Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Shoebox Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakesbackyard, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Hinge covers??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. Left

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Right

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. patsurf

patsurf

loudbang likes this.
  2. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

No. It’ll get filled in, smoothed and some button head bolts and be good enough for who it’s for . The inside of the box will be finished, but nothing special. It’ll haul stuff!

Jigger, loudbang, mkebaird and 4 others like this.
  3. I wonder if the hinges from a 61 to 63 Ranchero would work?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing about it Jake, these old boys are not going to give up on those damn hinges. I hope you keep what you have, but if they keep beating you over the head I am afraid you are going to give up in pure exasperation...

5. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

No. Read earlier posts...mine has crown side to side...Falcons flat across bottom. They will be covered.

Haha. Like I said earlier...it just slides right off :D. It’s a done deal the way it is with the covers. It’ll be a while before they’re done. They’re on Christmas break now. As soon as they’re done there will be a pic.

Nova Thug, loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  6. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Tailgate inner construction in place, firmed up and latches in. One of these days I really have to start finish welding this whole thing...

9A529305-BF23-448D-958A-FF2C8B1B1726.jpeg

Jigger, Outback, Nova Thug and 13 others like this.
  7. Sorry, I won't mention it again. Looks really good what you have done so far. Rock on. I like these phantom cars. I could se myself building something like this.

jakesbackyard and loudbang like this.
  8. I don't think I've chimed in on this thread yet but have been watching and I like your engineering of the hinges and covers and thanks for sharing this work here. From what I've read here are you planning to add inner panels to the bed? You did state that you would be hauling stuff and it will slide around then dent the bed sides. If you add the inner panels don't forget to add access to the tail light backsides.

9. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you. Yes. The inside of the box will be finished. Nothing fancy like a show truck, but plain, simple and usable. I won’t be hauling rocks, gravel or firewood, but yes, be able to use it for what ever.

10. Bearded_Hombre

Bearded_Hombre

Subscribed!! Love this car already!

loudbang likes this.
  11. raymay

raymay

Glad you won't be shying away from using your bed. We used a tintable bedliner paint on my 56 and mixed it with the GM Dark Tarnished Silver that is on the body. The shade came out a little darker but has held up nicely with the hauling I have done over the past 7 years. I do have a mat on the bed floor which helps. I also incorporated hold downs in all 4 corners of the bed and always carry a couple sets of tiedown straps and a cargo net.
    Sorry about my inside the bed picture. It was a joke I sent my Son and Daughter when I told them I was ready for watching the Solar Eclipse we had last year. It does show the texture, color and a couple of the tiedowns.

DSC01130.JPG

Jigger, Hnstray, drdave and 6 others like this.
  12. I second the need for tie downs, I mounted D-rings that lay flush into the 4 corners of the bed floor on my 59 ElCamino and I used them constantly.
    I like thy proect, you have a good eye and creativity.

13. ...really like this project,...I've always liked cars (from the 30's thru the 50's) made into trucks;...some were crude and some were very well executed.
    when I saw this thread, I wanted to build a model of it, but decided on the 53 Hudson instead,..here's a few mock up pics of how it looks now;...I also used the rear cab section from a 53 Ford p.u.(which fits amazingly well)... as well as the bed...this'll be built as a driver/beater, not a show truck..
    more later...(sorry if I hijacked your thread,...just wanted to show how you inspired others)
    hudson p.u. model 008.jpg hudson p.u. model 002.jpg hudson p.u. model 013.jpg hudson p.u. model 005.jpg hudson p.u. model 014.jpg .

Jigger, MO_JUNK, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Sweet. Those PU roofs were meant to work on cars. Lol

loudbang likes this.
  15. raymay

raymay

Jake, spotted your request on the Photoshop thread. I told you these guys were good. Themoose did a great job with your ideas. Any consideration for angling the B-pillar and doors to give the body lines more flow? My doors on my 56 conversion were straight up and down so I copied a Nomad door angle to give the flow a little more of a factory look. Again the photoshop thread might be able to show more ideas. Always been mostly a Chevy guy but I am really liking you Shoebox conversion.

shoebox PU2.jpg

pvfjr, Jigger, MO_JUNK and 17 others like this.
  16. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I slanted the rear of the cab ever so slightly, but the pillars will remain straight up. Thanks Ray...maybe you’ll start liking more Fords.

Outback, Randall, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  17. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Many thanks to “low budget” for the front view and “themoose” for the rear view. There’s a ton of talent on here. These renderings really get me excited to keep going and “geterdone”!

B30CD6BC-C678-4FC6-9B17-CE5E1D219F76.jpeg F89FC463-AC5C-47C0-90BB-CBEC567A61E3.jpeg

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Saw your post on the Photoshop thread and immediately looked up your thread. The F100 cab back is a great idea.
    Subscribed and looking forward to more.
    Maybe for your next project you could incorporate the original rear glass and front of the trunk area like in this old photoshop I did years ago.
    Eli
    7. 51 Ford Ranchero Nomad tailgate .jpg

19. Jake's version is so much better lookin"...just my 2 cents

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    the neighbor, Randall, nochop and 9 others like this.
  20. Spectacular build so far. Love everything about it!! I second the idea of using the Ford Ranger bed floor to give it a factory look.

21. Turd Herder

Turd Herder

This a great project as shoebox as a guy this is the stuff dreams are made of. Keep the build photos coming, enjoy seeing your work and vision come to life.

loudbang likes this.
  22. ...just had to sketch one up...
    woodart 2018 362.jpg

23. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Sweet!

Not much new on the project. I’ve only worked on it a couple days this month welding. Had other priorities lately. Retirement is a tough life...hahaha.

24. Just found your thread. You really have a great eye for what does and doesn’t work. Can’t wait for more!

loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Half way down the first page I knew I wanted to subscribe to this thread. This is really cool. Nice job on working through the challenges with a build like this. I'm looking forward to seeing it's progress.

loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

Great project!
    I enjoy seeing someone take something and make what isn't, into what is.. Your proportions are spot on and your roof (Which is a sore spot on many of these conversions)looks great.
    Compared to what you have done so far a section job(Not that it needs one) is a walk in the park.
    Torchie

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    loudbang, jakesbackyard and drdave like this.
  27. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Wooooh !...that bitch is NICE!

loudbang likes this.
  28. brEad and loudbang like this.
  29. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

No project updates, but here’s a project model of the Capri from the NNL West Model show that I saw on Instagram. Pretty sweet.

F4E1DD2A-85B8-4E0A-8A9A-F07510A85DE8.jpeg

Jigger, catdad49, dwollam and 6 others like this.
  30. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

1FB21A60-70C7-4B13-B6D2-A0DFFA108741.jpeg 81546CA2-357D-4726-B486-E9A45F775C71.jpeg Haven’t touched the Ranchero for a couple months. Ditched this crap winter for a couple weeks in FL and now working on a couple paying projects. But the hinge covers are done and I mounted them today. Should work well...