Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chasing T5 Vibration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wstory, Oct 5, 2018.

1. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

It's been a few years and I've scanned a buncha the previous threads on this issue and see no clues. Wondering if anyone has more recent experience or any new ideas.
    I recently replaced a 5 spd OD GM truck trans with a remanufactured T5. The only diff,... I had to shorten the drive shaft about 2". Everything else remained the same. Now like many others, I now have a significant vibration at 60 mph in 5th gear.
    * driveshaft balanced twice
    * driveshaft runs true, front, rear and middle
    * pinion angle and trans at 3 degrees
    * new OEM type trans mount
    Driveshaft guy stumped 'tho thought the driveshaft angle looked steep. I shimmed the trans mount and turned down the pinion angle.
    I've driven the car after each of the adjustments listed above with no significant changes to the vibration.
    Ideas appreciated!!!!

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bill are the u joints in phase?

sunbeam likes this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Are you sure the vibration is not inside the reman 5 speed? Wouldn't be the 1st re manufactured trans that was off a little. In this day and age, re-manufactured doesn't always mean it is good.

Past that, is the vibration rpm related, and present in all gears at the same speed, or is it just in 5th gear? Gene

GuyW likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Is the yolk into the transmission with just 1" left to go in till it bottoms out? If it is out too far it can cause a vibration.

5. Drive it in 4th at the same speed. If it's still there, push in the clutch and coast in neutral to see if there's any difference. If you still can't find it, put the car on jack stands and watch the driveline turn at a reasonable rpm. If you see drive shaft hop, you'll have an idea where to start.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I leave the yolks out. Just whites for me.

BJR, sidevalve8ba, Boryca and 2 others like this.
  7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I'm thinking transmission at this point. Vibration is only in 5th gear and under load,... acceleration and decelerating. No load or clutch in, no vibration.
    U-joints are properly phased. I have rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees with no change.
    I believe the "engagement" is correct. Will check that.
    New yoke is showing some wear after 4K miles.

8. The only time I have seen that, the 5th gear assembly went to pot shortly. It was high mileage, though.

9. this will solve the problem: Unknown.jpeg

bobss396 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the tailshaft bushing good? No slop?

I've experienced similar with a 700R4. In o/d and under load I had a slight but noticeable vibe - so I'd knock it down a notch and all was good. The o/d became a freeway cruising gear. When I eventually discovered the sloppy bush and replaced it the problem went away.

Good hunting!

Chris

Hnstray, LM14 and GuyW like this.
  11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

It's highly probable that it is the T5.
    Usually caused by too much end play in the gears, or too much clearance between the gears and the mainshaft [1st, 2nd, and 3rd are still in mesh , and will create a vibration without and load]

I've also rebuilt a couple where the snout of the mainshaft had excessive wear [where the bearing cage goes inside the input shaft]
    This will cause up-down movement when there is radial loads applied to the shaft in 5th

Hnstray likes this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see it mentioned if this vibration was in the car previous to the swap and IF it is there after the swap with all other things being the same (and working correctly before) the first thing I would look at is the transmission.

13. BJR

BJR

I did it again, didn't I.:eek:

scrap metal 48 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. I have had this issue on my Fairlane. No more than 1 inch out of the tranny when sittin level on the ground.

15. T5’s are common for input shaft bearing failure
    Was this a t5 that had the extension housing swapped? ( s10 housing on a camaro trans?)

Although not common the main and intermediate shaft bearings go as well.

They are cheap so should be done while rebuilding the trans.

Was the trans rebuilt OR refurbished?? Means two different things.

If all else stayed the same ( clutch kit, flywheel, driveshaft confirmed balanced, pinion angle etc, etc)

Then I would be looking at and in the trans.

16. I'm up with the tailshaft bushing (maybe has the wrong one installed or spinning?) being borked. Where is the wear on the front yoke? Obviously you have had this apart.

17. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Yes, a Camaro with an S10 tailshaft swap.
    I haven't scoped the depth of engagement but will check that. I'm pulling the rig starting tomorrow.
    Don't remember the location of the wear on the yoke. Will note that too.
    Thanks all.
    Also addressing the T/O bearing that has never been right.

18. Look up ULTIMATE T5 THREAD

it will give you the low down on these tranny’s.
    Not sure what, but in some cases when swapping extension Housings different bearings and bushings are required .
    Let us know what you find

19. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

It's Monday. I'm on the hunt. Will post what I discover.

20. Had a vibration with my T5 that is behind a 283 in my 34 but the vibration was only during acceleration and got worse the higher the gear. Had to replace the pilot bushing from a brass to a roller bearing and the vibration is now gone. I thing I damaged it when putting the trans back after a through out bearing went bad. Good luck and hope you find it.

rjones35 likes this.
  21. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Trans guy did a ride along today and while not admitting it may be the trans (yet), he has agreed to tear it down and double check all areas. He also asked that I bring the driveshaft and check the pilot bearing. He was very accommodating and I have a good feeling that ultimately we will find the culprit.

X38 and bobss396 like this.
  22. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Still waiting on trans guy. He's dealing with a very sick daughter and I want to respect that situation.

23. Galaxie390

Galaxie390

I dealt with a similar issue. The output seal fit the yoke but the bushing was too large. It didn't leak but vibrated only at certain speeds.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

The no vibration in 4th gear sez a lot. 4th does not place a load in the cluster gear is there a vibration in 1,2,or 3?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  25. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Don't know re 1,2,3. Vibration likes 60-70 mph that's about 2200 rpm. Doesn't vibrate at that engine rpm in the lower gears and 60-70 mph in 2nd or 3rd,....there's too much going on for me to decipher if there is vibration at at the higher speed.

26. oldsman41

oldsman41

I have had a few t5 trans with that problem always input bearing problem. The rebuilder sometimes aren’t great either.

27. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Latest,.......it's been painfully slow.
    Trans guy is scrutinizing every component. Prior to disassembly, the trans guy has discovered a .020" run-out and an imperfect balance in the driveshaft. I included the driveshaft for his search even though the local (highly regarded) driveshaft shop had checked it twice. Seems the vibration should be felt in other gears at the same driveshaft speed, right. So, inspection continues to be sure that some other issue is not the cause, or a contributor to, the vibration.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  28. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

While waiting for my trans diagnosis/repair,....I met two folks at this past weekend's Hot Rod, Drag Race & Burger event in Pomona.
    First guy had a really nice '34 truck with a 348 and 5 speed, 5 spd being a Camero trans with S-10 tailshaft. Had the same 5th gear only vibration. Second guy was a trans guy who's been around forever and works/repairs on a lot of old stuff,...automatics and manuals.
    First guy said "worn 5th gear". Second guy confirmed he has seen and repaired that situation before.

bobss396 likes this.
  29. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Final chapter I hope!
    Vibration is gone but we'll never know what the problem was, never an "I found it" moment. Oh well, gotta get on with my life.
    In the meantime, while the trans was down, I asked the builder to change the O/D ratio. Now it's .72 vs .80. (thinkin that gear set was the vibration problem). We're now happy at 70 mph @ 2150 rpm. Also re the vibration search, the car now has a 3x balanced drive shaft, lowered pinion angle, new OEM trans mount and raised engine/trans assembly (to improve the drive shaft angle).
    Noisy hydraulic T/O bearing is also resolved.
    Merry Christmas!