Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods reverse backup switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ford, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

like to know if anyone has done this and how.....I have a 41 ford with a c4 trans lokar floor shifter and want to have a backup camera. how do I hook op a switch to turn on the camera in reverse? any idea's I thought about the stock neutral safety switch but it won't fit with the shifter..
    thanks
    mike

2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditional backup camera? images (1).jpeg

Phil

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You can use a brake light switch added so it's on when your in R/have lever push brake switch. Some autotrannys have backup light built in too tranny as a switch

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

that's what I was thinking about the backup switch and neutral safety switch from a mustang won't work with the shifter so trying to figure out a way to make one work when its in reverse?

6. squirrel

squirrel

buy a better shifter? Lokar doesn't make it easy, they seem to think that a car needs either a neutral safety switch, or backup lights, but not both.

Or just turn it on manually when you want it on.

7. ...........This might be the easiest approach and you could wire up a cool vintage back-up lamp at the same time.:) $_3.jpg

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

This idea might be a stretch. Adapt a neutral safety switch to the Lokar shifter from a Mopar. These screw into the transmission and are activated with a spring loaded ball that completes a circuit to the two outer pins for the backup lights and grounds the central pin for the start circuit. This would require using a relay for the start circuit.

9. bct

bct

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Backing over things is traditional.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron Francis sells a setup that fastens to a couple of pan bolts and has a switch that gives you both neutral safety and backup lights https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NS-350
    There used to be a kit that used the stock C-4 switch on the Turbo 350/400. This may be it but if you have the switch and can figure out a bracket and a way to work the switch and a rod to run up to the shift arm you might be able to fab your own.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I find it difficult to understand why Lokar would design a shifter that was not compatible with the standard Ford C4 neutral safety/backup light switch. The switch mounts concentric with the trans shift shaft, which has ‘flats’ on it for the shift arm. How can that simple switch be incompatible with a shifter that, in the end, only rotates the shift shaft, same as stock?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Crazy Steve likes this.
  13. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This is the traditional back up system
    jungle pam.jpg

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here is the switch I was referring to. This one is from a Dodge minivan, but the same system has been used as far back as the 60's. This one is activated internally by linkage in the transmission but I can't see why it couldn't be used externally with a Lokar shifter since they use a similar switch. Some fabrication would be involved as far as making some sort of nub to hit it in the appropriate positions of Park, Reverse, and Neutral, but I'm sure that a typical Hamber could do it. I'm thinking seriously about a rear view camera too, since I can see diddley out of my chopped rear window when backing up. IMG_1151.JPG