Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Is it possible that the cylinder wall is so thin it is distorting under pressure and losing ring seal? Did you do a sonic check on the cylinders?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The engine got very little run in before,heading West to B'ville. Is it possible that it is simply the rings weren't seated?

loudbang likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2nd ring in upside down? Worth a look..

4. Found the oil problem, the oil wiper ring on #4 piston was installed upside down. Can only blame myself for such a simple mistake.
    I damned near missed it, the cylinder bore just didn't look like it was seated like the rest. So I started looking at the rings and found the taper on the oil scraper was facing up instead of down thus pushing oil up the bore instead of down. A simple assembly error made by me...

5. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Pretty easy to do mistake, I know I have done it. I check them a few times before I install them now after I made that mistake!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That as much of a downer as it is, is a straight forward fix but the debris bouncing around in the chamber is a bit more worrisome I suppose. The evaluation has netted the culprits...

Next year will be very, very, different...and I do look forward to the belt tightening.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Good call jimmy six.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Ditto. Jimmy nailed it! I always wondered what would happen if you put the second ring on upside down. And I didn't even have to learn the hard way! Mark

Sent from the red phone

loudbang likes this.
  9. I have some Bonneville 2018 tee Shirts left. If you are interested I will sell them for $20.00 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 .
    Send a check and shirt size to
    John Mullen
    9428 Richmond Road
    Lanexa, Virginia. 23089
    Sizes are Med, LG, XL. XXL only
    Get some and support the team
    Thanks John....

kidcampbell71, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  10. AFTER THOUGHT....
    PM me to reserve your shirt orders. That way I can make sure I have what you want.
    Thanks for your support. John

loudbang likes this.
  11. Latest report
    Adding some more compression to the engine, cutting .030 More off the head.
    I also found the oil expansion ring on #4 was also broken. These rings are so fradual .2 mm I must be more careful installing then next time.
    Total Seal has a new set Comming with a little more expantion pressure than the 1st ones.
    1113181648a.jpg

Attached Files:

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Research papers I've read say if you polish the combustion chambers you will pick up another 1% - 2% in power due to better thermal efficiency.

[I know - I should have said something before you milled the head.]

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. The chambers have been polished I just glass beaded the chambers to clean the carbon off. They don't need to be shinny but should be smooth and not grainy.
    Update summary...
    New can driving this week from Schneider Cams. Same 255 duration but ground on a 110 centerline instead of the old cam ground on a 114 centerline. This will bring the power band down to a more usable RPM. Adding more compression, AED performance fuel systems have calibrated the carbs for Bonneville as well as the E.C.T.A. event in Arkansas. They use wet flow technology and personal experience tuning and matching my two carbs.
    I'm also adding a new rear shock package, and New 3 speed turbo 350 tranny. Looking forward to 2019 with great expectations.. 1217181219.jpg 1217181222b.jpg 1217181224.jpg 1217181222c.jpg 1217181225.jpg

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ho Ho Ho...Merry Recordbreaking Team XX/PP 640...;)

loudbang, INVISIBLEKID and D-Russ like this.
  15. Just want to wish all who supported the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special a Merry Christmas and a prospores New Year.
    Looking forward to the 2019 season..

16. New cam Arived Saturday, can't wait to check it out I'll have to check valve to piston clearances and degree it in..

17. 2 things, first merry Christmas and happy new year. Second, as I said in an earlier post on this thread, for those about to rock, we salute you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  18. I have had a hard time finding a Rollmaster CS4060 adjustable timing chain set. Finally found one at Murmmret machine. I should have it by the end of next week.
    Then the engine repair should get moving along again.
    On another note, I am honored to have been accepted to show the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special at Jalopyrama in April. We will be on the inside somewhere. I am so honored to represent the crew and all those who have supported the project. Thank you everyone

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    oj, chryslerfan55, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  19. Wow, what service!!
    I ordered a timing chain set from John Mummert Machine on Saturday and Bam it was hear today.
    Not only great service but a high quality part as well.
    #johnmummertmachime.
    #yblock.com #adjustabletimingchainset 0108191828.jpg 0108191828a.jpg

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you have a lot of choices for cam positioning.

loudbang likes this.
  21. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

Saw ya there ! Cool truck...
    SpdWk70P- 194.JPG

22. Finally got the cam installed and degreed in with a 108 intake centerline. This along with more compression will improve the overall performance of the engine. 0112191649.jpg 0112191650.jpg 0112191650a.jpg

23. Making Lexan Windows today, now just need to remove the protective film and install them... 0114191147.jpg 0114191147a.jpg 0114191208.jpg 0114191147b.jpg

24. Puting the engine together today and found that the 223 cam I had re ground has the fuel pump lobe mid way of the engine block and with the longer stroke of the 262 crank makes the rod contact the pump lobe on the cam. 262 fuel pumps are up front on the cam cover . so out comes the cam for a little machine work to remove the pump lobe.
    I should have seen this earlier but didn't. Live and learn lol...
    I'll post photos of the cams and what I do to fix the problem..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  25. The cam was very hard and took a while to machinedown. Slow small cuts removed the fuel pump lobe to clear the rod. Cam back in and degreed.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, D-Russ and 2 others like this.
  26. Short block back together today..and crank support girdle installed 0124191432a.jpg 0124191432.jpg 0124191013.jpg

27. 0128191502.jpg Instaling the crank trigger,balancer, timing pointer oil pump drive gear.
    I have installed the new cam with a 106 lobe center moving the power band lower in the rpm. This along with the added compression will give much better performance ..

28. loudbang

loudbang

Good you have something to keep you busy during this cold snap. :)

29. oj

oj

Lookin Good there John! I'll bet that lobe was hard as hell, I have the exact same lathe, what a sweet little machine. It was a good thing you had titanium valve, it bent and allowed you to investigate and evaluate. A stainless probably would have broken and then you'd have had a mess without knowing what was really going on.
    Looking forward to seein the truck in Easton, its a beauty.