Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Am I being too picky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 24, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I done a 2wd conversion on the Bronco since it had issues with the T case or front dif and had big plans on lowering which would have needed a C notch in the frame but that stopped the progress,tired of writing the checks for tags and insurance so I want to get rid of the Bronco and F100 and take the 4 door and a 2 door and make one and then I can take the Sunliner off the road and finish it and relax for awhile then make some more upgrades on the 37.

2. Restoration Specialties has a lot of HTF clips too, Jeff is the guy to talk to there. A '49 Pontiac is a rare duck to find trim parts for. I thought a '59 Ford was tough but I was able to find it all. These days, I tend to hit the easy button on new projects. So something less obscure and you will be better off... keep looking.

belair likes this.
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Rough sketch of your 2 door conversion:)
    upload_2018-12-26_11-41-16.png

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pontiacs. Hmm. 'Tin Indians' were what they were called in Santa Clara in '58, and were so named: Side fenders of '49-'57 Pontiacs had "Tin Indian # 1" thru "Tin Indian # 19", seen most of 'em driving around...

My pal Bobby Souza had a beautiful '53 Two dr. hardtop, Azure blue top, cream body. Car was near perfect...but the engine developed a knock, threw a rod through the block.
    Pontiac straight 8, Friday afternoon I helped Bobby remove engine and automatic transmission...Saturday morning brought the '54 Olds engine and hydro home from Tex's Auto wreckers. Coolest thing I ever saw...Soap and water washed the frame, from the oil spill...Olds and hydro sat right in the trans mount...then, the engine sat in a factory drilled engine mount, with the rear engine side mounts...all bolting right up.
    It was a long way from the Olds fan to the radiator, but Bobby used a 4" spacer, later a shroud. Point is: Pontiac got an Olds V8 on Saturday, ran on Sunday!
    ...A match made in Souza Heaven! I welded up the pipes...
    Bobby did NOT join the 'fender club' of 'Tin Indians'. (I always thought it was cool, though...)

pitman likes this.
  5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been thinking about doing that if nothing comes along,I might try finding doors and quarter panels.

6. Yep, HRP is correct, you can install nearly all '40s/'50s/'60s side trim with these clips. They may not be identical to OEM, but will work in most cases. The two major exceptions seem to be some window trim and rocker panel trim on some cars.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

May be easier to convert your mind to liking 4 doors better instead:D The black 4 door detective car is a sinister look... also any 4 door with a v8 and duals rumbling a sweet tune out the back, looks better too:cool:
    [​IMG]

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might stay with a 4 door if I could find a nicer body,for me it would be easier to just take the drivetrain out of mine and put it in a nicer body then to fix what I have. It needs lower quarters,trunk floor and the roof straightened out and I would rather do mechanical then body work.

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Your time is valuable, and it'll cost you three times what you think it will in time and money to put that basket case back together. Be picky. Hell, buy a restored one.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I had Powerball money I would buy one that is done but I do not so looking for that deal I can not pass up.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't be in a hurry and keep looking around. Those Early to mid 60's Galaxies pop up on Craigslist all the time. You might have to drive down here to AL, GA, or MS to find a solid one, but they are out there. 500 miles for the right car could put you years ahead.....

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not going to buy one from up around here,the salt kills them.

13. I would take a '65 or '66 4-door Ford in a flash... just let me know where I can find one...

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I also been thinking about a 4 door hard top.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ahhh The old take it all apart, lose stuff, shitty primer job then lose interest kinda guys fuck up more old car projects then anyone.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chili Phil likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If you are talkin 65 4 door hardtop, I like yours better just because I like your bigger back glass and top better
    upload_2018-12-27_21-58-35.jpeg
    [​IMG]

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have all the parts to fix the rust on my 4 door but can not get motivated to start,I could have the drivetrain transfered into a better body much quicker.

18. HA! I was being picky back in Dec. 2018 and it paid off! I wanted a 1950 Pontiac coupe and I got one.
    I was driving my trusty 34 ford coupe down the road one day in November [2020] and I saw it sitting on a trailer with for sale sign in the window. Turns out I knew the owner and after a little 'back and forth' it was trailered to my home garage. It's an original 40,000 mile virgin....straight 8 with the hydramatic trans. Still has it's original bronze paint with a lot of lacquer checked spots.
    See? Being picky means you either don't get it at all or you get exactly what you want. 50pont12_2020.jpg 50pontiacdash (2).jpg

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Youre gonna spend a lot of time and effort on whatever project you get. Make sure you like it. Dont be in a rush and take on someone elses mess.