Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y block in pre war chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DesertRat#1, Nov 21, 2018.

1. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

From the looks of your 292 it may be a HD truck engine the good news it could have a C1TE forged crankshaft the bad news if it has C1TE rods they are .073 shorter than other 292 rods and used a 1.82 compression height piston. Use C2AE rods will let you use passenger pistons.If not doing a rebuild compression ratios are around 8 to 1 on 292s in the 60s The truck bellhousing is deeper longer trans input shaft than car. MDL sells a T-5 adapter that lets you use a 94 up Mustang trans.

DesertRat#1 likes this.
  3. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

You are correct, it is a 1964 truck engine. The Y block book I have educated me about the rod length. If I understand your post, I can use passenger car rods and pistons and increase the compression a bit? The truck bellhousing shown is going away for a more suitable transmission setup. I am thinking C4 because I had one in my 65 Comet and it rocked. Nothing is off the table at this point. My thoughts are, split ground cam a little stronger and aluminum 4V intake if I can find one. Fabricate my own headers and exhaust and pondering on the carburation leaning to Eddy 500 AVS2 again, I already own one on my other car and I like them. Don't need a race car, just a good sounding good looking period correct (for me) engine bay and so forth. Lots of runway and I am still in the research stage but I will figure it out. Good catch on the motor, already set up oil pan wise and otherwise to go into my pickup.

waxhead likes this.
  4. Because SBF engines do not look traditional even though they have been around since 62. A Y block is a good looking engine, a SBF is not. I have a SBF in my 32 and its a great engine but looks out of place to me.

thirtytwo likes this.
  5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nothing sounds like a Y.
    Put some long glass packs on it and that's all the music you'll need.

williebill likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

The governer distributor's advance is pretty limited . The truck pistons and car pistons are both flat top compression ratios are about the same if you are going to rebuild finding HD pistons will be tuff. http://yblockguy.com/techtips/cylinder_head_mods.html

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The Y block is a great choice and a tough little engine. My avatar had a 0.060 over 292 for years. Ran a 350 cfm Holley and headers, got pretty good gas mileage and sounded great with headers and glass packs. Just remember to put the lifters in before you install the cam, timing set, front cover, balancer and oil pan. I learned the hard way...:oops::D

DesertRat#1 likes this.
  8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I wish I could triple like this statement , I don’t understand the brand loyalty in the ford in a ford guys, if they mean keep it somewhat original with a flattie I get that , but cutting it up for a late model motor that isn’t supposed to be there would seem to make the brand insignificant?