Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Cadillac fuel sending unit fix.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbrown7713, Dec 24, 2018.

1. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

The 37 Cad. fuel sending unit was shot, so I got a 55 Chevy sending unit and removed the float mechanism and installed it on the 37's pickup and unit. The angle of the float portion was changed about 30 degrees and made it perfect for the empty-full position. I drilled a hole in the top seal portion and mounted the electrical pickup, should work well, here are some pictures. I am almost sure that the Caddy gauge is also bad and I will be replacing the gauge with a 0 to 30 ohm late gauge, hopefully to make the gauge look stock and will be doing that transition as soon as I get the gauge, I will let you know, Bob. IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG

David Gersic and F&J like this.
  2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Will the unit work on the original 6 volt positive ground,i have a 37 60 series too,the guages are super hard to find,mine doesnt work either,want to try something like this too,let us know if it works out.I am electrically challenged when it comes to volts and ohms,but would love to know more about your setup. Harvey

3. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

1955 1956 1957 CHEVROLET PASSENGER CAR FUEL TANK SENDING UNIT 0-30 OHM 3/8" NEW
    on Ebay.
    This is the sending unit that I bought. I applied 6 vdc to it and moved the float and it measured 0 to 30 ohms, so no problem. If you don't have the original 37 sending unit, you can make this one work without changing it over to the old one. You just have to bend the float arm and to me was very hard to bend and didn't want to mess it up, so I mounted it to the 37, drilled a 3/8ths inch hole in the top and reinstalled the electrical connection. You might find a better sending unit for the purpose, just as long as it 0-30 ohms. I bought a late fuel gauge also 0-30 ohms and will try to retrofit the new gauge into the old one and will let you know how that comes out. On the ends of the new float electrical rheostat, the metal is very hard, so had to grind slots for the bolts to fit on to the old 37 pickup. The 37 metal was easy to drill. I used an existing hole on the 37, so only had to drill one hole for the new float and one hole for the positive wire in the top. Bob.

F&J likes this.