Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mid Century Modern Furniture

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by curbspeed, Jun 2, 2018.

1. My grandma had that same setup! I wish I had it now. I’m sure when she died none of her kids wanted it and it went to the dump.

2. Some more houses from my neighborhood. We almost bought the last house...didn’t like the corner lot and small back yard. It was all original inside though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. Cool Polynesian inspired office building near my house. There is actually a style of home in my neighborhood called the Pacific Oriental “ the first Oriental inspired home in the Midwest” according to the 1960 newspaper advertising..sadly many of them have been “colonialized” with shutters, and mutin windows, etc. there’s still a couple that have been maintained and left relatively unscathed...very cool home and roofline

Attached Files:

Hendee and Squablow like this.
  4. Our home done up for Christmas...

Attached Files:

Hendee, Sancho, Lepus and 2 others like this.
  5. Hendee

Hendee

Having unexpectedly found this thread on the H.A.M.B. I’m enjoying seeing all the cool posts on Mid Century Modern homes and furnishings. My wife and I just bought our first Mid Century Modern home. Can’t wait to move in. Will keep watching here for ideas of what to furnish our house in. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Wplow

7. Hendee

Hendee

Haha. My grandparents had the Orange version of that fireplace. So many memories

8. Hey how bout some details...being “across the river” I never saw a lot of homes like that when we would go o Windsor. Looks like a great pool! Flat roofs are pretty rare in the snow belt and the walls of windows are awesome.

Sancho and Squablow like this.
  9. Hendee

Hendee

House was built in 1962. Designer worked for Parkin Architects in Toronto who are well known for some of very recognizable buildings of the 60s in the city. 2400sq feet on the main level. Flat roof built for local snow loads. Glass box-wing goes through the house and has the dining room to the front, fireplace between it and living room to the rear. Courtyard between the home and detached 3 car garage and backyard pool all built at the same time as the house. We will be the 3rd owners after the original owners sold in 2006. Here’s a pic from the back yard.

[​IMG]

Also, there’s another really amazing Mid Century Modern home here in Canada near Niagara Falls. I’ll post a couple pics of it when I find the link to it.

10. Dude you win.....that place is amazing!

Chebby belair, Sancho and Hendee like this.
  11. Hendee

Hendee

Lol. We were pretty stoked to get it. Fortunate for sure. I will post some interior pics once we’re moved in. If you think it’s cool, wait until you see the one I mentioned near Niagara Falls. It’ll blow your mind.

12. Hendee

Hendee

Here’s the link to house I was mentioning earlier, and one pic of it.

https://www.hgtv.ca/real-estate/pho...st-catharines-sells-for-just-over-1m-1921616/

IMG_1064.JPG

13. Yeah....nice place..a little out of my league..I appreciate the “modest” Mid Century home a little more. Cliff May and Eichlers that are prevealent in California were built simple, for mass production, and affordable. They are around 1500-1800 sf and designed to take advantage of all the space in the home.
    I can appreciate a home like that, but it’s kind of like comparing a Lamborghini to a luxury mid size car haha...best thing I could come up with. And man homes are expensive in Canada...1M gets ya a 3 bedroom 2 bath near Toronto..

14. A couple more from my neighborhood. The second home was a model home and has a cool waterfall / pond in the backyard. It’s really cool at night all lit up, Lots of windows on the front and a wrap around deck.

Attached Files:

Hendee likes this.
  15. My gosh how off-topic can we BE ????

maplefrm likes this.
  16. ???? Well the furniture has to go SOMEWHERE...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  17. fleetside66

fleetside66

Nice looking digs, Tom. Is your swimming pool good for ice hockey now? I'll bring my skates.

Since the thread has morphed into houses, as well as furniture, I thought I'd share a few of my favorites. The first is a shot of our 1964 place, when I still had my '66 truck. The second one is a photo that I believe best exemplifies the Mid-Century mindset...gotta love it. The third one is a neat poster that some artist did for one of the Palm Springs Mid-Century weeks. My wife & I actually stayed in the place when it was first opened & it was quite an experience.
    IMG_1440.JPG ^xxxaa13895460_10205077424135344_1743812998893821715_n.jpg 8.jpg

18. Hendee

Hendee

Wow. Awesome pics.

19. Your home is amazing...I remember a thread somewhere here where you posted pics..always stuck in my head as a “home goal”

20. Family and I took a trip to the Henry Ford today..we have the same Herman Miller round table....somebody gave it to us...said we know you like this kind of stuff...we looked it up and were surprised to see how valuable they are..needles to say we don’t use it. It’s safely away in storage 9054681C-5860-4A85-BC5C-38D62F94648C.jpeg

E883A355-8A29-46F4-89E5-76AB6A5CEA36.jpeg 9DA10D50-44DD-4D40-864A-BE9C1A223BE5.jpeg E48B295E-CF44-421E-B48A-95D419DB57C4.jpeg DD27AA2A-0F5C-4C0B-8C03-D86E44F19DB7.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Okie Pete, Sancho, Malcolm and 4 others like this.
  21. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm lovin' the blow up of the lounge chair...thanks for posting all that. We have this 1950's Herman Miller Eiffel chair in our kitchen, named after the structure that supports it, which we beat the living hell out of. The unusual feature of this one is that it's clad in leather (as in original). Looking at it, you'd think it was delicate, but it is definably not. Time to break out your round table & use it. I think you'll find that it can take a lot & still look great.

IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0953.jpg

Okie Pete, Sancho, Malcolm and 3 others like this.
  22. We have the knock offs...they get well used by our family...my dad’s easily 340lbs..when he came to visit I was nervous..the chairs took it like a champ. We also have some real HM fiberglass clam shells that we got at a garage sale..2 yellow and 2 green..for 10 bucks each..

Sancho, brEad and Squablow like this.
  23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Just restored this, now working on the tall chest. 20181227_161858 (2).jpg

24. FANTM58

FANTM58

Here are a few shots of one of my TIKI bars
    I picked this one up at a garage sale for $25.00

Attached Files:

Squablow and LOST ANGEL like this.
  25. 5857480F-BBDA-4F9D-9F9D-5F0F04AF6B5B.jpeg Just got a set of these for the doors..

26. Very cool

27. Nice work..are you spraying these? And I’m asumming you sell at an antique mall? We thought about it, but seemed like too much $$ and not enough room for profit. We seem to do better on FB marketplace

28. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks! I'm retired and sell antiques at 2 local malls. It's my full time job now. I actually brushed and rolled these and they came out fine. I've been doing it for years. The tall chest is just about done so I'll post a pic in a few days.

29. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Okie Pete likes this.
  30. Hendee

Hendee

I’m not able to see the images, just gibberish of some sort. Am I the only one who can’t see them, or do you need to repost the images?

T