Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods S10 t-5 to flathead (crossmember)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. working on putting a s10 t5 into a 33 ford pickup behind the flatty. Got the cornhusker bell, my question is, how do I mount this thing in the factory x member? Obviously some changes need to be made,but is there anyone with pictures or info?

Converting to open drive and realized I need the trans in before I can set pinion

2. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i believe i read where some other vender bought up all of Chassis engineerings stuff,and is continueing

3. Anyone else? I would of expected tons of replies on this.

S10 2wd 5 t-5. Anyone cut the mounting 'fin' off the bottom and use just the 2 straight holes towards the rear to mount it?

Pics of mods to the crossmember? I'm not looking to buy a new one really or cut the X out.. only talking about the very center section that the front wishbone mounts to.

Anyone cut their flaty oilpan to get the flywheel out without removing the pan?

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Chassis Engineering is again making parts under the Heidts although there may be a wait. I always recommended their X member kit for 33/34 chassis using my kit. Order it with a B in the part number as they are made for a 350 trans and the mounting holes for the T5 are back further.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Are you wanting to use the stock unsplit wishbone? I haven't put a T-5 in a 33 before, but I could guess the big bottom of that trans will require a majority of the stock cradle to be cut out. If you are splitting the bones, you might as well just find pictures of the Chassis Engineering style parts and make some yourself. Leave the stock legs of the X in place, just drill out the cradle rivets.

There is a stock flathead oil pan with a removable lower section to the bellhousing area. I think it is from bigger trucks, and is hard to find. Not sure if it allows the whole flywheel to be removed, or just a large clutch.

6. Alchemy- yes,front is stock un split. I will split them if I absolutely have to however.

That's what I'm thinking,removing the rivets on the cradle and making something.

I've heard about that oil pan,you are right. But I'd like to modify mine since I have it anyway

7. alchemy

alchemy

See if you can find a pic on the web somewhere of the pan. It would give you an idea about how the factory ones were done. I would think if you had a donor pan you could cut each one long and make flanges that matched together. Kinda like doing body panel fabrication on your oil pan.

The more I think about it, the Ford version didn't have the area by the starter snout on the removable section. If that part stayed on the car I'm pretty sure you couldn't get the flywheel out. Musta been only for clutch replacement.

8. I think you are right,I had a hell of a time getting the pan off from around the flywheel and that area specifically was the reason (starter area)

9. Noswal

Noswal

I put a Mustang 5 speed with the S-10 tailshaft housing in my '46 Mercury and put a spacer under my wishbone mount to drop it down and cut the fin off the bottom of the transmission. I ordered the drop mount from Chassis Engineering, but unfortunately the Mercury mounts differently and the drop mount wouldn't work. I bought 1/4" black iron nipples one inch long from ACE hardware and longer bolts, worked like a charm to drop the wishbone. Still have the Chassis Engineering mount, if you want to PM me. Good luck with your 5 speed install. It really makes a difference with the flathead.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I put a T-5 in a 39 Ford and cut the fin off the tailshaft and used an s 10 mount . I used a Cornhusker's adapter. I converted the 39 to parallel leafs.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any flex problem with the Flathead and T-5 as I am going 8BA with hogshead, Dwight Bond adapter and S-10 T 5 in my 31 A.

12. Not sure what the post above is about?

Anyways,s10 trans needs the bearing retainer trimmed down and the input shaft cut for the pilot bearing, anyone know what I'm supposed to trim them to?

13. But what did you do to the x member cradle? Cut it out?

14. aldixie

aldixie

I’m using this from Macs Speed.
    BC653CF6-3144-4A63-A61F-E3A306215A98.png

15. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

as krylon 32 said,ive used all his kit and the x member kit.fits a treat.