Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mustang rad in a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy holidays everyone
    I'm going to order a new rad for my sbc into a model a project. I'm leaning towards the walker cobra rad, it seems to be the most cost-effective rad that looks like a proper A rad. There seems to be some people using a Mustang rad instead but I haven't found any pics, as I will not be running a hood I am concerned about the look. Any pictures please . Phil

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Since the Mustang has been made for 54 years....what year?

With that said, my short answer is......

Get a radiator made for a Model A or Early Ford , original or new.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. bct

bct

mustang rad fits width wise but is a bit short so you can see tanks from the front . not ideal but they are cheap.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. bct

bct

1964 to 68 I think. 6 cyl. configuration for sbc.

5. e z i

e z i

What's a Rad?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. raven

raven

I use a mustang v8 radiator and covered it with a 28-9 A shell. I place a sheet of perforated steel in front of it. Works great and no one can tell front the front.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

AHotRod, pitman and bct like this.
  7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Mine has a mustang radiator. Never felt bad about it and I think it looks fine.

aaaaa7.PNG pos.jpg IMG_4220.JPG

This has a Mustang Rad too.. except he flipped his upside down to make it work.

livewire-hot-rod-rear.jpg livewire-hot-rod-1896.jpg

AHotRod, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I had a lot of guys in my neck of the woods are using a Volare ,aspen and some new Yorker rad for the deuce shell. The water necks are on the proper sides for a sbc and I believe are the same size.

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  9. Raunchy

Raunchy

I was just thinking I put a Chevy roundy round radiator in my 48 with a SBF and had to do some creative plumbing because of the outlet & inlet. Did you guys have any trouble hooking up your hoses to the Mustang radiator????

10. raven

raven

No issues.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

bct likes this.
  11. chopped

chopped

I had the inlet changed in one for next to nothing, any good shop can do it.

12. verde742

verde742

what year Mustang on the coupes

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

14. If you can afford it use the Walker radiator,they have a 10 year warranty and the one in my sedan is 30 years old with no problems. HRP

dirty old man likes this.
  15. AndersF

AndersF

Anyone who knows the size on theese?
    I am looking for a radiator to my build.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

pitman likes this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I used a mustang onece ,because I had it but for the cost of the cheapie aluminum ones online , and a can of black paint I feel like that is the better option... for me anyway .. or if radiator shops are reasonable in your area get a good stocker and have it repaired

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Thermostat housing from a 70's Chevy inline six works to get the hose pointed in the right direction.

Gary

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

You know what years on these?

21. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

1965-66 mustang, Falcon, Comet V8 rad fits a 26-27 T rad shell a bit short, but expanded metal, painted black, will hide most of the gap. The rad cap is under the shell, tight , but is acesable. Inlet and outlet are both on the passanger side, but changing the outlet will line things up. I also used the mustang rad hoses, which required trimming . The unit is priced at under $200 us ($300 cdn)

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You mean, we'd have to customize some shit? Perish the thought! :p

For any of these a little trip to the rad shop is likely.

Bottom inlet was turned up on mine. Cap is under the shell I like it like that.

On Live Wire they sealed the cap and brazed an extension to relocate it back.

23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I believe these rads were late 70s and early eighties. I took one from a 1980 Aspen I had and a buddy of mine gave me one from a new Yorker from the early eighties that was the same size but it had trans cooler built in. I believe these were very common for many model of Crysler products of this time. I'm building a very channelled rod at the moment and am planning on using this early Honda civic rad because of how low the body is. Water necks on same side as sbc and has built in mounting holes, is three rows and came with electric fan.

Attached Files:

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So if you can buy a Mustang radiator and have it modified to fit the A for less than a radiator designed for a Model A, what the hell, go for it. Keep in mind you need the mounting pads on the bottom of the bottom tank, and the brackets to mount the shell too. Why you'd like having the cap under the shell is beyond me, but hey, it's your car & radiator, so go with what works for you, makes no difference to me.

25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"This has a Mustang Rad(radiator), too, except he flipped his upside down to make it work."

Must be a bitch to fill.

Tim, upspirate and alanp561 like this.
  26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I used the mustang rad for a 6 cyl. Its the exact same as the 8 cyl except the lower hose is on the driver side. And it has a lifetime warrenty at Oriellys

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  27. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Way less. 40 bucks and a case of beer will usually do the trick. So around 250 bucks for a radiator vs what, like 1k for a 32 or Model A?

Cap under the shell.. it's hidden. I like that. It's a show car. There's weird shit everywhere.

I like you. You're a straight shooter.

Blues4U likes this.
  28. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for responding, I went ahead and ordered the walker cobra. Why: made over here, 10 year warranty, copper construction, and because I am planning not to use a hood I think it will look the best. Phil