Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Banger help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66fora69er, Dec 19, 2018.

1. 66fora69er

66fora69er

My 31 Fordor banger will start and idle but when I push the gas it wheezes and dies. It'll start right back up and idle but I can't drive it. Before thanksgiving I wanted to wash it cuz my grandpa was coming. I fired it up and let it idle for 10 min. Drove it into the driveway and thought id take it around the block. Got about 50 yards and it died. Then it didnt want to start back up. Pushed it back into the shop after washing it and its been sitting. Today I started it and it would idle but wheezes and dies under load. Its all stock and I mean 1931 all stock with a Zenith carb. I went through the carb a few years ago to get it started but it has never wanted to stay running. I have monkeyed w the choke/adjustment knob(?) etc not joy. The timing has to be fully advanced to start it, not sure if that means something to someone. IMG_5656.JPG I tried the search feature but came up empty. Any help is appreciated. I am just south of Austin. Thanks and Merry Christmas

2. if it has to be fully advanced [left lever down] to start, the timing is off. it is adjusted by loosening the screw under the rotor and turning the distributor cam. if turning the choke/mixture knob doesn't change anything the carb is plugged, in the passage that runs through the "elbow", seen at the end of the choke rod at the bottom of the carb.

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Recheck your timing then close the choke valve (mixture) and open it back up about 1 1/2 turns. Make sure you have good gas flow to the carb. Remember that there is a pencil filter inside the tank at the shut off valve that could be plugged. Try and start again. Let it warm up some and adjust mixture until it smooths out.

66fora69er likes this.
  4. 66fora69er

66fora69er

I misspoke (i thought up was advanced), the lever left of the column has to be all the way up to start. After it starts the lever can be pulled downward and it will idle. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

5. 66fora69er

66fora69er

I have closed the choke screw and backed it out the recommended 1 1/2 turns. How to I access the pencil filter? When I open the drain valve at the fire wall gas comes out. I pulled the gas supply line and blew air through it, it was clear. Thanks for the suggestions

6. 66fora69er

66fora69er

Since it idles fine is it possible that when I take it out for a drive I am sloshing around junk in the tank and that is clogging the pencil filter? Is there an easy way to clean the tank? Thanks,

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

Also, make sure your vented gas cap isn't clogged.

66fora69er likes this.
  8. will it accelerate if you keep the choke pulled a little?

9. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/819988/

I went through something similar a while back. Might help. Was the knock out for the seat plugging off the fuel in the needle and seat.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

66fora69er likes this.
  10. 66fora69er

66fora69er

No. Doesn’t want to stay running choked

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 66fora69er

66fora69er

12. Your symptons sound more like bad condenser than fuel. Have you looked at your points lately?

F&J likes this.
  13. 3oldcars

3oldcars

If you don't have a pencil filter in your fuel shut off valve the curd in the tank could be clogging it up. Also make sure you have vented gas cap on the tank, not a radiator cap. It's an easy mistake to make.

66fora69er likes this.
  14. 66fora69er

66fora69er

I will check thanks,

15. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Condenser . . .

F&J and 66fora69er like this.
  16. If you don't have a spare condenser, buy one. You should have an extra under the seat anyway. Be sure to get a good one from a place like A&L or Bratton's. If they have two types, buy the expensive one. If you added your general location to your profile someone might have a carburetor that you could try to see if that is the problem.

Charlie Stephens

66fora69er and F&J like this.
  17. Does it rev up when there is no load on the motor ??

18. F&J

F&J

I just this week went through the exact same issues on a 31 A. When it would start to die, the choke really did not help. It would finally die no matter what I did to fight it to run, but it still had spark (but a bit orange), I could not get one pop out of it no matter where the advance was. Condenser was the issue.

I've heard about Model A condenser problems before, but I've never had any car condenser that was OK at times, then die, then next day would start Ok...but die again later.

66fora69er likes this.
  19. 66fora69er

66fora69er

It would not rev. Then it started to seem fine and would rev. Then after the 50 yard drive it would not rev

20. 66fora69er

66fora69er

Thank you for all of the replies and ideas. I will order a new condenser and try the rest of the suggestions. I'll report back.

21. Don't forget to clean and Gap the points or the new condenser may not be able to do it's job correctly.

22. cederholm

cederholm

Once you get the issue sorted you should remind yourself of the correct start up procedure. Here for reference.

~ Carl

23. 66fora69er

66fora69er

That is the start sequence I was taught by my grandfather. Thanks

cederholm likes this.
  24. 66fora69er

66fora69er

Will do. Thanks

25. FlyinA

FlyinA

Timing is huge, there’s plenty of resources online for timing a Model A. You’ll need a hand crank or you could push the fan belt if the compression isn’t too high(but make sure it doesn’t start!) Once your timing is good try to start it up again. Also check your gaps like mentioned before, http://www.modelabasics.com is a decent resource with good pictures, or a service book if you have one.

66fora69er likes this.