Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello all y'all

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Barry Scales, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Barry Scales

Barry Scales

I'm Barry Scales. I'm in Tennessee and finally got myself a car from the '50s. I have wound up here in my internet research on multiple occasions. Thought I would go ahead and sign up and introduce myself.
    This summer I picked up a 1958 Biscayne that's mostly complete, but rough. It was last registered in 1974 according to the tags. It's an inline six with overdrive!
    I've put a starter on it. New coil and spark plugs and rebuilt the one barrel. Having trouble getting it to run right now. Seems to only hit on 2-3 cylinders and won't take off. I'm considering squirting a few shots of marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and trying again.
    As a kid, all I remember is riding in V8 vehicles and I love that V8 sound! I believe this was the first year the 348 was offered. It would be fun to find one some day, but for now, I'd like to give the six a little more opportunity. I've got a couple of 283 small blocks stashed away that would look appropriate in it as well.
    I'm not going to put an automatic transmission in it. The original three speed with overdrive intrigues me. I'm going to end with a question an keep doing my research.
    Do y'all know if I can get a bellhousing to connect a V8 to the original transmission?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Welcome, Barry. Good luck with your '58 project. What part of Tennessee do you call home? Do the first numbers on the plates there still indicate the county the car is registered in?

3. I see that 31 would indicate Campbell County.:).....Spent many of my early years in nearby Jefferson and/or Cocke Counties.:)

4. Barry Scales

Barry Scales

I'm in Rutherford county. No the numbers don't indicate the county in Tennessee anymore. There's a plastic sticker with the county at the bottom of the license plate now.
    I got antique tags for the car. The state will allow you to run tags from the year the vehicle was made and keep the modern issued plate inside the car. I got another pair of 58 tags, and my father told me they are truck tags. Gotta keep searching...

5. Welcome aboard

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Welcome aboard! Very cool 58’! I drove through Tennessee this past fall and really liked. Hope to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app