Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What’s the best transmission run behind a stock model A 4 banger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Ran across a deal on a 31 Model A Sedan that’s priced right but it has the stock driveline with a stock 4 banger. The only thing that drives me crazy about the original stuff is the transmission isn’t synchronized and in the big city where I live the stop and go traffic is a killer.

If I wanted to run the stock banger and banjo rear what’s the best open driveline and trans swap to do on it? Anyone make an adapter to run a little powerglide or something cool behind it?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

-Ron

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

Not enough horse power stock for an automatic. You can put in a newer 30s trans but you should think about some extra hp.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

T5.

I think clings makes all the adapters and I think adapters to a torque tube are floating around if you dig around. @CTaulbert did a post on building his conversion a while ago I believe, though it wasn’t for an A rear.

Watched some guys in Australia do a t5 swap in an A roadster and go on a big trip, looked like it worked great

Fordor Ron likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

This should be the first segment of the series of getting the car on the road. Not a load of tech info but they do mention the driveabailty

a boner, Desmodromic and barrnone50 like this.

5. I built a '29 Tudor with a mild "banger" that had a "B" head, Stromberg 97 on a Tattersfield intake and electronic ignition, '38 transmission with a lightened flywheel and stock banjo. It easily did between 60 and 65 mph! Fun little ride...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    30tudor, Fordor Ron and Tim like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh I can’t remeber which banger thread it was but apparently you can use an AA truck bellhousing the adapter the t5 and use more off the shelf parts

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

They could save a little time, FTF....

8. 1) Leave the stock trans in there and learn to drive it so the problem will go away. It will take a little time to get used to driving it.
    2) As oldsman posted, a later '30's Ford trans with syncros. Note there is no synchro going from 2nd to first. Kits are available for this conversion. The stock rear end is untouched.
    3) A Mitchell conversion to the stock transmission to add syncros. The stock rear end is untouched.
    4) Go to fordbarn.com and search the archives for "automatic". If I remember correctly there are adapters for powerglides and one of the small Chrysler transmissions. Requires an open drive rear end. Remember that automatic transmissions steal power and there is not a lot of extra with a Model A engine.
    5) Also look for conversions to late model small vehicle transmissions. Requires an open drive rear end. Top gear is frequently overdrive.

Check you bank account balance before starting.

Start with 1) and work your way down. I prefer 1).

Good luck,
    Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. I would be happy with the stock transmission I think if I could get it rebuilt and have it be synchronized.

I just want it to be more drive able in town.

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can learn to shift the stock transmission. Matching engine rpm with road speed helps. Also double clutch helps.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

barrnone50 and Fordor Ron like this.
  11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I agree with Charlie. First practice practice practice. A Model A can be shifted without having to double clutch when you become very familiar with them.

Fordor Ron and warhorseracing like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JPEG_20180826_194604_-441503843.jpg or there is a T-5 behind the model A but it's a lot of work and bucks

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Drive it awhile and see if you can get used to it. If you still want synchro check out Mitchell for their offering. Search the archives on fordbarn to see what the guys think of them, I don't have any experience with them.

Charlie Stephens

Fordor Ron likes this.
  15. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The Majority view says : "T-5"!!

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Some body here on the HAMB has a kit to use a S10 four wheel drive tranny to the torque tube rear end.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to stay somewhat period, a '39 trans is "best" with an adaptor kit from Cling's http://www.clingsaftermarket.com

If you're willing to go more modern, the Mitchell is probalby "best" ($$$), the T-5 more popular.

1stGrumpy and Fordor Ron like this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Several guys have adapted late 80's Ford 4 speed overdrive transmissions from the F150 to the Model A banger with really good results. There is a tech thread on this if you do a search. I think you can even stick with the torque tube and original rear axle.

19. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

Depends on your pocketbook mostly. There is a company that makes the stock tranny with modern style gears. I think they are available through MAC

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1stGrumpy and Fordor Ron like this.
  20. Fordor Ron likes this.
  21. walls

walls

I had a 39 trans and it’s a bit quicker to shift through the gears, and obviously better for downshifting. Clings kit is pretty nice.
    That said, I don’t mind the un-synchronized. You get used to it.

I’ve not driven a banger with an OD, T5 or otherwise.
    It would increase top speed which would be great, but then you have to upgrade stopping ability...slippery slope. $$$/time
    Depends on what you want in the end.

John Heckman and flatford39 like this.
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm in the process of putting a 39 trans in my Model A. I've had the 39 trans for years and I bought the clings adapter. If I had the extra bucks I would of bought the Mitchell full synchro trans.

23. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

24. This is why I’ll never be a restorer. This kind of stuff makes me crazy.

Especially when you can just put a V8 in the damn thing and run whatever transmission you want.

I probably just need to stick with the 32 cars.

Thanks for the replies...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    treb11 likes this.
  25. elba

elba

Like Blues4U said . A friend has one and works great .

26. mdimages

mdimages

How did the stromberg 97 run? I’m goin to either do a 81 or a 97

John Heckman likes this.
  27. When Uncle Max went thru mine he set it up for my engine and it performed great. Sorry, I don't remember the details. I have heard/read where people claim that the 81 is better suited for the little banger but my 97 worked fine.

mdimages likes this.
  28. mdimages

mdimages

Thank you for the info!

1stGrumpy likes this.