Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

My buddy had an early 60's Caddy. One day i saw him down in the local park with a chain around a tree attatched to his bumper. He was backing up the car to pull the bumper straight.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

This reminds me of one of those reality shows where 2 teams had a limited time to build something like a swamp buggy or submarine using only the parts in the junkyard. New meaning to quick and dirty.

3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

4. 4Birdman

4Birdman

I used to own a Jeep shop and this was one of the ones we got in. The frame had rusted out and the belly pan had nothing to attach to any more. Dude had wrapped a chain around the frame and welded it to the belly pan. FIXED!
    2017-02-02 20.52.34.jpg

Dave Mc, mgtstumpy and Bleach like this.
  5. topher5150

topher5150

Is it me or are rat rods getting made lazier and lazier. I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but there was a time, not to long ago when I thought rat rods were pretty cool, but now it seems they throw what ever combination of body parts, and sheet metal on a Chevy pick up frame, throw on a bunch of random crap and call it art.

Bleach and samurai mike like this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

Back in the 60's when the RAISED gasser-look was the style......buddy of mine used muffler clamps around his rear shocks to hold the rear end of his car up!! Zero suspension in the back and REAL hard on the shock mounts.
    But it looked COOL!!!:cool:
    6sally6

loudbang likes this.
  7. No to mention some really swell exterior plywood sheathing. $500 W/O engine and trans.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. With some good rain that plywood sheathing will really swell.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. This is not what they meant when you use an S10 clip.
    upload_2018-12-17_12-52-56.png

Dave Mc, blowby, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  10. I think you’re right. It reminds me of people who have smoked a lot of dope and they think everything they say has profound meaning and everything they do is art, but in actuality it is just shit...kind of like Yoko Onos singing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. This came up for sale on FB
    Description said it needed balanced
    BE895F9B-9874-4C9D-9B59-0C539934E502.png

12. My daughter had an OT small pickup that got smashed in the door. One of those traveling body men drove by her house and saw it and made her a screamin' deal on fixing it. She brought it by after the repair and it looked good, primered with a guide coat on it. Seemed like the bondo was a little soft though. She drove it for years like that and when it finally died, I did a little digging into the bondo. The stuff was still soft after many years. Maybe it was play dough.

Nicholas Coe, mad mikey and Bleach like this.
  13. ^^^Probably not enough hardener was used in the mix.

clem likes this.
  14. Some people should just not weld. This was an attempt to weld a shock mount. Shocking indeed. Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 11.14.22 AM.png

brad2v, Dave Mc, alchemy and 8 others like this.
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

But it goes so well with the upper control arm mount.

16. Exemplifies the term "bird shit weld".

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that s the type of arc welding the ole guys referred to as stacking chicken s**t with chop sticks came from

Boneyard51, Nicholas Coe and Bleach like this.
  18. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

It looks like some kind of industrial accident. The elephant foot of shock mounts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Steve Ray and Bleach like this.
  19. Why does the R.R. word(s) immediately come to my mind?

20. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Psssht! That's a row of dimes if I ever saw one....

Lemme find my glasses....

:eek:

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. Roger Rabbit??

'51 Norm and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

IMG_20181112_064846777.jpg here's how the previous owner lowered the front end on this t bucket. They flipped the front cross member around and welded it upside down. It has since been removed.

Bleach and mgtstumpy like this.
  23. Ray Charles welded that with his feet. :D

Bleach, Boneyard51, GuyW and 3 others like this.
  24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I'll play. There has been a lot of discussion over the years on converting a model A to hydraulic brakes. There are a lot of innovative things I found on my avatar. I am the third owner of the car and went all the way to the right coast to pick it up because it was owned by a man who bought it when he came home from WWII and drove it for many years, then restored it in the mid eighties. At least I got a decent original body. This could be a very long thread but I will only post the brake system and as a bonus, show what I cut off the frame.
    The heart of the brake system is some kind of weird master cylinder I have never seen. It was bolted backwards to the side of the transmission with a piece of rusty angle iron. Then an original brake rod (A) was run backwards to a piece of brake rod (B) that went from the frame to the transmission. Rod B was secured to a hole in the frame with a washer and cotter pin on each side. Rod A was supported by a piece of brass screwed on next to the master cylinder When the brake pedal was depressed the rod A would pull rod B forward and that in turn would drove rod C into the master cylinder. Now that the master cylinder was mounted it was time to mount the backing plates. The front ones actually went together in a normal manner, but the rear backing plates have always been a problem. The first step was quite innovative. To clear the spring hanger he simply hogged out the brake cylinder hole and moved the wheel cylinder up. This was a giant step forward as the wheel cylinder now cleared the spring and shock hanger. The problem that arose next was that the brake shoes would no longer be centered on the backing plate. The cure was to bring the wheel cylinder back down and put some kind of putty in the hogged out hole. Finally the backing plates were clocked and he got that part to work, although the emergency brake cables really didnt work well but what the hell do we need an ebrake for anyway? All that was left was to plumb the lines. Steel is such a pain to deal with so copper was the choice of this master mechanic. Oh, did I mention that the son told me his father was a master mechanic who was so smart that he was called down to Florida to work on the space shuttle? I wonder if that was the one that went down??? The amazing thing is there was a Pennsylvania inspection sticker that was attached to the windshield less than fifty miles before what was showing on the working speedometer. You people in PA better not think your state's inspection stations are doing anything more than collecting money. So here are the pictures along with what was cut off the frame. IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0605.jpg

Attached Files:

Dave Mc, Bleach, 2FordGuy and 6 others like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This is a perfect example of a picture being worth a thousand words. I wonder if the PA inspections were like Ohio's, they only cared about pedal travel when checking the brakes, and the parking/e-brake had to work.

26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That’s ... amazing. I can’t come up with any other description for it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. bct

bct

more common than you think.

28. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Great visibility... 58-Impala-motorhome.jpg

Dave Mc, Bleach, Nicholas Coe and 2 others like this.
  29. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Wow, some great stuff here....

This thread is kinda like going to a family reunion... ...you sure feel better about yourself afterwards....lol
    Bobby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.