Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tether car plans

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by AltKind, Jul 22, 2008.

1. AltKind

AltKind

Hi folks,

I'm looking to scratch build an old style tether racer with my son. After a pretty exhaustive search of the internets I haven't found any plans or similar.
    Anyone got anything they can scan, or maybe point me in the right direction?

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

gas powered or just a manually operated one?

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

4. If you can find the old Popular mechanics book titled THE BOY MECHANIC (there has been a reprint) it has several plans for tether cars.

5. DrJ

DrJ

http://www.tethercar.com/

http://www.amrca.com/

The second site has Aussie coverage.
    New and old cars.
    I know you need to balance the tether mount locations to the C/G fore and aft AND the verticle C/G.
    If the tether is mounted too low it will lift the inside wheels at speed, if too high it will "fly" the car off it's wheels.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  6. AltKind

AltKind

Gas powered is what I'm after. what do you mean by manually operated?

7. casper

casper

A manually operated car is called a "pusher" it does not have a motor. You still run it with a tether, but basicly you stand in the center of an area and just swing the car around in circles (you are powering the car!). Much slower and boring compared to the sound and smell (fuel) of a motorized racer! Good luck and have fun with your project.

8. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Just start off building a static model of one.....the main thing is to take the first step. Then build a second one if you think you can do better. Here is one I build many years ago. It has wood tail and cowl areas, and the sides are made from some 1/8" thick hobby shop plywood. The grill shell is carved out of a chunk of wood. The hood is .030 -.040 aluminum. The pan is some aluminum that I had a friend with a brake fold the sides down. The axles are threaded rod with an aluminum tube covering. The wheels and tires are model airplane from a hobby shop. The air cleaners are axle caps from a hardware store. The windshield is from a soda bottle! Give it a try, you will have fun!

Deuces, EL MOE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Here are some plans for a Bantam Midget......13" wheelbase......and a "loose" example of a Bantam Midget. Many were built, very few followed the plans 100%. Most Bantam Midgets had the main body made with (pine), and the frame rails made with (Maple). This example, the only wood used is the Maple frame and the blue painted pine tail top.
    11CA442F-C40A-4C35-890D-5C61A04FFFBA.jpeg DE44C4BE-37EF-4435-AC59-E23F91788661.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  10. chriseakin

chriseakin

I think some interior doors are made out of something close to 1/8" wood. Can probably find one for free somewhere.

11. A Boner

A Boner

Good idea.....now get building! Start by finding some suitable wheels and tires, and scale the car to those wheels. There is always a few cool looking tether cars on EBay, listed under "Tether Cars" .....find one you like, save the pictures and use them as a building guide.

12. Call Gary Arnold at TLC Enterprise.. Google TLC Tether Car . He is a world of knowledge when it comes to tether cars. He sells all types of parts and full kits. Good Luck. I started collecting and restoring w/ my sons when they were about 7 and we're still going strong. Enjoy.

13. A Boner

A Boner

He has been around forever.....but never bought from him. I'll have to check out his website.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8 years after the OP started this thread, he probably either got the car built or abandoned the idea.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Traditional 40's and 50's tether cars and repops are timeless and so is some of the info in this thread. If you lack the $ and the space to build a real hot rod, improve your skills and build a tether car from scratch, then move on to bigger and better projects when you can. It will also give you an idea of how much time it really takes to build something from scratch.

16. rnscustom

rnscustom

Hi all and Happy Holidays , finding myself interested in tether cars lately , I'm interested in building one . Above was mentioned Popular Mechanics , The Boy Mechanic had an issue on them , anyone know which issue or have one for sale . Thanks , Richard

17. A Boner

A Boner

How is your project coming?..... Just a follow up on my signature line.

18. A Boner

A Boner

Another (unfinished) Bantam Midget loosely built using the 1940 “Model Craftman Magazine”, blueprints from (post #9) above. I enlarged the image in the magazine to the actual 13” wheelbase dimension, on the blueprint.
    FC796006-1041-44E0-A220-B47828B4D23A.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    down-the-road, Deuces and EL MOE like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was never around tether cars until I went to the Goodguys show at Pleasonton in Aug of 1998 after going to Bonneville in a bucket list road trip. they had a track set up in a building and those things put on quite a show. I read about them in the late 50's and early 560's but my budget then didn't allow for buying the motor or other pieces that went on one.

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a tether car mold and I thought about casting some. I have not casted anything before and could use a few pointers! I think the mold is steel. Gary 20240326_152634_resized_1.jpg 20240326_152640_resized_1.jpg 20240326_152708_resized_1.jpg 20240326_152721_resized_1.jpg

21. I had a good friend who was in the business of reproducing pieces from lost wax casting. He found pieces of a tether car at a Model T club swap meet. The tail, cowl grill shell, belly pan and the axles are all castings from his molds. I machined wheels for him. I didn't have a lot of interest until I saw the tires he made from molds he engraved him self. I was, and still am astounded at the lettering detail on the tires. The springs are pieces of a band saw blade. He made a form to bend the hood and then made a die to stamp the louvers. He even sewed the upolstery. Tony passed about 15 years ago and I still miss him.

[​IMG]

22. Deuces

Deuces

23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Tether Cars come up for sale quite often on eBay as well as engines and other drive train components. I sold this Thimble Drome a couple years ago which is a more modern version even though I had it since the middle 50’s. IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0929.jpeg

down-the-road and Deuces like this.
  24. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

25. Dad bought me this Ohlsson & Rice teather car in 1956.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  26. A Boner

A Boner

890E80EF-2F36-4B1D-B0F9-54903B60745E.jpeg Here is my favorite O&R…sorry for the crummy pic. They are definitely the slickest looking mite cars.