Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gary Benway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodncustom, Jun 16, 2009.

1. rodncustom

rodncustom

I am looking to contact him. Does anyone on here know how to get a hold of him?

Thank you in advance.

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

If you are talking about the upholstery guy, he is in Mt. Morris Michigan. Not sure how much he is doing these days. I think he goes as the Mad Pleater, someone here correct me please if this info isn't correct

3. rodncustom

rodncustom

I think he does go by the name "The Mad Pleater". I am not looking to have him do any interior work for me. I want to ask him some questions about a car that he did some work on.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

PM Roadstar as he is the last person that I know of that had an interior done by him. This was about 5 years ago. He had his number then, not sure if he still does. From what Mr Benway was telling Roadstar and myself, Rudy's '40 was going to be just about the last interior he was going to do. He was planning on "retiring"......unless he really liked you or your car.:D If you do call him though just be forewarned, he can be alittle "grumpy" sometimes.

5. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

I think I can find his number tonight.... My dad is friends with him.

Last time I saw him he was selling stuff at the swap meet at billetproof detroit.

-Gary

6. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

My Dad said he mentioned that he might be moving?.. But I doubt he has yet?
    Not sure if this number is still good but here ya go.
    810-653-9567

like she said above.... he can be grumpy haha.
    -Gary

7. rodncustom

rodncustom

I just called that number and it has been disconnected. I will PM roadstar.

8. DeeDee1962

DeeDee1962

Hiya, I know I'm a little late, but I'm The Mad Pleater's daughter. Yes, we were at the Billetproof swap meet selling parts. He has pretty much retired, he just finished upholstering a really cool old truck for a friend, and told me it would be his last job. He took over the business from his dad in 1957, so I'm thinking he needs to retire...lol. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me. Thanks!:)

9. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I've known Gary for 40 years. He is going to do the interior in my 34 in a couple of weeks. Did you ever get a hold of him? I can get a message to him if ya want.

10. DeeDee1962

DeeDee1962

Gary Benway also known as The Mad Pleater (my Dad), is just taking limited work at this time. Thank you for your interest, Dee Dee.

Old upholsterers never die, they just recover:p.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wow. Cool to know.

12. 1940rpu

1940rpu

DeeDee1962,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    That is great news that the knowledge will not be lost. Your father is a legend in the area and his work has graced many nice rods and customs.<o:p></o:p>

13. booboomesser

booboomesser
    from Flint, MI

who is looking for interior work in the mid-michigan area

14. booboomesser

booboomesser
    from Flint, MI

Been working in Gary Benway's shop building a 1929 Ford Model A panel truck. Gary will be doing the upholstery on the seat and the roof.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From July 30, 2011

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From July 30, 2011</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From July 30, 2011</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Where ya at in our crappy city?

16. booboomesser

booboomesser
    from Flint, MI

On Mt.Morris Rd. in Mt. Morris township

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Near the high school?

18. booboomesser

booboomesser
    from Flint, MI

Yeah. My number is 989-332-5511 if you were looking to have anything done. ~ Joe Quinn

19. DeeDee1962

DeeDee1962

Thank you very much, that's a very nice compliment!!:DDee Dee

20. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

gary did my 34 interior a couple of months back. He still has the "touch". The interior turned out great.

Joey...I brought the Model A back to my brothers place. We will finish it in the Spring. Pleats has the seat for it just about done.

21. Slickwilly383

Slickwilly383

Gary Benway Is an awesome upholsterer! I remember doing lots of business with him when I worked for Frank and Tom Schreader. It's great to hear he's still getting it done. I havent been out to his place in over 10 years. But it is definitely one of the top 5 coolest places I have ever been to. :)

22. Gary is a.great.guy he did one.of.the nicest interiors I ever had done in my last 40 Ford coupe. I hope he is.dont well

23. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

Gary passed away on Thanksgiving day. RIP my friend.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Well crap. I hadn't heard this. RIP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Sucks. God speed to him.

26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Sorry to hear! He was one of the best! Did pop's roadster 30 years ago.

27. DeeDee1962

DeeDee1962

Rest in peace, Dad.

Attached Files: