Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Went to a hotter plug and topped the trans fluid off. Looking for a long fall cruising season
    6C0E9502-C082-4CDF-898F-8E7E7F00C4A0.jpeg
    Thinking about a different air filter set up that takes an off the shelf filter but so many look huge when on the engine. I’m sure I’ll trip across something

2. Stogy and Tim like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got some chilly driving in yesterday. Car seems to love the sub freezing air.

Gonna start on the electric wipers and the usb charger for the phones ect this week:) A39D259B-D0E7-4A53-BD57-02A4B2E4B4FD.jpeg

4. Really looks great with the new wheels dood!

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  5. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Hope your electric wiper install goes better than mine did! I got mine from Bob Drake. The cowl vent bracket interfered with the cowl vent operation, so I had to trim it. I also needed to take the cover off the motor and reposition the gears so the wipers would park and sweep correctly. Certainly not a bolt-in!

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I remember seeing that! I’ll keep
    You posted I’m planing on working on it Wednesday :)

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hadnt checked back in on this in a while, Your car really looks slick, I like it a lot!:cool:

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man, I’m always picking away at it and trying to get miles in on it. Always tweaking something.

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

198356E7-A1B2-4F1A-9933-9CAF52C1336C.jpeg 36990CC5-6EF4-489B-8808-878560193FD4.jpeg BD456EFE-5B88-4E6A-A26C-10EDC29E8945.jpeg 9C9E6E32-745F-4462-ACBD-C459FBECA62C.jpeg Well I got into the 46 today. It took me about 3 hours to get the old vacuum set up out. Mainly fighting two bolts with slotted heads.

Snapped one off flush and the other just fought me for a couple hours a dozens of combinations of tools.

It’s the unit that speedway sells for a 46. It’s been sitting on my shelf for a year, probably closer to two actually.

I was surprised when I opened it to see how beefy it was, it’s got a nice hammer tone finish on it, and that it was completely wired to the switch and wrapped right out of the box.

Plug it to power after it’s mounted and it’s done!

It came with instructions to either add it to the existing brackets or use the supplied brackets to thencowl lip if yours doesn’t have brackets.

After I snapped the bolt off in the caged nut in the bracket- see photo with screw driver pointing st it.

I realized I was going to have to use the supplies brackets. Thankfully existing holes line right up and land it perfectly. I think you could use the stock bracket but you’d have to notch the center of it to clear everything.

I took my time and mocked everything up a few different times before I tightened anything down because they were some hard to get to bolts and I didn’t want to do it over.

The photo with the zip ties was my idea of making sure the brackets lined up with the old one. Figured I wanted them as close as possible before I hefted that sucker up there to bolt on.

I used that fancy magnetic cuff I got for Christmas after dropping bolts on my face for the first two hours. Super handy to have in this sort of project.

Two things to add real quick, this info will NOT clear the stock radio I’m told by speedway.

It doesn’t seem any bigger on that side to me so maybe radio cars have different brackets?

I know had I no taken the radio delete panel off to access bolts I’d never have gotten that thing in there.

The ideal time to do this would have been when you have the dash off.

On that note I also see no way the supplied switch will fit in the opening in the windshield frame if that matters to you.

I’m thinking about sticking an old glass jewel with a prong fitting in there maybe.

I’ll make sure to take some photos when I finish up. So far I need to attach the linkage, mount the switch and add power before wrapping my beat to shit stock wiper arms in paper towels and tape so I can get them clocked.

Gotta get an order into macs for some new stuff but they always seem to take so long to deliver that I’ve put it off for.... a couple years lol.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

[QUOTE="Tim, post: 12883221, member:

It’s the unit that speedway sells for a 46. It’s been sitting on my shelf for a year, probably closer to two actually.[/QUOTE]

Yup, looks just like the one I got from Bob Drake

On that note I also see no way the supplied switch will fit in the opening in the windshield frame if that matters to you.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I couldn't figure out a way to get the switch to fit in the original location. Even bought a shaft extension from Newport Engineering, but still couldn't figure it out.

I’m thinking about sticking an old glass jewel with a prong fitting in there maybe.[/QUOTE]

I put a replacement switch in the original hole just for looks. I'm working to put the wiper switch where the throttle handle would have been and use the T knob.

I’ll make sure to take some photos when I finish up. So far I need to attach the linkage, mount the switch and add power before wrapping my beat to shit stock wiper arms in paper towels and tape so I can get them clocked.

Gotta get an order into macs for some new stuff but they always seem to take so long to deliver that I’ve put it off for.... a couple years lol.[/QUOTE]

I bought replacement wiper assemblies from Bob Drake. Seemed to work fine.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ll give drake a look for the parts and pieces as well when I get around to it then :)

I didn’t have to cut anything, have plenty of room and it all seems to line up perfectly.

I actually removed the stock switch because I was worried it might be in the way but I now see no reason why it couldn’t stay put for looks.. I partially removed it playing with the idea of putting the old vacuum. set up on the model A.

The cowl vent and it’s mech are totally clear of any interference. They supplied a little leg so if you wanted to brace the unit to the cowl vent bracing you could but it’s so far away it doesn’t reach. Feels plenty sturdy so I’m not worried about it.

I did open and close the vent a few times while putting it in to make sure it clears. I keep it shut 99.99% of the time though. Honestly the reason I even opened it was at first to check if I could, and the. Because I couldn’t get my big fat hands in there with wrenches with it shut.

@Ritzy1 does your car have a radio? Any photos of the install? Just curious is all

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

@Ritzy1 does your car have a radio? Any photos of the install? Just curious is all[/QUOTE]

Just got a radio, amp and speakers as a Christmas present. I know I'm a bit premature even thinking of a radio. My plan is to cut a hole in the radio delete plate and install it there. I'm thinking I'll make some aluminum brackets and hang the amp where the original speaker would have been mounted. We'll see.

Tim likes this.
  13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

its come a long way in 7 years, just read through, only took me 4.5 hrs lol sweet car!

Tim likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man! It’s got a ways to go but it’s getting there. This thread has been good when I feel like I’m not getting anywhere to go back and look at the first photos!

Got a few things I’m working on the next few weeks hopefully I’ll have some updates :)

oliver westlund, brEad and Roothawg like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Random bits and pieces

The wipers hit a road block when I found my wiper towers seized solid, twisted one in half super easy. I’m going to use a set up the old ford store carries that is new towers, linkage and I think it actually mounts the motor to it as well. I’ll post on that this spring when I come up with the cash to buy it and install. 77A148C7-86E8-4959-9630-57ACA521CE24.jpeg farting around the garage I’ve had these little dark red honey comb reflectors for a while. They were on a model T mud flap as far as I could figure.

They were gifted to me with some other stuff. I tried them on the top license plate holes a while back and hated them. Way to big.

Popped into my head to try them on the bottom and with the new pinstripes etc I don’t hate em. Still thinking it over. Worse case I runnthem for a month or two and stick them back on the shelf

7C7AB857-4B5C-4AA9-9DE5-4EDBF134DEDB.jpeg A6873759-B212-472D-9AF1-789D149BFD22.jpeg I did stick one in the dash where the wiper switch used to be and I kinda dig it there. A36296B3-B048-4D71-AEE1-6AA2920EEFBA.jpeg Photo makes the red look brighter but the tail light lenses is the dark glass and the jewels match almost dead on.

Working on the quarter panel upholstery today. Hopefully I’ll have an update on that front soonish :)

Stogy and brEad like this.
  16. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi from Down Under,
    I'm using the British LUCAS 14W wiper system in my '46 Tudor, it was originally used in a lot of the UK cars through the 60's & 70's.
    I got the 110° drive gear and the 32 tooth wheel boxes (spindles), the spindle spacers need some minor angle adjustment and the motor can be mounted anywhere convenient so long as it's within the 39" maximum bundy tube length. The LUCAS wiper tower (spindle) has the same serration as Ford so no need for any wiper arm change-over.
    They are reproduced now and custom packages are readily available, below is a link to one of the suppliers.
    https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/wiper-system--two-wheel-box/

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Kinda geeking out over how great these kick panels came out for the 46 Still need to mount them, but I mocked them up and I’m floored :) now all that’s left is seats and carpet :)
    33FC1491-8F27-45DE-A1FD-BB68E3873B56.jpeg

We got the quarters in a few weeks ago but it’s damn near impossible to get a good shot of them installed in the garage.hopefully spring is here and I’ll get a good shot of everything.

chryslerfan55, brEad, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  18. redzula

redzula

Look good bud. Also saw one of your recents in IG and forgot you got the chrome steelies mounted those look killer too. What the plan for the seat. Kinda like the Mexican blanket look maybe that as actual upholstery

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Saving some penny’s for the Sid Chavers DVD’s before we go any further on the seats. Got the back all apart, cleaned and painted, springs tied together, burlap attached over that and some high density foam cut for the back and bottom of the rear seat.

Was just waiting to drape the seat to make patterns when we found out about the dvds and figured it would be worth waiting because we’ll likely learn something that saves us time and gives us better results.

We both have backgrounds in textiles so we aren’t easily intimidated by the task :) we’ve got the fabric and design figured out, just want the dvds and need the time to do it.

In my mind it kinda feels like a stock ish interior for a mid 50’s car. Definitely fancier than a stock 40’s car but not really “hot rod/kustom” looking.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and brEad like this.
  20. I can't remember what brand wiper motor I used but it did say I can't use the stock radio. Check out my '41 truck or panel for radio/speakers. They both sound great and are hidden pretty well, also I made a usb charger bracket for under the dash.

21. I forgot to add that a friend on here put an older am/fm aftermarket radio (older as in with knobs and push buttons) inside his stock radio case on his '50 Merc. Works good with the stock speaker but not high power by any means.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

All good ideas. I ran a blue tooth speaker for a couple days. It was plenty loud enough but I didn’t really like hearing the radio and not the car so I took it out

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  23. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

This thread has helped me get through my front end, thanks!
    I have it in my favorites for reference, lol.
    I just picked up a funky 47 in Salina Kansas a few months back and have been going through the mechanicals. I'm still waiting on the last few parts to start back together with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool man! That dash is bananas! If you’ve got any questions give me a hollar :)

chryslerfan55, Sod Buster and Stogy like this.
  25. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

Yeah, it is a little wild inside, the interior was customized in 1968, candy apple red then striped with a torch and clear coated.
    I will.
    You have been a lot of help as is, kind of like watching you going over the rapids first type of thing, lol.

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. topher5150

topher5150

did you say which wiper kit that you used?

27. The trim rings even match.....that's wild.

28. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

I hit the centers with some black Plasti-Dip to tone them down a bit, lol.
    The ash tray handles and hood pull are pistons.
    [​IMG]

The left hand shift with Toad shift knob is also a little different.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Tim, brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I used the one from speedway, which is also one that Macs sells. I’m going to end up swapping to the super towers and brackets that Macs and the old ford store carry for this motor when I get some funds. My towers and everything are trash :/

29B91AC8-17EA-4120-8933-332C19833047.jpeg Not a ton going on right now, I wet sanded and buffed the drivers side of the roof before the kcps run but need to re do most of it.

I accidentally sanded with 460 and burnt threw a lot of weird paint imperfections into primer and then tried to fix it with 2000. Buffed it and it looked good for a week and now it’s scuffed looking. Probably just need to have polished it but I’m going to hit it with some 2000 and re buff it and polish. Then move onto the passenger side. I never bothered doing the roof before because I couldn’t reach it but it’s been bugging me the last year and the car gets lower every winter so I went after it

Landed on using the lokar stuff to run the E brake to my stock handle as well but again havnt ordered anything.

Trying to find time to re do the drivers side kingpin bushing. And something wasn’t quite right and it’s already lose.

Other than that chipping away at interior stuff, greasing everything and driving it for the most part. Got a line on some early vette valve covers as well to replace those wore out stamped covers that won’t hold a seal.

Nothing to exciting. Here’s some throw back photos while I’m looking at them 9D5FEB0D-D889-4820-BD4C-238B7BB9B32F.jpeg roughly two years ago
    1A5240BF-2E12-4377-9EF8-99FB40C5A526.jpeg 63DA4668-CD48-4427-93A3-9FB6DB01AD4D.jpeg Roughly 7 years ago

brEad, Sod Buster, Ritzy1 and 2 others like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That shifter is awesome! I’ve got mine moved to the left as well :)

chryslerfan55 and Sod Buster like this.