fan of "enginuity" and building ones own tools,cars, whatever. Built my own house and pole barn and learned how along the way. Journeyman machinist, and self taught welder and fabricator. So I appreciate what you are trying to do. One thing I learned along the way is there are some things that aren't worth doing yourself, or at all.
    I don't want to offend you, but I have to say that from what I see in your moch up, it looks like a bad idea.......to be blunt.......It looks like "crap". Now I'm not saying that to offend you and I hope you take it as intended....honest objectivity. If others on the HAMB think I'm wrong, please say so. I just think the way you are going about it is very amatuerish. In America we would call it "Redneck" engineering.
    With all that said I would like to offer an alternative. Not sure this will work due to the shape of the manifold. I would mill the top of the intake manifold so that you remove the current 2 barrel base and cut a rectangular opening from front to back intake runners. Iwould then make a thick rectangular insert that fits snugly in the rectangular opening and protrudes above the intake an inch or so. On the bottom side of the riser I would machine a pocket that would act as somewhat of a plenum. The plate could be welded or epoxied (or both) or brazed. Then smooth it out and paint it. I think if done properly it could add some performance. ;)

One other question: If you purchase something off Ebay, do you have to pay taxes on the purchase price or some price that your tax people apply to it. I'm asking this because some of the other posters offered you some free stuff.
    If you only have to pay tax on purchase price, they could put it on Ebay for some extremely cheap price and you would have to pay minimal taxes. Say they put something on Ebay for a higher price with a make offer. You offer $10 and they accept. Just trying to find a way to help you get what you want.

Anyway, hope I didn't offend you..........:D:D:D

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  17. You should check out "The Induction Thread", on this site, page 189 (about halfway down the page). A manifold that encountered similar problems as you, but its twisted 90 degrees. Very different.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  18. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

You say 'RedNeck Engineering' like it's a bad thing...
    You have not offended me, and I appreciate the alternative suggestion, it sounds like a take on
    PVR40 manifold in post 91
    Yes New Zealand does pay taxes at the boarder on purchase price, so free would not have any tax.
    I appreciate the kind/free offers, but at this stage am happy working with what I have.
    Cheers Aaron.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Yes, I saw that cool manifold,
    I follow 'The Induction Thread'
    That set up makes the throttle linkage really easy!
    Cheers Aaron.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've seen some awfully fast "it looks like crap" in my lifetime.

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes, but I bet you have also seen looks like crap and runs like crap too....:D

Not really, I have seen some Redneck engineering that I think was pretty kool....but they are one of the few social groups in America you can still poke fun at without being called some politically correct name. They have lots of pictures of Redneck creations that are pretty "ingenuous" but pretty dumb too. I consider everything I make to be Redneck Engineering. I had another idea on the manifold. Insted of a hard to obtain thick block, a steel box could be fabbed that was thinner and lighter than a solid block. ;)

Redneck Inventions:

My own Redneck Invention: A Snapper riding mower converted to an Electric Mobility Cart that I use at the Street Rod Nationals..........
    Scooter 1.jpg

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

More often than not.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I thought it looked kinda neat-different, not run of the mill. No idea how it will perform, but I'd like to see it come to fruition.

I've done things, just to do them myself and spent more money and time in the long run, than just buying it outright at the beginning.

The sense of satisfaction that I got when it worked was worth the time and effort.
    When it didn't work, I'd spend more time and money until it did as I wanted it to, or I'd realize I didn't have the skills to pull it off and shitcan the project.

But even on the stuff that's out back in the junk pile, are learned skills that have been used since.

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not saying that people shouldn't "try" things, but along that vein they are also likely to create things and then toss em on the junk pile for various reasons. Since he has only one manifold to experiment with, he may not be able to effect a "do over" if its unsatisfactory. He also mentioned "craftsmanship" as a goal.
    If I'm understanding his design, he is going to have two carbs that are elevated above the center carb. Linkage to operate them and the center carb will be difficult. Not sure what type of air cleaner would work. Fuel would most likely tend to puddle in the tubes and end up as raw fuel in the cylinder. And it just doesn't have a "pleasing and well engineered look to it. (My apologies to Aaron) But thats just my opinion and its Aarons car.....not mine.
    My suggestion is to fabricate a steel rectangular box and insert it into the manifold just as some of the people below have done with aluminum manifolds. Once the box is welded, a little machining to make the box flat and straight along the sides gives the ability to weld it in and make it look almost like a factory design. Just blend the welds in and paint it.
    I have always thought that when I build something I want it to actually help the design function better as well as look good. Aaron has listened to me and not taken offense, and I appreciate that. Still its his car and he may see things from a different perspective from me. I'm good with that, and I like the idea that he at least listened to my opinion without taking it personally. Here are pictures from above that I'm reposting. The common theme among them is adding some type of flat box or plate to an existing manifold. I think they will look very good when installed on any car, and the owner/builder can take pride in the fact that knowledgeable enthusiasts will notice the sublime quality of the builder/fabricator .........and the general public will never know the difference.

Flat box.png
    Good One.jpg
    Two Carbs.jpeg
    The people like Aaron and many others on this site who build things with their own hands are the people I respect the most. I've done my share of "do-overs" because I was ultimately unhappy with what I built.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

I agree, but no one should put a negative spin on what someone wants to do.

You mentioned puddling fuel, well heck, how about the big folks that built those tunnel ram bombs? Then they learned.

Not that I have an ounce of skill that @RichFox has, but you don't learn near as much from success as you do from failure.

A man has to try.

39 Aaron NZ and X-cpe like this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Quick example I'm talking about....somewhere, some place...somehow, my harmonic balancer puller is missing.

I could go buy what I need, and I can afford it, but decided to make what I have laying around to work.

So I took the pulley on some 3/8ths steel, used a transfer punch, had my 3 dots. INstersected the lines, found the middle of the triangle. Drilled my contraption out, ...so I have 3 outer holes to screw 3 bolts into the balancer.

Drilled another hole in the middle of the plate.

Took a 7/16th bolt and counter sunk it.

Bolt in the crank.

My contraption over the top with 3- 3/8's bolts to the puller. Little oil on the end of my two jaw puller pulling up the plate, off come the balancer.

Sure, I spent way more time needed, but as the song goes "it didn't cost me a dime"

I mean so what if it takes him 5 years to see it through, then he see's a place for improvement?

I admire his tenacity to finish it and see the results.

39 Aaron NZ and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Actually that's a nice idea, and one I used on my son many times.......but it's not really true. We learn from our failures, but we learn more from our successes. You can make bad welds many many times and learn enough to eventually make good welds........but it's when you begin to make good welds that you learn to have confidence in what you are doing. If you have someone who trys to help you by pointing out what you may be doing wrong......that's not "putting a bad spin" on it, it's legitimately trying to help you. As you pointed out in your example above when you made the "puller" from scrap parts,.......you learned from your success.
    If on the other hand you keep doing it wrong and never learn to weld decently.......what did you learn from your mistakes?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  28. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

“I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don’t work. “

Thomas Edison

Glad Thomas didn’t follow this thread he may have said F it and just bought more candles

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

39 Aaron NZ and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For me this has always been a learning experience, If I can't weld well and want to, Learn. Maybe you need someone to show you how. But it will still be a learn by doing experience. After you know everything you can stop trying.

39 Aaron NZ and brigrat like this.
  30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A person should never be afraid of failing at something. They should never be afraid to try something (unless it can harm them). A person should never be afraid to listen to the opinions of others about what they want to do.
    In the end that person should decide how he wants to procede and then see how it works out. If he fails, then maybe he learned something. If he succeeds, then he definitely learned something.

As Frank says: I did it My Way !

X-cpe and 39 Aaron NZ like this.