Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Project creep, is it just me or does it happen to everyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"quick & easy" turns into car quicksand

Roothawg, 56don and mgtstumpy like this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

every time

Roothawg likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm finally on the vinegar stroke now, I had to draw a line in the sand otherwise I'll never get this car done. 10yrs now seems forever!

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do realize when you go back and edit your posts it makes me look like a Christmas fruit cake when I make timely sarcastic responses. I am deeply disappointed. :(:cool:

upspirate and Roothawg like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Traded for mine as a running but not drive able project. Knew going in I had to do brakes, wiring, and plumbing, no big deal. Got it all done, enjoyed driving it a couple of years, then the transmission started slipping. Way it was put in, had to pull motor and trans as a unit, so I did. Then got to looking at a 302 I had on a stand, some measurements confirmed it would fit where the 350 Chevy sat, so I pulled a later model 302 roller out of a pickup, added a AOD that was under the bench, and stuck it in. Then the fun started, I had to change everything! Mounts,exhaust,wiring, plumbing, radiator. Gotta make it all look better as I go. Oh ,while the engine was out was prime time to put in a power steering box and GM column. Two years on the redo, still not finished. Eight hours and $500 might get it back on the road, if I had time to work on it! When I got time, I never seem to have the money for what else I need or it’s not weather permitting to work on it. Oh well, springs coming in about 3 months....

Roothawg likes this.
  6. I started with 4 pieces of sheet metal 15 years ago, figured I'd have it done in 5, still have at least 5 to go. Project creep? more like full gallop!

Roothawg likes this.
  7. TERPU

TERPU

I have projects and when I don't finish them my wife does call me a creep. So yep happens to everybody.

Frankie47, Roothawg and olscrounger like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"While I'm at it" or "I ought to" have slowed progress on a lot of cars over the years mine included.
    It's funny that I took my 48 from a 75.00 running and driving beater to an upholstered and painted cruiser in 4 months in 1973 getting it ready to go to the street rod nationals in Tulsa and drove it to work every day except for about five of that 4 months.
    I worked swing shift at a Ryder truck rental shop in Waco at that time and would do some work on it when I got home at night and get up and put in about five hours a day working on the body work prepping it for paint and then drive it to work. I bought a set of 54 Station wagon drums and backing plates out of the wrecking yard in Crawford Tx and installed them on a day off. A buddy at work sold me a set of 68/69 Z28 Rally wheels with rings and three caps for something like 25 bucks. I picked up a set of used tires at the Firestone tire where I used to work because I didn't want to owe money on new tires. One buddy shot the paint while I was at work one night and another redid the seat and sewed a Tonneau cover for it
    I even swapped rear axles and the trans and driveshaft and installed a floor shift in one night after work and finished it up in the morning and drove it to work the next night.
    Today I got pooped cleaning up two wheels so I can mount tires on them tomorrow and only working a bit over an hour at it.

Frankie47, Roothawg and LAROKE like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt I will ever finish anything again.

Frankie47, Roothawg and scotty t like this.
  10. Chris...I finally figured a way around this conundrum.....I sold off everything I could, was able to qualify my old Rocky Goodtime Van [TM] for the Gub'ment clunker buy-back plan [got $4500] and was able to come up with a down payment...bought a brand new vehicle suitable for hauling parts. This got me away from dumping $$$ in an old daily driver..
    I paid the damned car payments and cussed every one but I was able to put all my time and effort into my 34 project, building it from the ground up but very slowly as money came in a trickle, even with selling junk at swap meets. Got the new car paid off just in time to retire with less income but I stuck with the 34 project for 10 years..no fucking a round with keeping my daily going except normal maintenance ..
    Now it's got over 100,00 miles but I didn't have to work on it while I was building the coupe.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D I’m innocent actually. I didn’t go back after I saw your response.

I went to my post immediately after I posted it by mistake to continue on and finish it.

Meanwhile at the same time I was finishing it, you were posting your timely ( quick witted) response.

You were pretty fast on the trigger for a fruit cake :D

So once I finished my post correction there it was, your lightning fast display of wit :D

Hope that makes you feel better.
    Now go have some more egg nog :D

upspirate, Roothawg and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bring the rum!

Blue One likes this.
  13. yep everytime. I bought a pretty original 68 C10 that was going to be winter rig. Just get a few things fixed, but as I have been driving it, I just cant leave it alone. So its coming apart this spring to become a short box and be painted, lol.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. I'm lazy and a procrastinator. driver projects get done to the good enough standard. Safe and serviceable then drive it.

Frankie47 and Roothawg like this.
  15. This desribes me pretty good. I'm fortunate to be making more money than I've ever made, but I don't have any time and my skills sure as hell haven't improved.

slim38 and Roothawg like this.
  16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Funny you should say that o/t but what keeps the lights on came in as a touch up! I feel where your goin!

Attached Files:

Roothawg likes this.
  17. Got away from bikes for years then I bought a Roadking,
    Go for a ride or work in the shed,there be the problem.

Roothawg likes this.
  18. bct

bct

sub standard work by others leads me astray all the time.

missysdad1 and Roothawg like this.
  19. mountainman2

mountainman2

Yep! And sometimes the "others" is me from an earlier time. The problem with long-term projects is that increased skills and improved pocketbook results in increased expectations. o_O

X-cpe and Roothawg like this.
  20. bct

bct

that too . 100%

Frankie47 and Roothawg like this.
  21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Seems that is how if goes, i into year 4 of what started as a gas tank replacement on a OT convert. the plan was to wait until retirement to start a major refurbishment.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Fish or cut bait? I'd rather drive a car than be camped out under it. If I had taken my Ford to final bodywork, paint and interior, it would have added a year to the construction. I got in going in 23 months, running and looking good enough. I fix things and make improvements now slowly and the focus is keeping the down-time as low as possible.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am also lazy and a procrastinator, but I have higher standards than abilities.

24. If I don't make a plan and stick to it, it won't get finished. Plus, my budget doesn't allow for too many "might as wells".

Roothawg likes this.
  25. X-cpe

X-cpe

The high school kid's conundrum. If I have a job I've got the money but no time. If I have the time, it is because I have no job, so no money.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I like to have a car to drive but....if I'm honest with myself, I much prefer building them. It gives me something to do with my hands and keeps my mind working.

farmer12, Chucky, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  27. ………….I KNOW.I'll never finish another one,,,I found a "new" hobby now that I turned 85;..
    she sure is sweet and never says "no"

LAROKE and Roothawg like this.
  28. upspirate

upspirate

My first was a '29 replica back in '85 in my street rod days. (no shame, gotta start somewhere, and I drove it 62,000 miles in 4.5 years, including towing a boat,camping, and drag racing....more than the "real" rodders were doing) I was just going to change wheels/tires, and tail lights. Then the steering wheel sucked. Then at NSRA nats I saw some covers that would mount a knock off and cover the lug nuts to look like more expensive wheels.Then billit engine dress up stuff. That's when I stopped and realized I needed to stop throwing money at what I had. Until I decided to change from an a/t to a 4 spd while the engine was out for hopping up.Then the org headlights and turn signals sucked..... scan0003-001.jpg

Roothawg likes this.
  29. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nothing I buy or trade for seems to be "as advertised". Looks good but under the skin are a million half-assed modifications or repairs that the seller "forgot" to mention. I'm in the middle of one right now that was sold to me as "needing a few suspension adjustments" that has turned into a complete frame-off reconstruction due to lack of engineering basics and shoddy workmanship. It's like a bloody onion - the more layers I peel away the harder I cry...

raven likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

Previous work to a car reduces it's value, to me.