Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9 in ford axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Dec 22, 2018.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

I have an early 1959 ford 9" 28 spline reared and would like to know if anyone ran in to this problem of leaking around the axle seal, after installing new napa seals. can you redi-sleeve that spot and or give me some direction!!! don't want to buy new axles trying to low buck this job humbly john!

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I heard of speedi sleeves but not redi sleeves. I've used speedi sleeves on pump shafts with good results but I don't see how you will keep it from moving since there's no shoulder for support.
    This topic was discussed just two days ago.
    You would have to drive the speedi sleeve the whole length of the shaft and not damage it assuming you could get the correct size.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ion-where-there’s-wear.1133539/#post-12875759

http://www.industrialbearings.com.au/uploads/catalogs/skfspeedisleeve_1338271826.pdf

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Seems like i read where old stock car racers used 2 seals on the axle because of them being prone to leaking. I'm sorry i really can't remember, but i think thats right.

4. tim troutman

tim troutman

I had the same problem with napa seals. autozone seals cured the problem the metal part seamed to not be as wide may ride in a different spot

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check your seal to see if it has a spring holding the seal against the axle. If not go to a bearing/seal dealer and have them look up a seal with the same dimensions that does have the spring. Problem solved.

Bones

6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Those springs also have male and female ends where they go together. Unscrew the spring, cut 2 or 3, or more coils off, and screw it back together. It will tighten the seal ID up quite a bit. Used to do that on fork seals for motorcycles. Inexpensive fix sometimes.

7. patsurf

patsurf

that is pretty shrewd!!good on you....

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, shorten the small spring as a first fix and hopefully that will work...

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There should be an obvious ring worn in the axle is a repair sleeve or special seal is needed . I would also verify the vent on your housing is clear allowing the axle to vent and your fluid level is at the correct level a small amount over full will cause leaks .

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with what Deathrowdave said in post 9. There should be an obvious groove in the axle where the seal rides if it has worn enough to leak with a new seal.
    Letting the axle slide on the seal surface when you insert it can mess up the seal enough to leak or knock the spring out of it.

11. I have a '59 Ford myself and used NAPA SKF seals. One side did leak, but I buggered the seal when I tapped it in. The remedy was a new National seal and a HF deal driver set. The other side was fine, but the seal has to go in absolutely square. I give the outer diameter a wipe of white grease and also on the axle before it goes in. If the axle itself is scored, you'll have to address that first. Most aftermarket seals by design, the lip rides in a different place than the stock one.

12. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Also check your vent bolt (holds the brake line tee to the axle tube). I sourced a 9" from a 1986 Ford F150, and the vent bolt was not drilled all the way thru. It kept leaking with new seals. One warm Arizona day, I removed the fill plug and heard air pressure escaping. Just pure lick that I found the problem.

13. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

OK FELLOW HAMBERS, first I already know about the spring trick, looked closer and found some scoring on the axle shaft, cleaned it up with some emery and was able to hold the seal closer to the axle bearing retainer that plus cleaned out that darn amsoil gear lube and put old reliable wally world shelf gear oil in seems to be working like back in the seventies. thanks for all the input! humbly john!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.