Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Introducing the midnight paint co ‘31

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by deucedesignsAZ, Dec 12, 2018.

1. DennieC

DennieC

I am hoping that comments do not discourage you from building your rod with cowl steering. There is no mystery to the geometry of bump steering free operation with cowl steering. In these photos notice the length of the drag link in relation to the steering link length. When these are equal they move in the same arc so as the wheel travels upward over a bump the two links move in a identical amount and the tire does not deflect side ways. Can't wait to see next progress photos. 0cbc69d0740fc507b766e3c1bae6a902.jpg 6acfee7fe19795fa22affbf9fdd6aa1a.jpg 20160803_205052.jpg

32SEDAN, Phil55Kratz, belair and 4 others like this.
  2. car looks great and for reference here is a recent chop by my 76 year old friend and mentor who builds a car a year on average. This one is slated to go to a TROG event. It is a 31 on A rails with a 9 inch drop.
    100_6596.JPG

3. Build it the way you want to build it. As far as cowl steering I to am going with cowl steering on my 30' Chrysler coupe project. A "Nordan" cowl steer box from the late 40's. I know several people that are running cowl steer without any bump steer issues. Some of "Doane Spencers" cars that were built in the 40's had cowl steering. A lengthy post by Pete Eastwood does go over cowl steering if you search it. Your post isn't about cowl steering so I hope it doesnt turn into a pissing match! :cool:

loudbang and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You are mis-informed , stop spreading bad info on the internet... fake news

5. DennieC

DennieC

Thirty two, your comment contains no factual info, just an opinion. I am waiting for you to back up your statement with facts, logic and cogent discussion. The car in the first photo runs at Bonneville which can be a rough and bumpy ride in certain conditions. Review your geometry text.

6. Kedde

Kedde
    from Denmark

He is right though.! 20181223_140650.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. to get those arcs the same you would have to have the pitman arm a lot longer and down near the wishbone pivot....just saying. I have cowl steering on my project but am committed to finish it even though I fully realize that I will change to cross steering in the finish project before paint. Just have to see for myself what amount and how bad the bump steer will be for my own education:rolleyes:

8. Kedde

Kedde
    from Denmark

Exactly.!

Sent from my SM-G960F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

First pic of what car? That rolling bones 3w?.., may have been at Bonneville but that is no Bonneville race car

Facts, logic science ect, you should do your homework , all you had to do was open up Pete Eastwood’s thread and educate yourself, there is even cool working videos with music to watch

If you want you can also do this in a backyard manner with a couple yard sticks and nails
    And see the different radi

The only way the bullshit you spewed in previous post would have a chance at truth is the use of 4bar system

Kedde likes this.
  10. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

Hey. Go argue about steering geometry elsewhere lol I’m still gonna do what I want. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clem, Phil55Kratz, patmanta and 5 others like this.
  11. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool dog !!! cool chop , i'll be watching.

OLSKOOL57 and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a good solid body, '32 rails are the way to go. Bob

13. all I can say is that will be one cool car when done.

14. DennieC

DennieC

15. DennieC

DennieC

thirtytwoIQ, you can thank Kedde for helping you express yourself. Yes, there is a difference in arcs. That must be why cowl steering cars change lanes when they hit a bump. Or fly off of the road when it's a bigger bump. There are many cowl steered hotrods and they are driven and enjoyed and they will continue to be built . Schroeder still makes and sells their cowl steering units. What do you care? How much wheel deflection is there in a properly built CS rod. Indy cars used to use them. Yes, if you are taking your rod off road then you would notice a problem. I do not use cowl steering since I have room enough in the engine compartment for steering. Some hot rods only have room for cowl steering. I fail to see why you have to get your panties in a bunch and start foaming at the mouth over my support of the OP in his build. Any hot rod with a straight front axle is far from ideal in terms of handling and ride quality yet they are still used in building hot rods. At one time my rod had bump steer and now it doesn't. It wasn't the end of the world. Try to lighten up with your insults and profanity. Relax. Go milk your cow. You are making this the Hostile assed message board.

craig b blue and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

We should all care when somebody speaks with knowledge and authority on a subject when they really don’t ...people accept what they read on the internet as fact , and then it perpetuates even more ignorance..

The cowl steer can be pulled off with no or limited bump steer ...

I was just calling out your info as bullshit, you told me i had no facts logic ect, I nearly pointed out that was actually the case for yourself ,if that is construed as hostile, was that your original intention to me?

We should all care and try to build this stuff with the best engineering and knowledge we can , it’s a responsible thing to do as we sharing the road with others

cars running down the road 80+ mph IS serious and that is why I’m serious about it

Schroeder was going out of business a while back btw....

I’m done with this as the OP doesn’t care ... i just hope he makes good decisions and enjoys his build my advice though is a uncomfortable shitty driving car is no fun

Bandit Billy, X38 and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  17. I don't mean to stir poo - but howabout statistics instead of 'this WILL happen' if you do this? If a man has a plan & wants to do something his way, why not? I learned from being on here awhile that there is a difference between kindly advice & 'I told you' so with no facts, just opinions. Not all the naysayers could fly when they first stepped off the branch. You guys say don't but not why. I wanna know why because I wanna learn

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    deucedesignsAZ likes this.
  18. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

Can anyone point me to a good thread or link on where to cut to flush mount model A doors? I can’t seem to find anything.

rwrj and loudbang like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stir it my friend, or else it gets lumpy and no one likes lumpy poo.

loudbang likes this.
  20. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

loudbang likes this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good gravy fellas! You all made your points.... about HIS chop and HIS steering set-up. At what point can we show him some respect and let him carry on with HIS thread? This build would have fit right in at an earlier time on the HAMB and if he had issues, we could expect responses like THIS.

All that said, he asked for the conversation to move forward. Personally, I would like to see this build progress.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    32SEDAN, clem, Phil55Kratz and 2 others like this.
  22. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

I know there hasn’t any been updates lately (I started at a new shop so time is more crunched) but I’m chasing a new lead on a engine and I should know by the middle of next week if it’s mine or not. Looks like I’ll need to find another project to throw my small block in if this deal goes through, pictures will come shortly fellas.

23. No problem we'll wait.

nunattax and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing this move along :)

deucedesignsAZ likes this.
  25. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

[​IMG] my deuce rails finally came in, now I can really start getting into it. Rolling bones style front suspension inbound.

26. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Hell yeah!!! Subscribed! Just read through the whole thread. Love it. Seems at if a lot of people forget about building a hotrod. It’s refreshing seeing something different. Or at least rad! I’m kinda going the boring simple route on my car but I can see later wanting to build something with serious attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and deucedesignsAZ like this.
  27. deucedesignsAZ

deucedesignsAZ

Badass man, thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  28. clem

clem

That is going to be one neat ‘hot rod’ which is what this forum is about.
    Thanks for sharing your progress.
    My only comment would be to get your seating height sorted before you build too much of your chassis, as you may benefit from a couple of inches of chassis ‘depth’ to recess your seat into, as you mentioned in your previous post. Using the ‘32 chassis will help. All that would depend on stance/rake etc, and you probably know this anyway.
    The look on the dogs face suggests that he is concerned about hitting his head, - he probably prefers the version in post 40............

deucedesignsAZ and loudbang like this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon