Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Now?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Artworx, Dec 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I'd go for the 200-4r transmission, but I think you'd need a 2200 stall convertor. Also, contact Lokar about an offset bend shifter to get it over more to the right.

rpm56, loudbang and dan31 like this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Rod Action May of 81 Scan0792.jpg Scan0794.jpg Scan0793.jpg Scan0795.jpg Scan0796.jpg

3. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanx for showing the article. Car has huge billet dash now. Hope I never have to drive south in the afternoon, I'd go blind. I'd work on taking it off, but the glas is full of holes below. Any ideas on laminating a fiberglas or steel piece over the top of it?
    Thanx for the comments on the shifter. Currently it is a Lokar and as you know there is a detent cable runnuing down the center. I had a long talk with a Lokar dweeb who could only read catalogs on the screen. They have no alternate shift levers...but they do have a "remote" location shifter for a bunch more money. I could mount that anywhere. If I got a few more striping jobs that's what I'd do. But its Christmas and theres no extra work...so I wait patiently.
    Thanx on the top lead. I'm checking that out.

stanlow69 likes this.
  4. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'd go back to the Cragar Super-Tricks!!

craig b blue and Fordor Ron like this.
  5. Could you paint the dash plate? Body color, or interior color, or flat black? Does Wescott sell the glass dash as a separate piece, or is it molded to the cowl?

Phil

6. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

congrats on the new ride.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Cool car and tough decision. It being in a mag like that would at least cause me to pause as you have. Half of me would want to leave it alone for history sake and the other half would be like "fuck it, it's mine now!" I guess if you get to feeling too guilty about it, you could sell it and get something less regretful. LOL!

loudbang likes this.
  8. "being in a magazine" should not have any bearing on decisions...I had my roadster in HOT ROD back in 1960..didnt mke it drive any better..or increase the value of it..nowadays most 32 roadsters are like a fire breathing dragon..if you see one,youve seen them all...

belair, kidcampbell71 and KKrod like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, and I thought the same thing but didn't say anything figuring the OP would be concerned about getting the paint matched.

My Wescott dash panel, made in Boring Oregon, not Speedway China.

20181212_024313.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    rodncustomdreams likes this.
  10. It is your car, period. If you are happy, then so be it. If it were mine it would be 100% apart by now. But that's just me. I own an historic Coupe and I have done my best to keep it as is by rebuilding just about everything the way it was. But the way it was is the way I want it. Good luck what ever you decide.

loudbang likes this.
  11. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Change out the wheels , steering wheel and tail lights , drive it !!

12. j3harleys

j3harleys

I bought a model A back in the the 80's built by respected rod shop, all the welds were ground clean and painted to match, It was beautiful, until I got enough miles on it that it started falling apart. Not saying your's will just sayin

pprather likes this.
  13. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just recd. the tailights from rustnrelic, Dec 23rd. Very well packed and very cool, ready to fit and connect. Glass lenses unlike those marker lights I now have. I think it will be an easy fitting. I appreciate the quick service and reliability of you guys. I'm excited. I told my wife that she gave them to me for Christmas. I'll post a pic of before and after when I get 'em in. Jer

14. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

Hey, Art, Nice '32.
    Most any time ya buy a turn key, tires & wheels get changed to personalize it.
    The theme of your '32 is 95% traditional. Hard to tell what wheels you have but my guess is traditional Halibrand or Billet Specialties "Legacy" Halibrand clones.
    So if it ain't broke don't fix it.......check my wheels........
    Cruzin', Jim

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. guy1unico

guy1unico

Enjoy the car as is and don't put another penny in it. The value is in the builder and magazine article.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So if you lose the magazine and forget the builders name. The value of the car is no good. Not so. It is personal taste of the present owner and the value someone is willing to pay for it.-------- I think the Sweedish born Hot Rodder had an influence in the design of the car. No historical significance there.

belair and loudbang like this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Boy, looking that car over it bears a slight resemblance and influence of Scritch’s 32 BBAC3FFD-B453-45B6-8CD6-EF3756D5B81F.jpeg Which no longer exists as its back to its McGee configuration.
    As for the 70’s not being a historically significant time, bull pucky!!!!! That’s nearly 50 years ago people and a whole bunch of kick ass Hot Rods were built during that era.......

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    rod1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

These guy's didn't ask for advise. So who are we to say where you take it? Pretty original when you think about it.
    [​IMG]
    Follow your gut.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn straight Kevin!

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Who said that statement. I was referring to the Sweedish born hot rodder giving opinions about how car should look. Like the wheel choice and the mounting of the gauges. Then there`s the taillights. Nothing against the swedes. My wife is one. I have had customers want some pretty weird stuff done to there cars. But they are paying the bill.

loudbang and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  21. Thoughts on your shifter: I see in the mag article pictures that it had a factory Mustang/pinto type shifter. I'd take a wild guess that you can get a '4 speed' auto shifter detent for that shifter. I know you can for different Chevy/GM shifters. It is a lot shorter than the Lokar & it should be lower on your leg too. It should work great as I doubt you'll be shifting your trans manually.....

loudbang likes this.
  22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I'm pretty sure Lokar makes a cable operated shifter that you can mount just about anywhere.

loudbang and craig b blue like this.
  23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

As the owner of another originally '70's built car, I'd say take photos of it the way it is, and do what you want. I too remember your car from it's feature, but even then that billet stuff was ugly. Lose the tail lights and other billet stuff, throw it all in a box for the next owner.

osage orange, loudbang and flatford39 like this.
  24. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm agreeing with about 70% so I guess that's good. The Lokar cable shifter is over 350.00...but it would solve the problem. The location is not a problem if I go less than 100 mi. My leg can deal with it. A 200r would need a new shifter and then I'd solve both problems. But not in 2018...unless somebody nearby needs striping and lettering. the cash register is empty for now. The wheels on the car now are Eric Vaughn "Real Wheels". My understanding is that Vaughn cast aluminum wheels in Halibrand's molds. I called him and he answered the phone and he went to school at my high school but a few years later. six degrees, huh? The wheels are not rare but there are not a lot of them around. I love them, so unless I decide to go with steelies that's the way it is. Thanks for all your thoughts. I think over what you say.

25. Low Beam

Low Beam

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree entirely, you may be the only one that gets it. Well, that and the tail lights.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. cosbysweater

cosbysweater

Just came across this, this is my dad's old car, he's the original builder of it. I will try and see if I can dig up some old pictures of it. Hope it's still on the road!

28. 55chevr

55chevr

Is this a Westcott fiberglass body?

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

BUMP