Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Valve Covers Big Block Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zz29, Nov 20, 2018.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My hero!

You have semi-big balls for using HF, and huge ones for loving it here.

I'm only in the semi bracket.

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'm not a big fan of painting aluminum valve covers. So I'm with a couple of guys on here that are saying why paint them. If you do take your valve covers off the heads, make sure you put some shop rags around the holes the rods go down into the engine block. Any cork gasket material can possibly screw up your engine. After scraping off your old gasket(presuming it is cork, and not a rubber gasket) vacuuming along the edge to suck up any small pieces is good. Just stay away from the shop rags or you'll suck them up also. Good luck. Welcome to the world of rodding.

3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had the black powder coat taken off of my BBC M/T valve covers. I like the plain look.

4. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I would replace the wire ties on your plug wires with divided holders. You could get cross firing with the setup you have.

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yep, I think most people tend to over tighen them.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

To remove valve cover 1st remove bolts pour one tablespoon lacquer thinner in oil fill cap or pcv hole and heat cover with torch. Isn't this kind of like to get light turn on switch.