Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T 5 adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GMC28, Dec 27, 2018.

1. GMC28

GMC28
    from New York
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I’m sure this has been covered a bunch of times, but I’ve spent hours trying to find a flathead ford adapter for a t 5 that can use a 1996- 2003 transmission . So far every one that I’ve looked at requires an older t 5 transmission, and I’ve found a good deal on the newer one, but not sure if it will work. I realize this model has an electric speedometer, and that’s ok. Any help at this point would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the donor vehicle for the T5 you are suggesting?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then I can explain exactly why you are having trouble.

4. nobby

nobby

if you mean the t5 tremec that comes behind a v6 chevy camaro 94 up
    they have a 26 spline input shaft at 1 1/8
    the input shafts are 9 1/4 inch long
    -don't make the same mistake I just did and read up that the tooth count is the same as the mustang 10 spline input shaft - as it is NOT, un;less my box has had its innards played with... the input shaft gear tooth count on a 94-up v6 camaro is 26 - the SAME as the clutch friction disc spline count!!!
    for sale one 10 spline 9 1/4'' long 24 tooth mustang 15 roller pocket input shaft

good news though is rock auto sell a 10.4'' 26 spline friction disc - if you search 1987 mustang manual transmission - for some strange reason they list them there...….

also the 1993 and up s10 tail WILL put the speedo output in the same place - its a world class gm output shaft - they are the same as 1994 and up s10's - the ?edis? wheel or ?tone? ring for the speedo can be simply swapped for any th350 speedo gear plus they use a th350 ouput yoke, plus a th350 trans mount of which you can get a single central pin or twin pin version

so, IF the ONLY adaptor you can find is for a gm pre 1993 t5 wider ear than ford, that takes the v8 camaro 26 spline input shaft -they are 8 3/4 inches long - a whole 1/2 inch shorter than the 94 up v6 camaro
    SO you make a 1/2 inch plate adaptor to adapt your ford eared trans to the gm aftermarked bell - until they start making the bell 1/2 inch shorter with ford mounting.
    confused?

-even more confusing is the 96 camaro v6 t5 uses a hydraulic throw out bearing
    this can ONLY be positioned where it is located stockand the bleeder needs to pierce the bell housing.

so all the listings are nearly correct - its why the gear ratios of them is odd in the t5 listings, but the input tooth is listed as similar to a mussy - i.e. If it were so the gearing would be the same on at least 4 and fifth gear!!! I am thinking it has a unique to the 26 tooth input cluster shaft

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018

5. There is a member on here, "INLINE" who manufactures T-5 adapters with the chevy and ford bolt patterns. He makes a great product and his prices are very affordable. Purchased one myself. His web site "Vintage Metal Works BlogSpot.com"

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

Cornhusker hot rod,speedway motors and vintage metal works all have adapters. Dave at vintage metal works is a big help as well as Gary at cornhusker. There’s also a fellow out of the northwest who can take a t5 tailshaft for a electric speedo and plug the opening and redrill it for a mechanical speedo
    Older t5 units with mechanical speedo are getting harder to find. I’ve used all the sources and they can help make the swap easier

7. GMC28

GMC28
    from New York
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I forgot to mention the transmission I want to purchase is for an s10 4 cylinder Chevy truck. Looking at the pictures, it appears that the bell housing can be removed.

8. GMC28

GMC28
    from New York
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

The seller also described it as a 1996-2003 NV 1500-5. S10 4 cyl. 2 wheel drive

9. GMC28

GMC28
    from New York
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

It does look like the one in gimpyshotrod photo. I think now I understand why it’s not used. Looks like it must have an extended input shaft almost the length of the bell housing.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

11. nobby

nobby

the beauty of the above is that you know straight off the hop that the clutch and stuff wants a 9 1/4 input shaft ford 10 spline = great
    so IF you go down the 'cheap junker route'
    you could 'simply' - I say that lightly...…..
    buy yourself a world class 93 up s10 t5
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-S10-CHE...KQAAOSwy2pcEq02:rk:34:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4
    375 bucks
    then pull it all apart
    fit a new input, cluster , 1-2 and 3rd
    https://www.allstategear.com/Ford-Mustang-T5-Gear-Kits-for-the-068-p/bomt5-068.htm

hmmmmmmmmm

12. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

The nv3500, if that’s what you have, had an bellhousing you couldn’t remove. If it is a nv, you’ll not likely be able to use it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not even a NV3500.

It's an NV1500.