Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl Wurfel, Nov 7, 2018.

1. If that is in fact the case then it should be alright. I would feel better measuring them again but hopefully it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Carl Wurfel

Carl Wurfel

Guys thanks a lot for your help I did the first 30 min break in run on that 327 and sounds very nice.
    I appreciate the help, so glad I didn't try and break it in with the rod caps mixed up.
    Merry Christmas

302GMC and mad mikey like this.
  3. Glad it worked out for you Carl. Merry Christmas to you.:)

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

First time I saw this thread. Glad you found the mismatched caps before trying to fire it up. Lots of smart people on this site, and most are willing to help as much as possible. Good luck with it! Oh yeah, maybe post a vid of it running if you can :cool:

5. Experience is key here. I had gone to an automotive school and it was very hands on with engines. I still buy books to learn something new. I mark all the main and rod caps if they are not marked. I have a convention down so I always know what side faces the front of the engine, now I take pictures as I take an engine apart and I take more as I put it together. Every old part tells part of the story of how the engine was treated. With a fresh engine, I break the cam in (flat tappet only) and dump the oil and filter. I look at the oil and if I see something funky, I split the filter open. I'll go another 300 miles and dump the oil and filter again. I have never lost a cam or a fresh engine, either great luck or I'm doing something right.

Deuces likes this.
  6. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I have to hand it to you. A lot of people would have just attempted to run it. When you are not sure it's best to ask what you may think is stupid question, but in reality not asking is stupid. We have all been there. JC

Deuces likes this.
  7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I was hoping someone would notice the oil filter adapter on this engine....
    It's a large journal block..
    So... 4 " bore , cast crankshaft 327...
    I would like to see the block and crank casting #s...
    Large journal crank has 2 small woodruff keys..
    And every large journal crank I've seen has been drilled for the balance bolt..
    Pics please ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Maybe I missed it but are the spark plugs installed, when trying to turn manually? Pretty basic for experienced guys, so maybe no-one thought to ask