Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Do you need special parking in order to drive your hot rod somewhere? If I could swing it I would park anywhere there was an open spot just to watch the racing. I’ll park my junk anywhere though, they are cars to me.

Just checked it’s 3036km one way from my house...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. I originally didn't want to have any arranged parking but do to the possible parking issues we will have two arranged spots. the parking spots for the original cars are set up so its easy for the fans to see them and converse with the owners. with how busy its going to be we don't want these special cars lost in the crowd. for the nostalgia cars it will be easier to communicate with each other when its our turn to run if they are parked together. The pa system is not that loud there. the guys that show up here are racers not power parkers if that's what you are implying.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  3. Here is the hotel info Tyler sent me.

Hampton Inn
    3810 Linwood Dr.
    Paragould Arkansas
    1-870-565-1010

Holiday Inn Express
    3502 Linwood Dr.
    Paragould, Arkansas
    1-870-236-9999

Super 8
    3009 Linwood Dr.
    Paragould Arkansas
    1-870-565-9720

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  4. hubnut George used to say the spectators pays the way here. I heard that quote several times. tyler feels the same way so come on down. we will make room for everyone. it might get a little cozy but who cares. it will be fun.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Brian
    Where do you want us to send the pics, will it work to post here?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Made room reservations- ready to watch the action!
    I also ordered a perfect weather forecast..........

racer-x, loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  8. Good I'm glad the hotel info was helpful. I contacted John grinwald the owner of the gold digger altered wheelbase dodge. He races with the nostalgic super stockers. I told him about the event. His group is racing Saturday at sikeston the night before our event. He in turn talked to rich the head of their group. It looks like they want to join the fun. The group has more than 30 members running cars from 62-66. If you have never seen their show you are in for a real treat. Their cars all run hard. The action is out standing.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Good point Fargo lol.

Thanks Racer. No power parkers here, just hot rod and custom guys. I've got it on my calendar!

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  10. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

9465 miles for me one way! Don't think I'll make it. DAMN. Have fun guys, should be a blast!

loudbang likes this.
  11. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

So is this turning into a 3 day deal? If we're welcome to run Friday and Sunday why don't we get track access on Saturday as well? Not gonna do
    Much in sikeston. Superstock Boys are running but they have a bracket schedule Saturday the 18th too. Sounds like a camaro nova traffic jam

Tickety Boo and Gammz like this.
  12. The plan for 2020 is a three day event if 2019 has enough of a turn out. Track owners are always cautious on new events. To block out a whole weekend on a maybe they will show up is a tough sell. We have to make a good impression this year. This is a small family run track. They dont have the staff for three days. They would have to hire extra help. They have only recently started to run Friday nights. If you are looking for something to do Saturday there is the car show I mentioned previously. There are other small tracks in the surrounding area to hit. I-57; Sikeston; Dyersberg are a few. That's what I plan on doing. You can show up Friday at George Ray's and race that night. Camping on Saturday is allowed. Again the focus is a good turn out this year. If it's good and it's certainly looking that way we will have a three day event at the coolest track in the country to ourselves. Remember the meltdown wasn't given byron for a full weekend on their first year. Help spread the word.

13. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

So I guess everyone should get an idea what they plan to do for Friday and Saturday. Some of us are leaders some are followers. I'm the latter. Btw that's how I'm used to racing ... following...

14. Looks like these are all close together. I'm hoping for a Mokan kind of party atmosphere the night before.

15. Me to. I will have a jar or two of shine to get it into high gear. There is nothing wrong with supporting the local economy if you dont bring your own.
    My home town track is great lakes dragaway in union grove wi. The tracks owner was Broadway Bob Metzler. The shows that he put on were a full blown three ring circus. The first time I raced at another track I was asking guys were are the jets; kite cycle; wheelstanders etc. The parties were legendary going until the next morning. That's what I grew up on. I hope George Ray's turns into a fun day of racing with a good party before or after the race. The track certainly has the atmosphere to make it happen. Mixing in the locals who are a lot of fun could really set it off.

16. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I wonder what parking accommodations the local hotels have. My rigs not very parking friendly.

17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Maybe you should downsize to a single axle trailer or better yet a tow bar lol on second thought you might as well just bring a roll back wrecker so you can drag that broken ford home lmao Seriously man I hope you make it down it will be a great time

rocketsled59 and loudbang like this.
  18. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I got a crew cab truck now. 4' longer than what I had. I can haul enough people with me to push the ford back in the trailer when I break it again!!

Tickety Boo, racer-x and Gammz like this.
  19. you can always drop the trailer at the track and use the truck to run back and fourth.

rocketsled59 and loudbang like this.
  20. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

IMG_3104.JPG Its on my Calendar Brian.

21. Patrick send me that pic. I will try to get it on the flyer. patricks comp coupe is a perfect example of what a comp coupe should be. its powered by a blown sbc. the paint job is outstanding. its loud; fast and puts on a great show. its been featured in several national magazines over the years. to see this car do its thing at George Rays would be worth the price to get in all by itself.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    rocketsled59 likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

23. John grinwald is coming with the gold digger altered wheelbase dodge. This injected hemi car has gone 8.5 in the quarter mile at 150 mph. The car was originally chuckys cousins car. It was a regular at George Ray's being from the area. I bought the car around 2002 to use as a possible back up car if I ever destroyed mine. I then sold it to John who altered the wheelbase and turned it into a show quality top performer. He runs with the nostalgia super stockers. This car is typical of the quality the group will bring to the show
    IMG_2319.jpg

24. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

That's a bad hombre. He has several badass cars.

25. He is bringing two.

rocketsled59 likes this.
  26. Big news big news. I talked to Tyler this evening about the event. I told him more people would come if it was a three day event. I explained several reasons why this would be the way to go. He was all ears. He said the response so far has been so big he is going all in. Three big days. You can show up whenever you want. Extra spectator parking is being secured at a business across the street. He is hiring in local police to help with traffic. He doesn't want to exclude his local racer base so we came up with a plan to accommodate everyone.

Test and tune Friday night.

Big money all run Saturday with a big and little tire race. Substantially increased purse pay outs in all classes. Local racers with newer cars will join us. You can run for fun or enter the money program. Let's show them what we got.

Sunday is limited to pre 1970.

You can race your car all three days. Tyler will make up weekend pass wrist bands.

The question came up about increasing the spectator fee. I said keep it the way George would have done it. The admission charge remains the same 10 dollars. The Sunday race fee will remain 10 dollars. The big money saturday
    race might go up a little.

We feel it's a win win for everyone. Our group gets three days to race. This will hopefully get guys who live farther out to make the drive. If there is bad weather one day the event wont be a total loss. If you have to work on Monday you still have plenty of time to make passes. The locals who see our cars on Friday and Saturday will come back Sunday for the nostalgia only show.
    Running the event this way will free up valuable pit space on Sunday by not having the newer cars on site. It will also give us more track time to make passes. We wont be rushed taking pictures or doing big rosin burnouts. The same index program that has been run every Sunday since 1961 will remain the same. You will be racing like the way it was truly done back in the day.
    This is becoming bigger than either of us imagined. We will continue to make changes based on feed back so keep it coming. We have the chance to mold this into what suites us best.
    Dont be left out you are not going to want to miss this.

27. Keep in mind space anywhere will be at a premium. This is a small place so unless you have a physical disability please leave the pit bikes and golf carts at home. Pit vehicles that are towing cars to the line that need it are welcome.

rocketsled59 likes this.
  28. atch

atch

I've been watching this since it first started.

I'm planning to be there in Clarence (see avatar, which was taken at the very first H.A.M.B. Drags). He will be wearing new paint/wheels/tires by then. I realize that no one is going to want to see him run when there are really fast cars there, but I'd like to make at least one pass sometime during the weekend. The best so far is just under 17 seconds in the quarter at MoKan. It'll be kind of boring to the spectators if/when I run but I'll get a kick out of it and have a really cool memory. Are you going to let something this slow run?

rocketsled59 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What is " the same index program " ?

rocketsled59 likes this.
  30. Run as fast or slow as you want just have fun.
    The indexes are run on the half second. The track is eighth mile

5.0 is the fastest class
    Then 5.5 etc.
    Who ever gets to the stripe first wins. If you go too fast you loose. If you both go too fast you both loose.
    Everything is run heads up.

rocketsled59 and Nicholas Coe like this.