Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. madmike3434

madmike3434

We accept all sinners and those that worship conflicting to the bowtie brands, IN MODERATION ...lmao

His OUT, is that he is a NEWBIE, gets everybody off the hook.
    mike

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think the question was as much about ever present "Traditional" guide line as the Ford insert. The H.A.M.B. period correct rule has been ignored on this thread for a long time.

Torkwrench, tb33anda3rd and r2c1 like this.
  3. madmike3434

madmike3434

Okay SIXBALL and TORKWRENCH, explain to those gattered here EXACTLY what a TRADITONAL CHEVY guide line is.

mike lynch

4. ^^^No words are necessary. I think the pics say it all.^^^
    33 Chevy Cpe CT34.jpg 33 Chevy Cpe CT14.jpg 33 Chevy Cpe CT59.jpg

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

6. madmike3434

madmike3434

so other than having my senses assaulted with multiple pictures of some early fords with 32 rad shell on it and out and out race cars that have absolutely nothing to do traditional HOT RODS.

So what your showing looks like fords that were dominant in the 1950's style, because that's what I see.
    Is there a DEFINATIVE CUT OFF YEAR , for the style of traditional street rods. ???? Must be 1960 as that was end of the 50's.

The green coupe says to me 1960's thru to 1990 style of hot rod.

As one who was very into cars starting in the 1955 year, I was 10. I do not remember seeing any early chevies, Plymouths, dodges, buicks, oldsmobiles made into STREET RODS. It was ford , ford , ford and more fords ad infinitum .

So I guess there should not be a bowtie and termites section, because we did not have any street rods exist . ???
    Hop up and all those early mags did they feature non fords street rods. I don't have any to consult thru.

My 3 1935 Chevrolets ( coupe , phaeton, roadster ) are all built as they would have been 1968---1990 .
    Is that a problem in the termites and bowties ???

Next thing you know we will have those jalopy guys over here with F this , and F that in their posts like a Jerry Springer show. One of those links posted was full of it.....

mike lynch

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Too much testosterone here... How about we get back on track to discuss and feature the early Bowties that we enjoy so much on this thread?

Fern 54 and biggeorge like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK Mike, not that I owe you any explanations, and I'm not here to enforce what Ryan and his crew used to enforce. The fact that you use the term "Street Rod" used to be enough to get a response from them. The forum that you and I both frequent "Rusty Bowtie", I think came about partly because many of our friends there were made to feel uncomfortable here because their builds did not fit within the timelines of the H.A.M.B. Originally there was a cutoff time for what Ryan had chosen as "period correct". It's his site so he can make the rules and if he chooses to he can enforce them. As far as I'm concerned post what you want.
    I'm only 73 so your experience may predate mine but I can tell you that in the early days Fords were not the only brand in the running. In the beginning hot rods were for racing, not generally welcome on the street, and were not called hot rods. If you check out the threads on this site on early racing you will see that. The roadster featured on the logo for the SCTA is in fact a '25 Chevy roadster with a four cylinder Chevy overhead valve engine that set records that stood for years. The '28 Chevy heads were used on T & A Ford engines. In the late teens Hudson and Essex dominated Pikes Peak. Studebaker has a much more impressive Indy 500 history than Ford. Ford probably emerged as a choice of post war rodders because the wood in other brands made them harder to piece together. (as you know) Chevy and Essex sometimes out sold Ford. Essex frames were sought after for rod builds. Wayne Horning never made speed equipment for Fords though he owned a Ford with a Chevy 6 in it. The project car of my brother's car club (1957) was a '32 Plymouth pickup with a flathead Dodge 6 that ate Ford flatheads for lunch. The dozen or so members cars included Dodges, Chevys, a Hudson, a Plymouth, a couple of Mercs, a few Fords, an Olds, and a VW. The local drags is what they did. Car shows were rare mostly late winter before the next race season.
    As I said in the beginning I'm not here to enforce or defend what used to be the rules here but they used to make the H.A.M.B. a special place, one devoted to the the glory days of rods and customs. I don't care what you build or how you choose to build it. Your work speaks for it's self in quality. Many like you have followed this thing through from your beginnings to the present in a nearly seamless transition. New trends and tech added along the way sometimes make it hard to tell where "hot rods" end and "street rods" begin but there is a difference. The H.A.M.B. used to celebrate the earlier because these cars were left behind by the aftermarket vendors and the automotive media. I let my Hot Rod Magazine subscription go in the mid 60s because it no longer dealt much with what I liked. The first thing I remember reading, that was not dictated by a school teacher, was a Bonneville article in a small magazine. I'm here on the H.A.M.B. because I still like that era of rodding. The newer stuff is everywhere.
    Please note that the H.A.M.B. is a part of the Jalopy Journal, those guys have been here a while F... words and all.

9. madmike3434

madmike3434

DSCF2893.JPG SIX BALL, yes I know you mostly from rusty bowties, not on here. I am the same age as you but what you saw growing up with cars and I did , has to be where we live.

Like I stated before, it was fords fords and more fords made into HOT ROD / STREET RODS ( 1935 and down ) is what I saw here in the Toronto area, we have a very large population. The only Chevrolet I saw was a 1935 coupe that was owned by Frank Agueci from 1962---1970 first with a GMC six and later a 422" olds heavily modified. I bought that car in 1970 and still own it, overhauled 3 times.

When did HOT ROD change into STREET ROD, not sure but I remember when it was happening in the magazines, probably NSRA of which I was the rep for all of Canada . To me a street/hot rod is a pre 1935 chevy car , and a 1934 ford and down. With the change in body style to fatter fenders is the separation, in my opinion. Fat fender cars tend to be customs more than hot rods. Even then 35-36 fords were popular and 1937-1938-and 1939 standard were considered ugly. People only started building them because the supply and prices of 32-34 fords started getting stupid.
    Nothing has changed, they still demand big dollars.

mike lynch

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    biggeorge likes this.
  10. madmike3434

madmike3434

torkwrench........so what's your opinions ??????

11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Basically, Traditional is Traditional. It doesn't matter if it's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Willys, Studebaker, or whatever.

The links that were included in my last post consisted mainly of Fords, because they were, by far the most popular make of the pre war cars and trucks to hot rod. This is especially true of those from 1936 and before. Even today, 1936 and older Fords far out number any other make. No matter if they are modified, or stock.

All of the photos that were included, are intended to illustrate the "Style" of the builds, rather than the make of the car or truck that was built. As far as the actual cut off date for The HAMB.....Generally, it's been 1964, with a bit of lee way included. This also goes for The HAMB Drags. The year 1964 goes for both the year of manufacture, and the era that it is built to. Again, with a little bit of lee way built in.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hamb-drags.1119291/

As far as photos of "Traditional Style" Chevys....Here's a few....Both street cars, and drag cars.

34 Chevy Hot Rod.jpg 34 Chevy Gasser Maroon.jpg 1933 Chevy coupe.jpg 1934 Chevy  sedan hot rod.jpg 1934 Chevy roadster Hot Rod.jpg 1935 Chevy Drag Car.jpg 37 Chevy Gasser Honduras Maroon.jpg Moody   Jones CG S 1937 Chevy.jpg 29 Chevy Gasser.jpg 34 Chevy 348-2.jpg 40 Chevy drag car.jpg 38 Chevy gasser.jpg

12. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

need so pics of a 35 firewall and toe boards to see how the fit mine was all gone Thanks

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. madmike3434

madmike3434

Attached Files:

14. madmike3434

madmike3434

1964 is the cut off year, okay

mike

biggeorge and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. madmike3434

madmike3434

another 33---35 chev inside floor and firewall , original 35 std sdn.jpg

mgtstumpy, Fern 54, nunattax and 6 others like this.
  16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

1964 was basically chosen because it is generally considered to be the start of the "Muscle Car Era". Most of the "Traditional Style" Hot Rod and Custom Car shows, (at least here in the Mid-West), have a cutoff year of 1964 - 1966.

The "Vintage" drag meets, generally follow this cutoff period, as well. The Meltdown Drags, Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest, The Fall-Out Drags, The Glory Days Drag Meet, (which is replacing The Meltdown), The Out-A-Sight Drags, (Brew City Gassers), all have 1966 as their cutoff date. This is tied to the introduction in 1967 of Camaros, and Firebirds.

https://vintagedragracing101.com/uncle-sams-pie-eating

These are the events that I've been, (slowly), building my 34 Master coupe for. Unfortunately, it's been on hold too long.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...d-coupe-1934-chevy-sitting-since-1959.270408/

Glory Days Drag Meet 2019.jpg Out-A-Sight Drags.jpg 4.jpg

mgtstumpy, Fern 54, PBRmeASAP and 4 others like this.
  17. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks I see they torched mine some on the bottom of firewall so I have the pics to go back to look and started at it yesterday.

Bowtie Coupe and biggeorge like this.
  18. madmike3434

madmike3434

here is a well done 33 I believe cabriolet fisher body firewall, should show you all the detail on firewall panel you need to see.. The square holes near the bottom lip are gm CAGED NUTS 1/4 or 5/16.
    mike note firewall lip 33 conv.jpg

mgtstumpy, Fern 54, nunattax and 4 others like this.
  19. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks I see where they butchered mine

20. madmike3434

madmike3434

I was able to find a cowl for my coupe and cut out the firewall part I needed to make the repair back to a stock fitting one. The whole lip that floor panel would sit against, was cut away for transmission clearance by prior owner.

Finding another cowl section should be difficult , but you get everything hopefully intact

mike lynch

21. madmike3434

madmike3434

That was the purpose of posting a really clear, crisp picture , so you can easily see all the detail.
    mike lynch

GuyW, Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks made a pattern yesterday and will get back on it soon

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Pics of some work 1224181335.jpg 1224181335.jpg 1224181332a.jpg

mgtstumpy, Fern 54 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. madmike3434

madmike3434

FLATMOTOR 40, what body style are you working on in the pictures. The back panel appears to be square for some reason.

I see by the cardstock that what you seem to be missing is the L & R foot floor risers that gives the correct angle for the floor boards. I may have another set ?

mike

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  25. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

It is ma standard 2dr sedan just layed the floor in not welded yet.I got the car and it was chopped up here and there.Cut the back half floor out last week and the wood at the back was gone with rot so replacing with metal as I have done all the other with metal but not welded in yet.Using 14 ga for all metal inside.Have done the doors and installed the power window units because the regulators that came with it was junk.Have days I can see how to weld and other days I have to stay away.Having eye troubles these days.But after welding and machining for some 45 yrs or so my regu lar job before retirement I guess I need to take it easy.

Attached Files:

Fern 54, TFoch and biggeorge like this.
  26. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I'll try to get pic of doors 1015161230.jpg 1015161230a.jpg

mgtstumpy, Fern 54, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  27. madmike3434

madmike3434

looks good, you put in a lot of time in fabbing the sheet metal for door.

mike lynch

28. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks it mounts the power window firm.Working on rear floor now sometime when I feel like it.Have 3 more cars to drive while I work on it

Bowtie Coupe likes this.