Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Offy cross ram adapters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eh!Bob, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

Has anyone ever ran a pair of the offy cross ram adapters on a 2x4 intake ? If so how did they work , I understand they are just like tall carb spacers but I wonder if the fuel will lose to much velocity etc? Any real world trial info would be great !

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a set listed in the Ford Yblock section for some reason in E-bay...

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p:D. Not every idea is a good one.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does "Hnstray" say? "Just because you don't believe in the laws of Physics doesn't mean they don't apply to you". Case in point.

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. dan griffin

dan griffin

I put a set on a friends tired 350 with a mild cam it runs ok for what it is.He wanted the looks and it does look kind of neat.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    Like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These look better IMO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea...if you want a cross ram, get a real one. Those are just too fake.
    What's that called again..."poser..."

I ran an Offenhauser cross ram on a small Chevy for 2-1/2 or 3 years in my 56, 210 sedan. Tuned right, it ran fine, though I did fill in some of the open volume with epoxy..!

Mike

8. fortynut

fortynut

Again it would appear appearances are not receptive to the illterati. Technically, adding length to the runners (by whater means possible) adds an charge of fuel/air mix, and theoretically should add power/torque to the top end rpm power band. This is a difference of opinion based strictly on appearances (form), and not on function. Sorry for the negative opinion against those who think it's ugly but I think it would work better than simple two port four barrels for the purpose the longer runners are intended --- top end power. Only real world tezting, of course, on a side by side test on a mule motor on a Dyno will give you a true sense of the difference between the two, and a test of the manifold with and without the add on will give the true worth of the bolt on runners. Science always is the best arbiter between two opinions. Form and function are not going to be a good estimate on how well something performs, nor can you decide if the money issue of adding to an item in your possession is better than buying the one that is purpose built. Get a grip on criticai thinking based on the Scientific method and your hot rodding experience will be more objective. Thanks for listening. Carl

9. fortynut

fortynut

Again it would appear appearances are not receptive to the illterati. Technically, adding length to the runners (by whater means possible) adds an extra charge of fuel/air mix, and theoretically should add power/torque to the top end rpm power band. This is a difference of opinion based strictly on appearances (form), and not on function. Sorry for the negative opinion against those who think it's ugly but I think it would work better than simple two port four barrels for the purpose the longer runners are intended --- top end power. Only real world testing, of course, on a side by side test on a mule motor on a Dyno will give you a true sense of the difference between the two, and a test of the manifold with and without the add on will give the true worth of the bolt on runners. Science always is the best arbiter between two opinions. Form and function are not going to be a good estimate on how well something performs, nor can you decide if the money issue of adding to an item in your possession is better than buying the one that is purpose built. Get a grip on critical thinking based on the Scientific method and your hot rodding experience will be more objective and cetainly more fun in knowing what the real issues are. Thanks for listening. Carl

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

A cross ram adds runner lenght the adapter add plenum size a motor see's them diferent

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

These runners were the brain child of Ollie Morris and had as much to do with manufacturing as to the performance aspects of the parts. This was an inexpensive way to produce a cross ram intake and offered buyers the opportunity to transfer parts from one engine to another. Morris was a genius when it involved tweeting intakes with accessories.

13. catdad49

catdad49

How about this one all you Hemi Heads! 56 Hemi 2.jpg 56 Hemi.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Illiterati. Great word. Your post would have been more effective had you spelled it correctly.

15. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

thanks guys , but has anyone actually drove a car with this kind of set up? if so how did it work?

16. I have had a 318 Poly in my Oz 1940 Dodge since 1973, around 1975 I bought a 57/58 DV800 twin 4 factory cast iron intake with the WCFBs...........being young and stupid I rebuilt the carbs and without any real knowledge of tuning the carbs proceeded to remove my nose hair, eyebrows and eyelashes due to the backfires etc, I also went thru 2 fire extinguishers.........due to the close fitting of the WCFBs it was not possible to fit Holleys onto the twin 4 intake..........what to do?..............I then heard about the Offy Cross Ram Adaptors and obtained a pair with a pair of 600 Holleys.........the Poly had a Malloy YL twin point dissy, a 35/75 cam and a Hi stall convertor, I eventually was able to get the idle down to around 8-900rpm, however driving the car was an interesting experience, nothing really happened till about 2800-3000 rpm then all hell broke loose..........lol.............even with the Hi stall converter it was a pig to drive and remember I was 21 and knew diddley squat about carbys and tuning........I perservered with it for about 12 months and found that Weiand made an alloy single 4 intake so replaced the intake setup with the Weiand intake and one 600 Holley which it still has...........the attached pic of the twin 4s on the Offy adaptors are the only pic I have......the Poly looks like the 3rd pic now............so yep I HAVE driven a car with this setup.......I'd suggest that it would be fine with a manual trans and with what I know now maybe even I'd have another go at it.........lol.....but sold the intake and adaptors years ago...........Andy Douglas

Attached Files: