Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Coupster vs. Roadster differences???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nos1partstore, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Does anyone know if i can turn a sport coupe body (that is in pieces) into an actual roadster, just by getting actual roadster doors? This may be a stupid question....but what would be the major issues? I would be starting with a 30 sport coupe cowl, 30 sport coupe rear half, then buying actual roadster doors. And i do not have any subrails.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. F&J

F&J

No, the roadster has narrower doors, so the quarters are different length...and many other things are different.

3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Thank you....i wasnt sure about the quarter length

4. Squablow

Squablow

The opening in the body is also deeper in the sport coupe, so the roadster panel above the trunk lid (tulip panel?) is longer than the sport coupe one. And the top of the roadster cowl is different than the sport coupe one for the bolt-on windshield frame. Door hinge placement also different.

That's not to say you couldn't build a hot rod body out of those specific pieces, lots of people have, but it would not just bolt together, you'd have to do a lot of modifying.

Nailhead A-V8 and lurker mick like this.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I am building a '30 coupester.
    buddy hammerforms these door tops/caps for the coupester…
    I used '30 coupe doors to make these coupester doors...
    I also narrowed the cowl's A pillars and the door "jambs" … HIH. DSCN2188.JPG DSCN2105.JPG DSCN2102.JPG

EVL401, WC145, -Brent- and 7 others like this.
  6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Why not build a Sport Coupe?

7. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

8. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I built this coupster about 6 years ago....it could have been better with some engine finishes, and different wheels and tires 110_0934.jpeg

Okie Pete and dana barlow like this.
  9. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

A Model A sport coupe is one of the best looking Fords ever made. Doesn't matter if it is stock, hot rod or custom, it's a good looking car.

A roadster will always be a roadster but a converted coupe or sport coupe will never be a roadster.

Keep it as a sport coupe.

10. F&J

F&J

your opinion. not fact.

EVL401, Dannerr, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  11. chev34ute

chev34ute

This is a very popular topic. I got my first Model A parts last year, that were a failed attempt at a Coupester. The image below illustrates the main problem with coupesters. Keep in mind I don’t have any 30 Roadster Doors so I am using a spare 28 Door which is slightly shorter.

37coupeute likes this.
  12. chev34ute

chev34ute

13. chev34ute

chev34ute

The belt lines are at completely different heights and thicknesses. In order for the 30 Sports Coupe Quarter panels to fit the roadster door, they either have to be sectioned, or possibly pie cut to the same height. To me this seems like a waste of good Coupe Quarter panels. There is another option.

05snopro440 likes this.
  14. chev34ute

chev34ute

image.jpg Sell off the coupe quarter panels and buy your self an English Wheel and Shrinker Stretcher and make up your own.

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

[​IMG]
    Another vote for sport coupe! building a folding top frame isn't brain surgery and you have the best of both worlds plus less wind buffeting when the top is down ... but I'm doing the same thing with a bunch of '28-9 panels so I know the struggle is real...the best looking coupesters incorporate a roadster cowl/windsheild and coupe doors with caps like @sloppy jalopies ,narrowed inner jambs and a combing built around the back of the seat area...Sell your roadster doors to a guy who needs them and slice and dice some coupe doors. They are longer and create better access. The roadster doors are shorter so the whole car would be shorter as F&J said and illustrated by @chev34ute and would no longer mount on the stock frame mounts

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

30F64A2D-F078-4A4B-9570-7AA0B3365C7E.png C9504470-B797-4D54-90A9-D97A321796E9.png Also look at differences in belt lines, also the bustle appears to drop down quicker, this is definitely the case on 28-29s...,if you take your time narrow and cap the coupe doors , put a roadster windshield on it you can make a very good looking coupester that will fool most people

missysdad1 likes this.
  17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

… maybe Detroit kids could find a cheap roadster for building a hotrod...
    but some of the farm boys built what Grampa had beside the barn... coupe, tudor, fordor, or truck cab...
    many could not afford hotrod parts, so they took or cut off what they wanted gone to help make their hotrod... sometimes crude, but isn't there something traditional about that ! my $0.02.

GuyW, missysdad1 and F&J like this.
  18. missysdad1

missysdad1

Truth. Because of the shortage of roadster bodies and body parts building a really good looking coupester has become a modern day challenge for those who want an open car but can't afford a repro body. As "thirtytwo" points out the way to build a pleasing coupester is to follow a few simple rules in order to avoid having it come out looking like a Frankenstein. He has done it with great success and knows whereof he speaks. Good luck to the OP on his project!

19. True X2

20. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

very ambitious...but if you don't have those tools building a set of doors can be done with a basic bead roller and brake

21. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Coupster, '30 roadster cowl & doors, lengthened sport coupe rear quarters. DSCF0191.JPG

dwollam, Nailhead A-V8, Tim and 4 others like this.
  22. rudestude

rudestude

Friend of mine is doing a sport coupe it's looking nice but it was kind of a shock when he pulled the original top material off ...the factory didn't make any attempts at finishing the body work , including finishing seem welds, on the body parts that where to be covered by the top material it was pretty crude...he's going with the banger dropped beam axle and split bone's body will be stock...here's a couple shots from a magazine I was looking through I believe coupsters would be traditional... IMG_20181219_234055~2.jpeg IMG_20181219_233548~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I totally agree, and one of the nicest ones just sold on eBay earlier this month. Bob
    [​IMG]

GuyW, Cyclone Kevin and slv63 like this.
  24. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

That is Joe McClellend's old sport coupe. Joe "Mac" along with Gene Valdez was one of the original owners of Ford Parts Obsolete in Long Beach, CA. Unfortunately (!) this car now has a flathead under the hood instead of the Crager Four Banger. I remember him and his cars very well. He was one of my childhood influences that got me hooked on old Fords and speed equipment. After he sold Ford Parts Obsolete, he was a regular fixture at SoCal swap meets. He loved to talk about fast Fords and was a wealth of information.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Dannerr, GuyW and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

“Hop -Up” Mark Morton was the owner last that I knew of the Joe Mac Sport Coupe. I don’t watch eBay so I didn’t know it was for sale?????
    Oh well “Corona Joe’s” coupe found a new home....... ;).

26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

With a bit of creativity and some coupe doors, sans the window frames you could have yourself a very nice and different open Model A with roll up wondows...

Did someone actually say coupsters aren't traditional????????????

F&J likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I made my first visit to LA back in 1974 I got to visit Joe Mac. Holland Chrome Sprint car with a GMC I believe, a SOHC Fronty under a bench, '35 Roadster just back from a round trip to Bonneville the Sport Coupe, and a few others. I was impressed as well. Wonder who has the Cragar now. Bob

GZ likes this.
  28. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

That is awesome looking. How did you go about lengthening the quarter panels?

Nailhead A-V8 and Dago 88 like this.
  29. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I say build a sport coupe lol. Here's my Eskimo Pie, it has removable roof inserts or a compleyely removable padded top so you have the bestvof both worlds. 20170624_173224.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1pickup, EVL401, Outback and 12 others like this.