Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs under gas pedal.... a little button?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kmccann, Dec 22, 2018.

1. kmccann

kmccann
    from venice

Hello everyone and happy holiday
    i just replaced the gas pedal on a 50 shoebox and saw a push button on the floor between the pedal hinge and the throttle connecting rod. I've looked all over the internet, and nothing in my shop manual about it, but I think it has something to do with the overdrive, is this correct. And is there a more complete detailed shop book available

thank you

2. Its the GO FAST BUTTON when throttle is stomped !

Deuces and kmccann like this.
  3. Boodlum

Boodlum

1950's Buicks used a starter button located under the gas pedal. Grandmother almost killed both of us one day starting her 1955 Buick. Launched like a rocket and ended up in a bar ditch. I started riding shotgun and ended up in the back seat.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kick down switch for the overdrive trans. That is if it still has the overdrive.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Boodlum

Boodlum

Mr48 has best answer.

Deuces likes this.
  6. But the others were pretty good:D.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. GM turbo 400's had a kick down switch on the peddle also

Deuces likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

It's for overdrive.

The starter switch on the Buicks was on the carb, it would be deactivated by engine vacuum once the engine started.

The earlier TH400s had the kickdown switch on the carb, but they moved to above the gas pedal starting around 1970ish.

Deuces, egads and saltracer219 like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I didn't know there was a go fast ability in 1950.

deadbeat and 49ratfink like this.
  10. Like the others said it's the kick down for the overdrive.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Someone put it there to make someone else ask why. Its been there waiting since about 1952, and you have finally asked the question.
    Congratulations, you made the button work!

There could be a slight possibility that some of the others may have had a more accurate answer... Gene

Deuces likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s kinda special switch. When stepped on,it momentarily kills the engine and then kicks the overdrive out, back into high gear. Or something like that. It’s been a while since I messed with one and I never put one in my overdrive that I put in my 1960 Econoline. Just shifted it manually.

Bones

14. v8flat44

v8flat44

In a Ford it's a kick down for overdrive for shore ! In a Packard it's a starter sw.
    MERRY CHRISTmas all you H A M Bers ! m

Deuces likes this.
  15. egads

egads

Packard had the starter switch on the carb.

16. belair

belair

@Boodlum Bar ditch-I didn't even have to look and see where you're from.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wandered myself, never heard of that before but was curious and looked it up......
    At first thought they may have been leavin the bar an ran in the ditch:eek: but then thought nah:D

belair, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  18. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Switch under clutch on 50 stude truck in the starter button!

19. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With OD cable in on Stude truck at about 33mph let up on gas and it shifts into overdrive. Too bad its only like 75 hp!

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I used that button for mind-blowing sudden acceleration in 'rolling starts' in 1958-'60 street racing.
    My '56 Ford convertible was obviously a 'racer', with its 8.20 X 15 rears (painted reversed steel wheels) traction masters, scavengers, and raised suspension...
    292" Y, with 3 speed T-86 box, overdrive. Engine built from block, lotsa internals.
    Fast anyway, is the point. And 'willing to race'. (Street 'gasser-types' then were popular, and we could spot one immediately!)
    Chevy guys used to want to roll start, "Rear end weak, this is the 3rd!" "Don't want to dead start, might blow the trans!"
    We'd line up, to roll start at a pole or tree 150 feet away...Chevys (mostly) rolled 25 and shifted to 2nd...I'd push in my overdrive handle and accel in low, letting off and 'faking' a shift to 2nd...actually, the overdrive engaged, so I was in 'low gear overdrive'...thought by the unsuspecting Chevy pilot to be in 2nd, as he was.
    At the pole, the Chevy would be hard pressed to 'leap' in second, even with the clutching and throttling...but my Ford would shift back into low gear and just leap, right in the power range. Low gear to 60, shift to 2nd, easy 95...then in high, heavy torque pulled hard.
    Lost ONE race in over 60, to Willy Pettitt, in his new '60 El Camino. (Willy and his Dad were fierce Bonneville contenders, so no tellin' what HE was running...)
    Probably a Y. LOL

cactus1 likes this.
  21. BJR

BJR

Some Buicks around 1950 had a second button on the floor like the dimmer switch, to change the radio station.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

RIGHT!!!

23. Or for passing gear if someone put a GM T400 in it.