Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Model T Coupe Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Currently, I have a round aluminum fuel tank on my '27 Coupe behind the seat which I'm leery about doing. I am looking to move it or possibly go a different route for a fuel tank.

I want to save as much space as possible for trunk area storage so I might need to cut into the trunk floor to place one. Not sure, yet, if I need to go this route. I have thought about mounting something flat or a square fuel tank on to the floor.

The Moon tanks mounted on the front end are too small for my driving distances.

I would really like to see pictures of fuel tanks in anything or any ideas? My pictures are about 3 years old.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Have a look at the gas tank for a 1967 MG Midget. Small, 28 X 15 by 8 inches . May be able to mount under the floor, behind the rear end. Originally bolted to the MG floor from the bottom. I thought it may work for me, but required modifications.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I can ever see how a round tank would work all that well just the shape makes it space inefficient.
    I have a T coupe which I am accumulating parts for and will build it later.
    I plan to use one of these aluminum tanks from ebay, at that price they are pretty hard to beat, hold 17 gallons and can be stood vertical. His price includes free shipping which is just so cheap...
    When I purchased mine there were many more size choices to ensure a good fit.
    Maybe by contacting the seller he may have other sizes.
    By all means if you can stash a tank under the car that is always better but I would suggest my solution as a 2nd option.

Search eBay - 17-gallon aluminum fuel cell gas tank+ level sender Anti-slosh foam Hot Rod

4. Blake 27

Blake 27

You didn't say if you are running fenders.
    I ran two 71/2 gal stainless tanks in my full fendered T DSC06117.JPG DSC08751-001.JPG DSC08762.JPG
    The cross braces above the tanks fit under the body braces.
    Some guys run saddle tanks behind the splash aprons.

Blues4U, GuyW, AndersF and 1 other person like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. AndersF

AndersF

I going to use a Mazda E-2000 tank and mount where you have your.
    Then build a firewall to the coupe that i can remove to be able to
    mount and service the tank. Takes about 15 gallon.
    Dont remember the exact measurements but is around 12 x 12 x 33
    Edit: 11,5 x 11,5 x 35

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  7. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

I've got a 48 F1 tank in mine (T coupe)it just and I mean just fits about a 1/4 clearance each side on the bottom edges, and around 16 gallon I think, I'm heading home tommorrow and I'll take some pics and pm them if you like

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0015.JPG
    This is the tank in the trunk of my '26 T coupe. I made a bulkhead between cab and trunk. I built this tank because I couldn't find a tank that left enough space in the trunk for junk. This tank is 11"x7"x40". Holds about 14 gallons.

9. This was the fuel cell I had made for my Model "T" Coupe.

Fuell cell.JPG New Petrol tank.JPG

Flathead Dave, fiftyv8 and AndersF like this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, that is what I suggested in Post #3
    For the cost of $148.40 including shipping it would have to be a good deal.
    I've purchased two of these type of tanks in the past.

12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For $148 I think we know where they're made.
    Not being a wiseass, honest question: How does Chinese 5051 aluminum stand up to ethanol in gas?
    We know what ethanol can do to zinc and aluminum carbs.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The reaction of aluminum and ethanol forms aluminum triethoxide, A l ( O C X 2 H X 5 ) X 3 , but the reaction is fairly slow at room temperature, particularly if the aluminum is anodized.

Aluminum is perfectly fine to store gasoline in - the trouble is sealing the bottle. ... You can experiment and soak the cap in gasoline for a few days to see if it causes any damage, or if you can find an aluminum bottle/can which has a fully aluminum construction, that may suffice.
    In the case of aluminum tanks, aluminum is a highly conductive metal that relies on an oxide layer for its corrosion protection properties. Low levels of ethanol, such as E10 (10%), are usually not a problem in aluminum tanks because the oxide layer provides a good measure of protection.

The second mechanism that can occurs with the increased use of ethanol based fuel in aluminum tanks is galvanic corrosion. Gasoline fuel is not conductive, but the presence of ethanol or ethanol and water will conduct electricity. ... Since the phalates are in solution they are able to pass through the fuel line filters.

So if you have any concerns it would seem that by rubber mounting your tank and having rubber flexible inlet and outlet provisions, not unlike what I and others have done with aluminum radiators, there should be little or no affect.

Myth busted...

AndersF and 28 Ford PU like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Originally, I was going to place mine behind the seat with a bulkhead but the bulkhead would have to slant towards the seat due to the bulging of the round tank. 10"x10"x36", unless I moved the round tank rearward which would take away more room for trunk space.
    I think that I would rather go with a square tank for that reason.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I was going to use a Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker gas tank because I had one and it fit back there, but then found a nice fabricated one for free with more capacity.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flathead Dave likes this.
  16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

17. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a much more thorough answer than I was expecting, thanks. Your chemistry knowledge is much greater that mine.
    I have seen an automotive carb and a couple small engine carbs filled with fuzzy white corrosion, presumably from sitting for a season or two full of gas containing ethanol. I have also seen old rubber fuel line turned to goo, also presumably from ethanol.
    Rubber mounting a gas tank is a good idea for a few reasons. Not providing a ground path would help prevent galvanic corrosion, but a gas gauge sender won't work without a ground. Insulating a sender from the tank might take some ingenuity.

GuyW likes this.
  18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Good point on the gas gauge, but I guess with the wire size being so small any anodic reaction would be real slow.
    It seems that ethanol in fuel gives the gas more opportunity to set up that sacrificial corrosion thing happening.

Your original point was a good one and I did not come up with that information single handedly.
    Most was derived from some US marine study that had serious concern regarding gas tank issues in boats and other water craft.
    I figure if they were satisfied, then things should be OK since gas leaking into the bilge of a boat would be a real concern.

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

I got off my butt and went and took a picture. This freebie came from a AD series Chev pickup basketcase that was purchased for just the bed. IMG_1152.JPG

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Do you have room underneath, like this?
    20180831_174846.jpg 20180831_174926.jpg

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sure don't. My frame doesn't allow for it. I'm using a 28 frame with no rise. I could do it but it would hang dangerously low.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

You mite look at an early Falcon tank they were not very deep and the top side of the tank was the trunk floor

Flathead Dave likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG My tank measures 12.5"x12.5"x24" which gives me 16 gallon capacity. The bulkhead slopes about the same angle as the seat. It is made from fiberglass sheeting that I got from Home Depot as is the package tray. Didn't bother trying to figure out the angle between the two - just used a piano type hinge that I had. The package tray is attached with my shoulder harness anchors to 7/16" fine nuts welded to the vertical supports that curve along the sides of the trunk lid. The seat belt inertia reels are attached to these points and the floor on a structure I made from 2" strap. The white upholstery board and the one advertising a radio station on the quarter panel are slide-in ads found on city busses. They work well and were free. Seat belt assemblies are left over Miata stuff. The gas cap is a Cobra kit car piece from Factory Five.

AndersF likes this.