Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And the fun begins.. 30 Studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. I know I have posted a few pics of the MESS I have to start with.

Just got my Frame today YEE HAA.. looks good Model A frame 8" Z in the back 4" swoop in front.. Need to get rear suspension stuff now. Was thinking 4 link but already set up for a ladder bar style.. Have a F150 9 inch that I will be using. Collecting parts thru out the years is helping in this Build to help keep cost down...
    Also pic of lantern taillights I got some 15 years ago That I have been waiting to use.... 20181015_141236.jpg

20181015_193404.jpg

Now the FUN begins putting this puzzle together !

brEad, AHotRod, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  2. aircap

aircap

Awesome. Keep us filled in.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Finally made some room in the garage... Got chassis in and starting the setup process. gathered more parts up.. Decided the 9 inch going to be a bit WIDE by about 7 inches. Measured up one of my Nova Rear ends and its in the ball park. Got the front spring ordered today should be here on Wed, So I know what front ride height is going to be. Still need to get rear suspension parts to be able to mock that up...
    Also bare block and trans to make those mounts. 20181021_164759.jpg

mkebaird, brEad, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  4. Made some headway , Last week cut the frame and stretched it 6 inches. After some measuring I noticed it was going to be WAY short for the big block, Even a small blocks balancer would have been right up to the front mount even with trans mount set all the way back. Finally got a front spring from Speedway so I got the 4 link set and tacked in place. PayPal ruled in my favor from them dick weeds at Johnny Law Motors (NEVER AGAIN ) Dug the block and trans core out storage and started to mock up the engine and trans, What a chore with out my engine hoist.(On loan) So I decided to set heads and the rest in place for a look see...Going to keep the huffer that unfinished look.( The first that blower seen light of day from under my bed in 15 years) Now time to make engine mounts, Trim the cowl for trans clearance so I can do a proper channel of the body. Still havnt decided if I am going 4 link in the rear also or that traditional look of ladder bars... Thinking ladder bars:cool:

20181103_115327.jpg

Glad I did a 6 inch stretch or the mounts would have been on top of gear box Still tight as it is

20181103_115814.jpg

Thrown together for a look see

20181103_171149.jpg

More to come as time permits

5. Wild headers.:D

loudbang likes this.
  6. Well a little more done today...

Made a square peg fit a round hole... Found a Chevy windshield frame that the dimensions was a little larger by almost 3 inches... so some trimming, using another frame for round the corners and made a frame to fit. Had to custom fit some Xtra pieces to fill the corners better. Also had to cut the A pillar loose and spread the top apart to make a square gap top to bottom.
    Pretty Happy with the outcome of this part of the project..
    20181118_153607.jpg
    Square peg round hole notice the taper at the top also 20181118_153601.jpg

20181122_111406.jpg
    Fitting the corners

20181122_162927.jpg

Good even gap still need to shape bottom a little....

20181122_163229.jpg

Got to love the optical Illusion of what looks like a drooping top piece

7. F&J

F&J

Looks great. Mine was once a 5w coupe missing the roof, ...I made the windshield posts and used a modified 28 Dodge truck W/S frame. Heated the sides to match the posts, then reshaped the bottom curve at the cowl.
    DSCN0635.JPG

harpo1313, Okie Pete, Dave Mc and 5 others like this.

8. Damn that a good looking car

9. F&J

F&J

Thanks man.. :) I had a tough haul over many years trying to save the battered body shell into what it became on a shoe string budget. Here are some pics of the original purchase for inspiration. The only thing farmed out was when I brought all 4 glass frames to get glass cut and installed in those frames. There are no repro parts to speak of besides door handles, and no 1-800 building parts, all old parts that nobody wanted, so I could afford them.
    32-3.jpg 32-8.gif 32-10.jpg 32-21.jpg 32-22.jpg 32-29.jpg DSCN0142.JPG
    I drove it as a daily all this year, starting in January. Mostly because I just love driving it, and maybe more important at my age?>>> I've literally met thousands of people of all possible ages that love the car or the color, that they come up and start talking.....and lots have become casual friends. I damn near gave up several times over the years, but I'm now glad I didn't.

10. Interesting project! What is the vision for the final outcome???

F&J and loudbang like this.

11. I am on the same thing a shoe string budget many parts collected over the years

loudbang likes this.
  12. Cactus1,

The vision is a nice home made hot rod truck that is to be drove and not a trailer queen.
    Also to Xpand my building capabilities. This is my First ground up build...

loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  13. The other day came across a add on CrackHeads list for a 34 truck cab with some quick measurements from the other 34 I have that this may work for my top and tail needed for this project.

Went and looked at it day after T-Day and it was a solid cab but a little damaged very workable.
    A bit NIPPY at 8 am when I showed up 35 degrees.

20181123_093841.jpg

Cab and bed do not really need the bed but was a package deal.

20181124_084406.jpg

Got the top off and w/shield frame out.. LUV AZ sheet metal all but 3 screws came out... with out using the hot wrench or cut off wheel.

Found out that this cab is 2 inches taller than a A cab, A little slice and dice to the back panel and should be fine. Will need to change up the rear body line to match the A doors though...
    And the project continues with time, At least the weather been GREAT !

14. scotts52

scotts52

Wish I were closer. I'd buy that bed off you.

loudbang likes this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I miss being able to locate and find old cars and parts, here in Florida it's all stuff being drug in and pricey.

Enjoy your project!!!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Any reason not to find a door and build that cab instead? Looks pretty solid!

loudbang likes this.
  17. It is a VERY solid cab. I do have one 34 Ford truck now that I just got not long ago on a deal that couldn't pass up.

I have had that Studebaker cowl for a long time now wanting to do something with it along with the other parts that I have collected.

Besides Everyone and there brother or sister has a Ford/Chevy not many Stude hot rods out there besides the occasional bullet nose.

And it is different.... Kind of like me :)

loudbang and F&J like this.
  18. I don't remember the year but my buddy built this one, it used to be a hearse, he took about 7 ft out of the middle and made it into a sedan delivery. Screenshot_20181124-234553_Photobucket.jpg

mkebaird, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  19. The work on the ws frame has me.
    I vote Stude, it's going to be cool!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Subscribed, I'm looking forward to watching this build progress.

loudbang likes this.

21. By the grill its a 31.

I like the look of the chop

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice windshield frame fix...

loudbang likes this.
  23. Well got the top and tail off the 34 cab..

20181125_100631.jpg

20181124_172049.jpg

Used a spot weld cutter for the sheet metal attached to the floor where I could, A good one sure does make short work of cutting them...

Damned Ford used rivets for the braces and then put a weld on each corner I was like WTF !
    That was a PITA to take apart.
    Wanted to save the floor with the cowl as much as I could..
    Knowing some one could use these parts if they are not hacked up.
    Did have to cut the brace from the seat frame to the tail though no way to get in the small area to cut the rivets..

Now have to fit these parts together.... But that's for another day, Time for around the house stuff...

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  24. Finally little more work done.
    Found a grill on Fleebay for a 31 Stude, Gonna be close enough considering trying to find a 30 grill is like hens teeth. It was pretty rough.

As received...…..

20181210_164326.jpg

Ripped it apart got the insert straightened out and rust removed (soaking 2 days Evapo-Rust)

Bang out the shell now to fix the lower crank hole...

20181222_120259.jpg

20181222_181200.jpg

A sawz all blade helped along with a 2" putty scrapper

20181222_120927.jpg

20181224_145646.jpg

Some dipshit used a torch and cut a hole WTF ! don't know if I want to make a whole new piece or repair what's there?

loudbang, AHotRod, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  25. Also was able to get the rear end mocked, Then brackets welded and rear spring hung

20181223_084746.jpg

Let me tell you this shit isn't easy. Trying to figure out spacing for brackets and the magical 45 degree.
    After all the BS of measuring several times taking the spring apart and using just the main leaf. I got it tacked.. Then read the Posie site for the spring and it gave the measurement needed for the brackets.. I was spot on :D

Hooking the spring into place was a chore also not as easy as a regular 2 spring set up.

Used a HIGH LIFT or Farm Jack what ever one calls it.
    Braced against the spring holder and a tie down up around the frame and down below the lifting point of the jack and cranked it up until things lined up..

20181223_083302.jpg

There is NO WAY I can see hooking one of these to the axle out of the car..

loudbang and Okie Pete like this.
  26. Nice job on that grill!

loudbang likes this.
  27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

28. Budget36

Budget36

Still having fun? :)

loudbang likes this.

29. Thnx brEad

Still flipping a coin to see if I am going to chrome the shell or body colour

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  30. loudbang likes this.