Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need expert help on value

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jefre Bugni, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Jefre Bugni

Jefre Bugni

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I don't really care the values...I just need educated guess of value for heacock classic insurance....

1935 chevy truck 322 nailhead, roadmaster 3 speed and chevy torque tube rearend....built in 1962.... Fairly rough but very driveable

1951 chevy styleline deluxe....fair condition. 100% original...very driveable

craig b blue likes this.
  2. You might find the '51 in the "Old Cars Price Guide", google it and find a local place to buy a copy. Put your general location in your profile and maybe someone will suggest a place to buy a copy. You could start with the guide for the '35 and then delta for mods. Definitely an inexact science, good luck. Then there are the sold prices on EBAY if you are lucky to find somethings similar.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

For insurance you need a professional appraisal, or if you have a loss you are screwed. Our opinion means nothing to an insurance company trying not to pay a claim.

4. belair

belair

The above posts are spot on. But a WAG on the pickup is 25k and the 4 door 1000$

5. squirrel

squirrel

I would put the pickup less than 25k, and the Belair more than 1k.... but how much, I'm not sure.

F-ONE and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

18-20k on the pu,3500 on the 4 dr. in my neighborhood.

squirrel and F&J like this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

Pro appraiser, then you have ammo

8. Man, that Chevy pick-up is the tits!!!!!

9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Our old cars insured through J.C.Taylor for about 40 years (which we need to have them revalued I'm sure), and Hagerty is a good one I'm thinking. I imagine calling them with description, email pictures could give you an idea.
    If one was a total loss...what $ amount would you be happy with?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

10. alchemy

alchemy

I would say the truck is $10,000, the car is $4,000.

11. Insurance value on the car I would say 5 grand but selling price around 3

The truck is cool and if it’s as clean as the picks 25 insurance value
    And probably less to sell

An appraisal is what you will need for insurance reasons unless your provider does agreed value.

12. Squablow

Squablow

I'd say $20K and $4K although for insurance purposes I'd probably tack another 20% on there.

There are no driveable 50's Chevys for $1000 anywhere and if someone knows where I could buy a truck like that for $10K please forward it to me. This is insurance we're talking about, don't listen to the lowballers.

13. I am not an expert, just a guesser, but I would agree with Squablow and put 20k on the truck and 4k on the car.

14. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Tits that need silicone.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Jefre Bugni

Jefre Bugni

thanks so much for all the guesses.....

It was for stated value....I put $6000 each on the forms and they didn't balk....

The '51 was bought new in 1951 by my aunt and uncle.....so it is kind of a one owner....money has never traded hands for it.....it has 84k miles . I wouldn't pay $3000 for it or sell it for $10,000. Pretty cool to look under a 70 year old dash to see not a single wire tampered with.

I was kind of surprised by the high numbers on the '35.....it is a very neat toy now that it's been freshened up....brakes, fuel system, ignition.....but 1962 garage floor work by low budget builder....obviously hand grinders hadn't been invented yet....lol

My $6000 might be low on it but I was thinking $10k tops...

upspirate, belair and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Jefre Bugni

Jefre Bugni

honestly....I only wanted the insurance so I can register and drive them in lovely California.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Drive 'daringly'...Even fully insured.
    'Lovely California driving' is getting riskier by the day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Does anyone out there still write "liability only" insurance? Maybe auto club? It pays for your liability in case of an accident but you are out of luck about your car assuming you are at fault. If the other guy is at fault their insurance pays.

Charlie Stephens

19. squirrel

squirrel

I get liability only insurance from the local normal insurance place....usually about $100/yr on old cars.

20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

We like J.C.Taylor, but never had a claim. I would call them, Hagerty, etc. as well as your "new car" insurance agent. They should know.
    Thanks to Bugni for bringing this up. Wife and I really should increase our valuation. We priced our cars 40 years ago, and low back then. As I said, to me it's easy when you think about what if it was a total loss...what $ amount would you be happy with? Of course sentimentality and some cars/trucks people have here are irreplaceable.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

21. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I've been using Grundy for many years. Never had a claim so don't know how they pay. When I got my Pontiac I asked for $10K agreed value and they told me $20K premium is about the same price as $10K coverage so I said okay, give the the $20K coverage then.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Jefre Bugni

Jefre Bugni

I added them to an existing policy through Heacock Classic Insurance.

I have had a 1966 corvette insured with them for 15 years......agreed value of $25k.....that was as high as they'd "agree" at the time. That car costs $212 annually. The '35 was an additional $38 and the '51 was an additional $36....total $286. Maybe I need to reevaluate the corvette and '35 values.....

Very reasonable.

I had them insured through statefarm for the last year....'35 liability only was $260 per year and the '51 with full coverage agreed $5k was $317

23. Ask the insurance agent about undervaluing a car. For example: Start with a $25K car. Insure it for $5K. It has a $6K accident would they insist that if they settle it would be for $5K and they take the car? I don't know the answer but if you are insuring under value you should check. Be sure to check with the agency that carries your primary car insurance to see if they also handle antiques.

Charlie Stephens

24. Remember the Chevy pu is wood structure if original

25. Jefre Bugni

Jefre Bugni

oh.....it is wood...pretty solid though. I have tons of parts....my dad was quite the collector for fear of a crash. Doors....cab....front clip....running boards....hoods....rear fenders....on and on.....

the '56 nailhead is a runner.......

It was flat black when I was growing up.....I sure wish it still was. Pretty sure I'm going to return it to flat black.

26. clem

clem

Sounds like ‘you’ are the most accurate with your appraisal !

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd pay 3k for the 51 all day. (not that you are selling) That car would be a great driver.

28. oldsman41

oldsman41

The deal here is replacement cost you really need an appraisal for this.

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

Liability only insurance through the same insurance as your late model.
    Agreed amount coverage usually requires an appraisal. Should the vehicle get totaled, you get the agreed value. With some insurance companies, you can buy back the totaled car, some you can't. Check with your company so you know. If it gets totaled, everything on or in the car at the time goes with it, but some insurance companies will allow the removal of some stuff, again, you need to check your company. If you buy it back, most simply reduce what they pay you by the amount of the buy back.

If you can buy it back, and you think you want it, when it gets wrecked, get it someplace you can control. Strange things can happen at impound yards, and the insurance company won't care. Missing or vandalized stuff will be your problem. You might also want to know what the insurance will do after the total, some companies will no longer cover that vehicle. Gene

upspirate likes this.
  30. I have my Ford as agreed value with Hagerty. Pretty much for what I have inn it for cash. My agent wanted all sorts of pictures too. I upgraded the liability and the policy runs me $410 a year. But I can drive it all the time if I want with no restrictions.