Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Best bang for your buck wiring kit.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I know this has been discussed before on the HAMB. But I used the search button and didn't come up with much so I'll bring it up again.

I was just under the dash of my 46 and decided the best way to address the existing wiring was to replace it. So now I'm looking for a good wiring kit. I was just about to order a Painless Universal Hot Rod kit and one of my buddy reminded me that it was addressed on HAMB and Painless wasn't the overall choice. Some of the guy's were recommending a different product.

So let me ask what have you DIY guys been using with great results??.

2. I've had great success with Rebel Wire and they support the Alliance! I believe that there are one or two more on here that support the Alliance as well. Check out the list of Alliance Vendors.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't used either (yet) but would say you want to pick one that has the best reputation for it's tech support along with a quality unit.

4. It sure ain't the cheapest but I am sold on the American Auto Wire kits, everything you willl need in in that box.

Every wire is labeled and the instructions are in color, I honestly believe my 10 year old granddaughter could wire a car using this well thought out kit. HRP

cpd682, deucemac, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ll second American Autowire.
    Nice kits.
    I’m just starting to install one of their Hwy 15 kits.

Chavezk21 and big duece like this.
  6. rjones35

rjones35

I don't see them mentioned very often, probably no the cheapest I guess, but I really liked the Centech kit I got for my Comet. They were great to deal with and helped me "customize" it for my car.

7. X2 on Rebel best bag 4 yer buc

8. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

got mine for my 52 at Speedway. Pretty straightforward easy to install.

samurai mike likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One thing I don't like about Rebel kits as compared to American Autowire is the way all of the wires are attached to the fuse panel and bundled from there.

I think it makes it harder to install.

American Autowire however breaks it down into packages for systems and you wire step by step back to the panel.
    Easier from my point of view.

On top of that AA is a more complete kit with switches and other things you need.

trollst, Chavezk21 and partssaloon like this.
  10. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Rebel Wire... Best customer support out there. You may be talking to the owner if you call!

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Kwikwire.
    Great quality and reasonable.

rust runner and olscrounger like this.
  12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

EZ-Wire makes a damn good harness. I've used 3 already

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used a Rebel kit in my '39 p/u. No issues and I'd use them again. If you want authentic instead of a generic kit check out YnZ Wiring in Redlands, CA. Not cheap but top notch and they will add turn signal circuits etc if you want.

14. I like Ron Frances wiring

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Rebel gets my vote.

16. As a novice, I stepped up for a Painless kit. I'm glad I did, clear, explicit directions, and I had very little problems wiring my first hot rod.

figure8 and upspirate like this.
  17. I have rewired with a Rebel, EZ Wire, and American Autowire. The American Autowire was by far the best with the best detailed instructions, but they were also the most expensive. On my next project, I am going to rewire mostly with just an aftermarket fuse block and a home made setup because it is simple with no accessories.

Chavezk21 and olscrounger like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used Centech, Kwikwire, American Autowire and painless as well. All worked well but I modify them to my needs. Understand Rebel is good to but have never tried one yet. Getting ready to do a 39 woody with an American autowire setup. Just did a 40 std with the same. These are hotrods with a lot of features.

deucemac and Chavezk21 like this.
  19. BJR

BJR

I used a Kwik Wire kit on my 49 Buick. Went in without a hitch, and everything worked first time. Can't do better then that.

rust runner likes this.
  20. chargin03

chargin03

American Auto Wire was easy.

21. I’ve used American Autowire three times. I wouldn’t consider anything else.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I used a Ron Francis wiring harness. Plenty of wire really good instructions and great tech support. Each harness has its own serial number so they keep information on file for each customers application. Not cheap but each wire labeled and very good quality.

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I use to park with Honest Charley @ the Charlotte Autofair a number of years ago and they sold American Auto Wire with great results. Mike Goodman was the BOSS at that time and they used AAW on their personal projects also...……..

Chavezk21 likes this.
  24. I'll vote like this; my car was built in 2014 and had a rebel wiring harness put in by the previous owner I bought the car from. I bought the car from him in June of this year. In the last month I have been fighting issues with turn signal lights and a bad universal turn signal switch. On three separate occasions I reached out to Rebel wire via email and spoke to a young man by the name of Jeremy who I have never dealt with before. Jeremy went above and beyond to stop and try to help me with my issues which were caused by a bad turn signal switch. How many of those other companies would help someone who didn't even buy a product from them, never mind that the prev owner bought their wiring kit 4 years ago!!
    I cant say enough about their customer service, wow! Rebel Wire FTW!

wandi harry, Joemama and mgtstumpy like this.
  25. morac41

morac41

I wouldn't use any of them ..do it your self and increase your knowledge..get the Tex Smith Electrical Systems by Skip Readio....has all popular Ford...GM...Chrylser diagrams plus Hot Rod section for mix -n-match generator..alternator 1 -2-3 wire types...Building your own loom will help you diagnose trouble spots in the future and may generate income fixing other peoples fault finding..Crazy Steve, on the forum, I'm sure would always give you advice if you were having problems sorting it out...his knowlege is exemplary on this subject ..

trollst and swervyjoe like this.
  26. I'm one of those who has to see the instruction book first and it was available before the sale. So I went Kwik Wire, an outstanding product.

Petejoe likes this.
  27. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<<<<<<<< Rebel Wire all the way, I'm using one now on my '51

28. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I agree with making your own.Years ago I bought a label maker and a bunch of clear shrink tube and a heat gun .They will last a lot longer than I will. I didn't like a lot of the kits as they had so much that I didn't need .

morac41 likes this.
  29. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have used American autowire, and painless. My next harness will be an American autowire. True they are a little more expensive, but well worth it.

30. deucemac

deucemac

I usually shop the boneyards for a luxobarge for the particular brand of car I am wiring. I choose the luxobarge because it is loaded with every electrical system of that brand. I then take a Centec Fuse block and a factory manual showing color codes for all circuits and slice and dice the wires I need for my car that I am wiring. When I sell the car, I tell the new owner that is wired in factory gauge and color code wiring and so tracing the wiring is no harder than using a factory manual. Each of the factories use their own color code throughout the line. If I get lazy, I buy an American Autowire kit matching my needs and go for it. But, one must remember that I really enjoy wiring and prefer my original plan.

alanp561, firstinsteele and morac41 like this.